format large usb flashdrives

Appychappy

Jan 24, 2011
I zonked one of my large flashdrives (256gig) fat32. I checked it with test drive it was no good. I tried winxp disk management ntfs format but it knocked it back. In desperation I tried hp formatting utility fat 32 dos but it said the volume was too big. Then I tried the trial version of direct copy . i tried to copy the good flashdrive to the crook one but it crashed overnight and they were both stuffed. I downloaded swissknife and while I was waiting I stuck a flashdrive in the win7 laptop ready to operate on it. Up popped a popup saying the drive needed formatting - proceed? I clicked yes and it did it in less than 2 seconds - fat32. So there you go.

Appychappy

Jan 24, 2011
Update
No it didn't format fat 32 , it formatted to ex-fat. This is ok on win7 but no good for android or xp. although I think you can get the update for xp.
So no good.
I have contacted kingston for assistance but I notice the data traveller dt300 is a discontinued line so I won't be holding my breath.

Appychappy

Jan 24, 2011
Well kingston said click start>run>cmd. type 'format (drive number):/fs:fat32' there is a space between format and drive number only, no apostrophes.
This worked but fell at the last step.
So I tried the unconditional command /u using drive e: thus format e:/u/fs:fat32 but it didnt make any diff.
So it looks like it's going to be stuck on exfat. I'm going to try ntfs using this method but I dont think it will work.
In the end I used the freebie Minitool partition wizard and formatted both drives to fat32 no problem

Last edited: