Freshly Rooted Nook - Questions, questions, questions...

OldDogEyes

Mar 4, 2011
When I received my NC today it had the 1.01 firmware installed. So the first thing I did was sideload the 1.1.0 update... That went fine.

Then I created my SD card and the root seemed to go fine. But I have some questions.. If anyone can answer these, I'd be most appreciative:

1. I seem to have four different programs that control buttons: soft keys, button savior, home switcher and zeam. I think I understand what home switcher and zeam do (home switcher sets your default launcher and zeam is a launcher). But I don't understand the role of soft keys (which came with the root) and button savior (which was touted in the forums). Can anyone explain the differences?
  2. Is there any way to disable or reassign the "quick nav" button (the soft button above the 'n')? I don't care if I ever get into the B&N interface and am tired of hitting that button by accident...
  3. I have an HTC Evo and have grown accustomed to holding the home button down to launch the program switcher which allows me to see the last 6 programs I ran and easily switch between them. While I like Zeam, I can't seem to find this functionality in the settings... Am I missing something or do I need yet another app/widget for this?
  4. I like the Zeam interface (kind of reminds me of HTC Sense in some ways) but there are times when the Zeam interface is gone and I have no way to hit the back button. I'm guessing that I need another app for that... Is that what button savior is for?
  5. Another question about Zeam... When I long-press the screen to install something, both the "shortcut" and "folder" options just return me to the home screen and don't seem to do anything. Do I need to install an app for that functionality to work?
  6. Another thing I like about my HTC Evo is that I can just hit the search button and be typing directly into Google... The default search function seems clunky ... after I type in my search I have to select "search the web" to do a Google search. I did find a way to add a widget for Google search but it takes up one whole row across the screen. Is there anyway to have a search icon where I am typing directly into Google but it's not taking up space on the screen?
  7. Are there any apps that will allow a reboot? I'm finding the Nook power switch to be unpredictable and frustrating.
  8. I am unable to sideload any apps. I followed the instructions in nook tools that gave the steps to configure the nook to allow sideloading. But even though I unchecked the box, checked it and rebooted, I cannot install an APK file. When try to copy it to the /System/App folder as instructed, I get the message that the folder is write protected. I do have root explorer installed but cannot figure out how to change the permissions for that folder.
  9. And that is also causing me to be unable to install my favorite keyboard... The instructions in nook tools seem to indicate that I also have to put the keyboard apk file in the /System/App folder. Is that true?
  10. I can't find some apps in the Android Market and still have the old-style market. Will I get the new Android Market automatically or do I need to do a manual update? If manual, does the vending file go in the /system/apps folder?
So... I'm sure most of these problems can probably be chalked up to user ignorance (me)... And I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
Doug

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
When I received my NC today it had the 1.01 firmware installed. So the first thing I did was sideload the 1.1.0 update... That went fine.

Then I created my SD card and the root seemed to go fine. But I have some questions.. If anyone can answer these, I'd be most appreciative:

1. I seem to have four different programs that control buttons: soft keys, button savior, home switcher and zeam. I think I understand what home switcher and zeam do (home switcher sets your default launcher and zeam is a launcher). But I don't understand the role of soft keys (which came with the root) and button savior (which was touted in the forums). Can anyone explain the differences?
    Both Softkeys and Button Savior provide you with a missing back button that can be available from any screen. Most Android devices have a hard button for this, so softkeys/button savior is used
  2. Is there any way to disable or reassign the "quick nav" button (the soft button above the 'n')? I don't care if I ever get into the B&N interface and am tired of hitting that button by accident...
    No way to disable or remove it, it is part of the B&N ROM. The only way to get rid of it is to move to a custom ROM
  3. I have an HTC Evo and have grown accustomed to holding the home button down to launch the program switcher which allows me to see the last 6 programs I ran and easily switch between them. While I like Zeam, I can't seem to find this functionality in the settings... Am I missing something or do I need yet another app/widget for this?
    This is another limitation of the B&N version of Android
  4. I like the Zeam interface (kind of reminds me of HTC Sense in some ways) but there are times when the Zeam interface is gone and I have no way to hit the back button. I'm guessing that I need another app for that... Is that what button savior is for?
    Yep, See my response about softkeys/button savior above
  5. Another question about Zeam... When I long-press the screen to install something, both the "shortcut" and "folder" options just return me to the home screen and don't seem to do anything. Do I need to install an app for that functionality to work?
    Both of those don't work properly while in the B&N, but if you open your app drawer and long press on the app you want to create a shortcut for, the app drawer will fall away and you can move the shortcut where ever you want. The folder issue is a known issue with Zeam and B&N
  6. Another thing I like about my HTC Evo is that I can just hit the search button and be typing directly into Google... The default search function seems clunky ... after I type in my search I have to select "search the web" to do a Google search. I did find a way to add a widget for Google search but it takes up one whole row across the screen. Is there anyway to have a search icon where I am typing directly into Google but it's not taking up space on the screen?
    See my answers about the limitations of the B&N version of android
  7. Are there any apps that will allow a reboot? I'm finding the Nook power switch to be unpredictable and frustrating.
    You may have a hardware issue if you are having issues with your power button, it should be working flawlessly, unless you aren't actually pressing the button, do you feel the click when you press it in?
  8. I am unable to sideload any apps. I followed the instructions in nook tools that gave the steps to configure the nook to allow sideloading. But even though I unchecked the box, checked it and rebooted, I cannot install an APK file. When try to copy it to the /System/App folder as instructed, I get the message that the folder is write protected. I do have root explorer installed but cannot figure out how to change the permissions for that folder.
    You don't need to copy basic apk's into the system/app folder, you can install from wherever...what file explorer are you using? From Astro or the like, simply tap the apk and choose install.
  9. And that is also causing me to be unable to install my favorite keyboard... The instructions in nook tools seem to indicate that I also have to put the keyboard apk file in the /System/App folder. Is that true?
    You will need a root explorer with r/w access to do this.
  10. I can't find some apps in the Android Market and still have the old-style market. Will I get the new Android Market automatically or do I need to do a manual update? If manual, does the vending file go in the /system/apps folder?
    You won't find apps that are not compatible with the NC as far as Android is concerned, like if an app requires fine GPS settings (since the NC doesn't have GPS) You may have to search for the apks online and sideload them.
So... I'm sure most of these problems can probably be chalked up to user ignorance (me)... And I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
Doug

See my answers in RED above

lexic

Mar 5, 2011
[*]I have an HTC Evo and have grown accustomed to holding the home button down to launch the program switcher which allows me to see the last 6 programs I ran and easily switch between them. While I like Zeam, I can't seem to find this functionality in the settings... Am I missing something or do I need yet another app/widget for this?

Button Savior and Soft Keys both have settings to make this possible. I use Button Savior and i you long-press the virtual home key it shows last used apps.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Button Savior and Soft Keys both have settings to make thC
is possible. I use Button Savior and i you long-press the virtual home key it shows last used apps.

Thank you Lexic,I just installed button savior and I didnt know... .it's great. Come to my thread -just SCREENSHOTS" to post yourscreenshot when you are ready with one... it's in "theme and wallpapers"sub.

Gloria

dmlew

Mar 8, 2011
Is there any way to disable or reassign the "quick nav" button (the soft button above the 'n')? I don't care if I ever get into the B&N interface and am tired of hitting that button by accident...

With Zeam, you can, in fact, get rid of the quick nav button. Long press on your screen(be sure you're on the Zeam "desktop" and not the B&N one) in a blank space, then tap Preferences, then tap Fullscreen. This will get rid of it. You may need to rotate your screen back and for so that your dock will occupy that space. As for reassigning it, you may need a custom ROM for that. I have no idea, I too am very very new to Nook Color and Android (Nook Color being my first android device) and have no knowledge of these things. These forums were immensely helpful in turning my NookColor into an awesome tablet though :D

I have an HTC Evo and have grown accustomed to holding the home button down to launch the program switcher which allows me to see the last 6 programs I ran and easily switch between them. While I like Zeam, I can't seem to find this functionality in the settings... Am I missing something or do I need yet another app/widget for this?

You can accomplish something similar with Zeam. Long press on your desktop, tap preferences, tap Action Bindings, tap Home Button. This will give you a list of things you can do with your home button when you press it. Double Tap does the same thing with two button presses, but is apparently not working on my NC

That's about the best I can answer with my severely limited knowledge of the platform.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
  1. I have an HTC Evo and have grown accustomed to holding the home button down to launch the program switcher which allows me to see the last 6 programs I ran and easily switch between them. While I like Zeam, I can't seem to find this functionality in the settings... Am I missing something or do I need yet another app/widget for this?

Doug

For this one, I can help. If you are using Softkeys and Zeam, softkeys will show you the last few apps you used - so, if you program softkeys as I outline in the article in my sig, when you press the physical "n" button once, it loads softkeys and you will see recently used apps at the top of the screen, if you press the physical "n" button twice it loads Zeam. (This is accomplished in the softkeys settings area under 'Physical Home Button' and you want to set it to 'One press softkeys, Two presses launcher')