External SD Card confusion - How to find it

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
This took me a while to figure out, so I wanted to post just in case people were having trouble.

When you are browsing the directories, you will find a place called "\mnt\sdcard". This is not actually your sdcard! This is internal memory. I was confused about this for days, thinking it was my sdcard, but it actually is not.

To get to your actual external SD card, you need a file manager. I use File Manager HD, which was recommended to me on these forums.

Now, to get to the right directory from File Manager HD, you click on "Storage" which routes you to /mnt/sdcard. Once there, you can hit the up-arrow at the top to back-out of that directory. Here, you see "External_SD" as a choice. THAT is your actual external SD card.

You can use File Manager HD to copy files from internal storage (\mnt\sdcard) to your actual external SD (\mnt\external_SD). But you can never see your external sdcard on your PC when it's connected via USB...

Hope this helps people who might be confused, trying to copy files onto their external SD.

freakaphex

Apr 28, 2011
I use OI file manager.. I'm not quite sure what the difference's are but for a free one I like how it works.. But I might have to download file manager HD to try it out.. Do you know any of the difference's or is that one for a tablet it self?

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
They are probably all pretty much the same. I am surprised that android doesn't come with a stock FM. I use this one because I like the interface. But if you can copy and delete, and add shortcuts, that's really all you need.

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
I still find it odd that you can not view and edit the SD card via your PC.

sheba611

Apr 22, 2011
I still find it odd that you can not view and edit the SD card via your PC.

I wonder if it is a Honeycomb thing or limitation put in by Acer? Ridiculous to have to remove your sd card and plug it in to the PC separately to transfer files to and from it. I never have to that with my Droid X no matter which version of the Android OS I am using.

Tom_in_AZ

Aug 2, 2011
I think this is an Acer thing. The Toshiba had a shortcut link in the file manager for the SD Card.

Now the better question will be if using a Custom ROM if the same issue is still there. If so then Acer really didn't thin at all about a SD Card port and it was added in after the fact.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
You can view and install/delete items on your SD card through your USB cable on you PC this way:
Computer > Acre ICONIA Tab A500 > Internal storage > mnt (folder). There may not be a Internal Storage if you do not have media on you card, read on.
Everything on your SD card is accessed through this folder. If you ad media (i.e. music or video) to you SD card then there will appear a drive when you open Acer ICONIA Tab A500 in Computer. BUT! it will not show everything else you have there. You will have to open the mnt folder.

vatanak

Dec 28, 2011
Hi, there, i have just had the problems that you are mentioning on the post above. I am using file experts app. And when i click on the home , i got to see two directory. One is SD Card and the other is Internal Phone Memory. Here is what makes me very frustrated. The files on SD card are not on my external card, they are actually the internal one. Surprisingly, when i get to the Internal Phone memory, i see that my really external sd is here with the name sdcard,

So the internal card directory is "/mnt/Flash" and my real external sd card is "/sdcard"

So now what should i do?

chad2104

Dec 4, 2011
Thank you, I have thought the same thing for a few weeks now! That explains why I could not find my movies, but I could find them with the video player!

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Don9992

Jan 20, 2012
I loaded the Astro tool right after I bought the A500 and its file manager works well enough that I've never considered getting another one.