free alternative to n2a

soleil123

Sep 3, 2011
Are there any free alternatives to n2a?

I am looking for a rom image that contains everything i could need (market, pre selected apps, etc..) that I would just need to download to an SD card and boot from there.

The only thing i could find was n2a but you have to pay for it. why don't free alternatives exist???? with other devices many people are happy to share their custom made roms with everyone, but for nook, everyone seems to want to go through the whole process themselves :confused:

soleil123

Sep 3, 2011
I don't want to sound lazy or ungreatful but there are 28steps to your guide. I'm sure for most of you experienced android users it wont take more than 10minutes, but for a first time user like myself it will probably take quite a bit longer. Not to mention i will then have to install all the standard software anyway (skype, dolphin, angrybirds etc..), i'm estimating the whole thing at two hours... Now if you multiply that by the number of nook users, there are some serious time saving possibilities if someone were to packages every thing in a single file and create a 3 step solution (download image, write image to sd card, boot nook with sd card)

I remember my old windows 6 phone, there were many roms with everything preinstalled, why is there nothing of the sort for nook? (except that n2a thing which you have to buy)

Stumblethru

Feb 12, 2011
Probably because one size [or 20 sizes] won't fit all and keeping up with changes would be next to impossible.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Probably because one size [or 20 sizes] won't fit all and keeping up with changes would be next to impossible.

This is exactly right and why CM7 has tended to be more popular on the nook than Phiremod or Ultimatedroid which are somebody else's additions to CM7. It might look like a lot of steps but that is because it is highly detailed to make it very easy to do. It only involves downloading 3 files, one to burn an image to the SD card, one for the CM7 ROM and one for Google Apps.

As far as downloading apps from Google once you have the ROM running it really doesn't take that long to get apps. Perhaps if you wanted to do dozens and dozens of apps it would but you are only talking about some of the basics. With broadband you should be able to do the whole process in under an hour including getting 4 or 5 apps from the Market.

Last edited:

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Since the N2a only comes with;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Google Android 2.3 Gingerbread with Android Marketplace
  • Download 1000's of free apps including Angry Birds, Facebook, and Netflix
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~
You will need to load your own apps anyway.

If the 28 steps seem too confusing, and in the interest of efficiency (and also for your own peace of mind) you should spend the thirty-two bucks and move on into Android bliss.

Last edited:

frodo

Feb 5, 2011
I don't want to sound lazy or ungreatful but there are 28steps to your guide. I'm sure for most of you experienced android users it wont take more than 10minutes, but for a first time user like myself it will probably take quite a bit longer.

Sure it takes a bit of time and from my posts here you can see I'm also a total noob and have made all the mistakes, but have learned so much along the way it's been fun. So i suggest - give it a go. If it's not for you then 2 hens is correct - the n2A cards aren't that much and their support appears pretty good too.

Cheers,

edit, sorry only 1 hen and 2 ducks! doesn't the hen get lonely? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
So you're saying you want someone else to do all the work for you but don't want to pay them for the effort? You're not likely to find what you're looking for. Either pay N2A to do the work, or do the work (which isn't too difficult) yourself. I mean come on..you asked for a free alternative and immediately criticized when you were presented with one.

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
After all; You DID buy an EREADER, not an Android tablet. (or was it a gift ?)

Aren't you wishing you'd never brought it up ?

soleil123

Sep 3, 2011
So you're saying you want someone else to do all the work for you but don't want to pay them for the effort? You're not likely to find what you're looking for. Either pay N2A to do the work, or do the work (which isn't too difficult) yourself. I mean come on..you asked for a free alternative and immediately criticized when you were presented with one.

Are you part of the cm7 team? Did you pay them anything? I'm guessing no (but i could be wrong in which case I apologize), most of us are freeriders and i never claimed to be different or ungrateful...

Also, from what I gathered the N2A guy is making money off of other peoples work. Apparently, he is just some random guy who created a web site and is selling those 28 steps in a single sd card. I'm certainly not giving HIM any money!!!!! In fact, since the scene seems so OK with what he is doing, I may try to make a few bucks myself on ebay and amazon... except i'll call my card "nookleus" ;)

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Are you part of the cm7 team? Did you pay them anything? I'm guessing no (but i could be wrong in which case I apologize), most of us are freeriders and i never claimed to be different or ungrateful...

Also, from what I gathered the N2A guy is making money off of other peoples work. Apparently, he is just some random guy who created a web site and is selling those 28 steps in a single sd card. I'm certainly not giving HIM any money!!!!! In fact, since the scene seems so OK with what he is doing, I may try to make a few bucks myself on ebay and amazon... except i'll call my card "nookleus" ;)

No, I'm not part of the CM7 team. N2A has an excellent reputation as far as I know. They give full credit to CM7 and others on their front page. They are really only charging for the card itself and labor. My point is you asked for a free alternative to N2A and immediately criticized the one that was presented to you as too much work. As others have said, it's not very difficult at all.

I caution you to tone down the attitude. This is a friendly board and we'd like to keep it that way. Thank you for understanding.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Maybe I'm beating a dead horse here but the entire point of rooting and installing custom software should be a learning experience. If you have no desire to learn, then perhaps the N2A option is for you . I really don't agree with the whole N2A thing but I'm old school (just my opinion). I install custom software and highly experimental, cutting edge stuff and, sometimes, I get cut by it but by doing this, I learn. If I wanted an out of the box experience with no work, there is always the ipuke. Sorry if I sound harsh but you have access to some of the greatest people in the world here on the forums who are happy to assist you in your project. All you have to do is ask and help will be freely given but no one here will do everything for you. I am always willing to help anyone who wishes to learn. Either PM me or post here if you have that desire. Good luck to you which ever way you choose to go.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Are there any free alternatives to n2a?

I am looking for a rom image that contains everything i could need (market, pre selected apps, etc..) that I would just need to download to an SD card and boot from there.

The only thing i could find was n2a but you have to pay for it. why don't free alternatives exist???? with other devices many people are happy to share their custom made roms with everyone, but for nook, everyone seems to want to go through the whole process themselves :confused:

Do you mind Soleil if I ask you a question, personal I guess..how old are you? Because if you were really really young like 4 or 5 years old I would tell you: not everything in life is free......why? ...that's life! But we can collect few bucks famong us for you to buy your card and be happy, right guys?

gloria

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Either buy it or don't buy it and do it yourself. Either way, you'll need a SD card. It's about convenience. I bought one and have no regrets about my purchase.

It's no different than buying groceries at a store versus planting your own garden and running your own farm. Convenience.

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Either buy it or don't buy it and do it yourself. Either way, you'll need a SD card. It's about convenience. I bought one and have no regrets about my purchase.

It's no different than buying groceries at a store versus planting your own garden and running your own farm. Convenience.

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Tablet Forum

Good point but I think a better analogy would be buying ice at the store or making ice in trays.

:D

JP