"FREE" thethering vs doing the bluetooth thing????

brit5467

Nov 8, 2011
I know nothing about this. But just talked to T-Mo about using both choices (mentioned in title) and said Bluetooth was not for internet connection.

and I'd have to pay $15 more for tethering for data connection. I just found this "highway robbery" esp. since I saw somewhere in web that I could "bluetooth" into the data plan.

Understand...I dunno know nuthin about all these "terms" of technology. But am trying to learn. And am trying to GET OVER and not get raped by T-Mo since I pay them already and don't use all I pay for.

Any help? Other than the ROOTING thing. Don't think I'm techno intelli enough to do that yet......lol

brit5467

Nov 8, 2011
Addition == just asking == when I do the thether, do they really know I'm using my phone data plan? They said they could, by the strenth of the signal.

And asking again - if I use bluetooth, will that let me connect to data plan incoginto and still get internet access?

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
Initially we were all under the impression that rooting and subsequently teathering was worry free. Now though, we are told by the phone companies that they can tell. Anyway, from my limited experience (rooted Evo), and limited tethering (not too often), I have had no problem. From reading, it appears that if you do not use it too much (definition of that thing called "too much"), you will probably be ok.

brit5467

Nov 8, 2011
So ya think they just tell us that to 'scare' us into paying extra? I didn't understand how they could 'monitor' what sort of device was accessing my data plan...ya know?

And as far as rooting, tethering, and bluetooth....even tho I've googled those terms and read a lot about it all, most times it's over my head. Can you either define or post link to a simple explanations of each?

Am probably wrong, but was under the impression that rooting meant "going into" the phone and changing things so that it was no longer under warranty. Still not clear on tethering. And thought bluetooth was for wireless headsets (or ear things) and if so, that if my tablet was bluetooth compatible then that would mean it could connect to my phone as well, therefore...it could utilize my data plan???