External mount antenna for tablet (3G, 4G, Wifi)

johngoodin

Jun 13, 2012
Presently I saw a ad on TV to boost the range of your phone and wondered if there was something around that like this could boost your ability to use and pickup WIFI hotspots when traveling.

It consisted of a roof mounted magnetic antenna, cable, and powered phone cradle. Connected to the phone cradle was the antenna cable, and a power connector. It picked up a tower and was said to boost the phones range 20x. In one testimonial a user claimed he went from no bars to four bars.

That's fine for someone using a wireless 3G, or 4G plan and their android tablet supported it.

Are there any units that also boost WIFI where your tablet could set in some sort of amplified bracket? A product like this that only supported WIFI would be great for the the dirt poor snobs among us that can't afford a wireless data plan.

geofferyh

Jan 4, 2011
You might look into a Rokland N3 WIFI Adapter to supplement your WIFI access. I use it with my SuperPad (Flytouch 2) when traveling. At home I have a NetGear WN2000RPT Universal WIFI Range extender that works great. FYI:

Setup Rokland N3 WIFI Adapter
1. Turn the SuperPAD WIFI switch to “ON”
2. Turn “ON” the SuperPAD
3. From the Home Screen, select the “Applications” button in the center of the shortcut bar.
4. Locate and select the “WIFI Settings” button, then select to turn WIFI “OFF”. Go back to Home.
5. Connect the USB cable on the N3 to the upper-most USB port. The blue power LED is “ON”.
6. From the Home screen, select the “Applications” button in the center of the shortcut bar.
7. Locate and select the “WIFI Settings” button, then select to turn WIFI “ON”.
8. Note that blue power LED is still “ON” and is flashing to indicate signal activity.
9. Select the WIFI connection desired. Go back to Home Screen.

Return to internal WIFI Antenna
1. From the Home Screen, select the “Applications” button in the center of the shortcut bar.
2. Locate and select the “WIFI Settings” button, then select to turn WIFI “OFF”.
3. Unplug the USB adapter from the SuperPAD.
4. Once again, select to turn WIFI back “ON”.
5. Select the WIFI connection desired. Go back to Home Screen.