First blush, I don't like ICS

lostinamerica

Feb 10, 2012
I don't like-

• vibrate on touch is too harsh and won't turn off.
  • sound on touch was on and isn't making a sound.
  • Icons in browser bookmarks waste screen space and can't be gotten rid of that I can find.

What is the gain with ICS? A new font on the clock and date don't blow my skirt up.

The sound on touch is there, albeit quite a low level. Still not able to stop vibrate when typing like I could with Honeycomb. That could be annoying when in close proximity to others. I've read where some have their tablet re-boot when connecting to WI FI. I haven't experienced that, but it takes longer than before. And for a while it wouldn't automatically connect to my home WI FI, I had to select it (or it was just taking a long time) but it seems to get there now.

yes the haptic feedback can be shut off slider control on the lower left of the virtual keyboard. But not from the selection in the settings control. I hate stuff like that.

I do you get some some screen glitches and the occasional app crash.

A500, never rooted, clean install.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It sounds like you just need to figure out some settings issues. The advantages of ICS are speed, stability, a uniform application of the OS arocss menus and apps, fewer hidden sub menus, previews of widgets, improved recent apps list, faster better stock browser, improved gmail and mail apps... usually people find better battery life, bluetooh, wifi and SD card support too. So yeah there is a lot to ICS.

You can probably fix the three issues listed. Give it some time and you might notice improvements.

JP

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
[*]vibrate on touch is too harsh and won't turn off.

I have no problem turning this off, but I wish it was adjustable like it was in Honeycomb. There is a check box in sound settings.

[*]sound on touch was on and isn't making a sound.

Well check your volume control.... Its a very soft click sound

[*]Icons in browser bookmarks waste screen space and can't be gotten rid of that I can find.

Yup, that's gotta get fixed. The nice thing about this is there are lots of browsers to choose from.
Try Chrome https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome&feature=search_result

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
The click is a lot lower volume now... And when typing I can not turn off the vibrate option even though the check box in not checked.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The click is a lot lower volume now... And when typing I can not turn off the vibrate option even though the check box in not checked.

What keyboard are you using?
Some keyboards, such as swiftkey, handle haptic feed back separate from the system settings?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Stock keyboard, what bothers me most is that the length of the vibration is fairly long, so it will eat battery if you are typing a lot. Would be nice if the clicks were louder too, with volume all the way up I can barely hear them.

Is there a place to send bug reports to Acer?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Stock keyboard, what bothers me most is that the length of the vibration is fairly long, so it will eat battery if you are typing a lot. Would be nice if the clicks were louder too, with volume all the way up I can barely hear them.

Is there a place to send bug reports to Acer?

Ok, well, I thought my message about keyboards handling haptic feedback separate from over all touch vibration would have been enough to send you searching, but I guess not, so here it is......

Tap any text field
When the keyboard pops up tap the little sliders icon (lower left)
Tap Android Keyboard settings
Check the boxes for vibrate or sound on keypress as desired.
Tap advanced settings
Tap Keypress vibration settings and use the slider to adjust the duration ( I like 30 milliseconds, ymmv)
Tap the sound volume settings and adjust the volume

Seems to me that both sound and vibration are overkill, but its up to you.

Don't be filing bug reports with Acer till you've exhausted your local options

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Were those setting in a different place on 3.x? I seem to recall setting those in the regular settings on the older version.

Is there a place to adjust the volume of the click when you touch an app? Now that the keyboard is fixed I'd like to make an adjustment to the app launching click. Stock launcher, didn't see anything in the general settings.

As too why I want this feedback, often capacitive screens do not react when I touch them so I like the sound to confirm something really happened. Haven't had much luck changing sensitivity and getting the result I want so the sound seems to work best.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Those settings are accessible via the regular settings panel by pressing the little sliders icon at the end of each line.

Not always available for all keyboards from there, but most mainstream keyboards can be set that way.

You should try Swift Key. It learns your language, and much of the time, guesses words prior to your typing a single letter.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Well it is obvious that there is a little relearning to be done with this OS, thankfully there is very little I'm not happy with. My only app crash so far was Winamp, I think I fixed it by uninstalling and re-installing, but I haven't tested everything yet. I did disable a few apps, need to go through and kill a few more that I never use.

At least it wasn't a step backwards like so many of the "updates" for my Archos generation 8 tablet, lots of obscenities for those updates, went back to the very first Froyo update to try and find some amount of satisfaction again.

ebookof

Apr 28, 2012
I don't like the ICS either... and forget the comment regarding increased stability...

Apps are unstable (they flash rapidly and then crash), including Gmail which I cannot use at all (I have tried to uninstall and reinstall... but the same issues continue).

I have also tried to use the new folder option, but here also, suddenly the folders start to flash before the whole thing crashes leaving only the wallpaper and not option to restart the whole tablet.

Like many other persons, my wifi is also unstable. It fails to connect when I arrive home (it used to before), once connected, it disconnects and does not connect back automatically.

I have tried to obtain help from Acer, but they are not really helpful. They only suggest to wait for an update, but do not seem to have an idea on when this might be.

Is there any possibility to return back to Honeycomb in the meantime? The new version does not provide a lot of improvements, anyway.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
You need to reisntall, something is quarky. You shoudln't have any display issues like that.

Benchmarks show it is much faster. I like it. Also when working nwith windows 8 remote log in options, and the right soft, you get almost cloud computing speed (within decent latency).

OTA's make me nervous. I have had OTA's on a phone go wrong. I prefer a good pc download and manual isntall myself.

I had a droid charge bricked fromk their OTA, and many HTC's had issues when they over pumped their servers.

Try to download the official on XDA and re install it. People report perfect results from that.

I was lucky to get oen direct fro ma family member who works with acer, I sorta don't trust OTA's even tho friends had no issues.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
Oh anyone notice in order and chaos online, the bad camera angle zoom in issue is gone? Thank god.

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
ebookof said:
I don't like the ICS either... and forget the comment regarding increased stability...

Apps are unstable (they flash rapidly and then crash), including Gmail which I cannot use at all (I have tried to uninstall and reinstall... but the same issues continue).

I have also tried to use the new folder option, but here also, suddenly the folders start to flash before the whole thing crashes leaving only the wallpaper and not option to restart the whole tablet.

Like many other persons, my wifi is also unstable. It fails to connect when I arrive home (it used to before), once connected, it disconnects and does not connect back automatically.

I have tried to obtain help from Acer, but they are not really helpful. They only suggest to wait for an update, but do not seem to have an idea on when this might be.

Is there any possibility to return back to Honeycomb in the meantime? The new version does not provide a lot of improvements, anyway.

I just did my second factory reset and wipe now all is calm. Was having the same issues you were having. My problems seemed to be linked to a gameloft game. Now that they are gone no more problems. I suggest you do a backup and reset your tab. Then install your apps 1 at a time and do a quick test. I'm not a fan of ics either however it is running pretty stable for me.

Just remember that Acer couldn't test every possible app conflicts that a person could have.