Files And/Or Apps Cannot Access SD Card

haku100

Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Whatever I do, whichever dedicated app for file transfer to SD card I use (most notably Link2SD), invariably produces failure. In Link2Sd, with movable apps, I get an error message: "Failure / LINK2SD could not obtain root access / If you have root access, make sure you respond "Allow" or "Grant" to the superuser request."

Now all this is perfect gobbledigook to me.

First, why would such a simple device as a memory card in any computer behave that way: being seen by the machine, but not allowing it to be read?
Second, what is "root access"?
Third, if someone explains to me how to obtain that mysterious root access, how do I respond to the "superuser" request.
Finally, what is "superuser".

No documentation mentions any of these things...

If anything, Android in all its forms is under-documented.

Thanks for any answer, which will enable to accomplish that simple operation: transfer most if perhaps not all files to the extra memory I dearly bought.

Best and thanks.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Several versions of Android by default do not permit the SD card to be directly written to by apps. Your options are these.

1. Check to see if your device has a firmware update which does not have this restriction.
2. Learn how to root your tablet, then use an app - there are several - to remove the restriction.
3. Get a new tablet which doesn't have this restriction.
4. Leave everything as is and learn to deal with the restriction.

Regarding the MicroSD, in Android the only purpose of the MicroSD is to store your things, such as pictures, music, movies, books and so on. Google removed the ability to store app data on the MicroSD because the slow read/write speed of the MicroSD compared to internal memory compromised performance. This is the same reason behind the Nexus and Pixel devices not having MicroSD card slots.

haku100

Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thanks for the swift reply.

Up to a point, this problem seems without solution.

Except for item 2. Which begs the question: how do I really root my device. Most instructions to that effect (at least via dedicated apps) give no results whatsoever and strand on - again - Google induced obstructions; or send the user in absurd pillar to post situations. Most frustrating.

In other words, where can I find a proper solution to root that tablet (and, by the way my phone, too)? A solution that works?

Thanks for showing me the way.

HK

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
XDA-Developers Android Forums

Head to the link above, search for your devices, and start reading. Rooting instructions for your tablet may be problematic, depending on make and manufacturer. Your smartphone on the other hand should be no trouble.

haku100

Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thanks for the XDA link. Most useful for my phone as predicted in "Traveller"'s message... but zilch for my tablet.

It seems that my Medion Lifetab S10346 (in fact a Lenovo tablet) obstinately refuses to acknowledge the SD card, even if it "sees" it and mentions its existence at startup. I don't even know how to transfer photos and files to it - even if the latter is supposed to be possible. Trying to use a file transfer app does not work and results in error esoteric messages like freeing Superuser or whatever.

Totally frustrating! Because why would a SD card slot have been provided for if it's no use to the user?

Best regards,

H

haku100

Jun 18, 2017
Many thanks "Traveller". Will try this out in the coming days. Feels like it's going to work!

I'll keep you informed.

H