Frozen Coby 7022

miller0613

Nov 18, 2011
I am completely new to messing with the android system and this will be my first tablet. I will be recieving ( won from ebay) a Coby 7022 that will turn on but freezes at the android guy with the hand welcome to mid7022 screen. I bought it because it was pretty cheap and from what I have read on here researching inexpensive tablets I believe that it may be able to be revived. I am thinking that it either needs to be wiped and do a factory reset but like I said I am new and maybe it cant be but I enjoy a challenge. So.... am I on the right track? I should be recieving the tablet monday so I have some time to do some reading. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Adam

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
This thread should have all the info you need:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...d-recovery-cm7-working-coby-kyros-7022-a.html

But if it's brand new, it shouldn't freeze during boot. No tablet should, unless it is defective.

after installing clockworkmod 5.0 flash this stock backup

www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-g...-anyone-have-stock-rom-7022-a.html#post133151

I flashed that a month ago and my tablet is so much better than before. Before I was having random freezes and google.com for some odd reason would make the tablet slow down so much it was unusable (had to avoid google.com altogether). After flashing that stock backup and restoring all my apps with titanium backup the tablet has been so much better.

miller0613

Nov 18, 2011
After doing some reading I have downloaded the update.zip from here update.zip but I am unsure of how to install it as the tutorial I watched on it they had a functional tablet and updated via about device system updates so I am not sure of how to install them. Also I downloaded trickbiker121's stock rom. I am just looking for some advice (maybe step by step) how to load these on the device without a fully functioning tablet) Sorry for all of the questions

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
After doing some reading I have downloaded the update.zip from here update.zip but I am unsure of how to install it as the tutorial I watched on it they had a functional tablet and updated via about device system updates so I am not sure of how to install them. Also I downloaded trickbiker121's stock rom. I am just looking for some advice (maybe step by step) how to load these on the device without a fully functioning tablet) Sorry for all of the questions

can you boot into fastboot mode? (menu + power) button

if so then use adb to flash recovery (if you don't know what that is then read this)

Here are the two links for clockwork recov and cm7
http://androtab.info/files/tcc8803/cm7/20110619/EM73-8K/EM73-8K-recovery-signed.zip
http://androtab.info/files/tcc8803/cm7/20110619/EM73-8K/EM73-8K-cyanogen-signed.zip

You will need to extract the recovery zip because the recovery img is in it. Go download the android sdk(google it) and when it's all done and installed go to this site(Free download button at the bottom)
https://rs823tl4.rapidshare.com/#!download|823l33|380196682|AdbWinApi.dll|106|R~FB49C2FE0EB6A2A643527172EE0A5F05
and download this dll. It's called apdb32 something like it but anyway place that dll after you download it in your androidsdk\tools folder.Also put the recovery.img in the tools folder. Now turn your tablet off. Hold down the Menu button while turning it on you will get a message saying reset or plug in usb. Plug in your tablet to your pc and let windows install all the needed drivers(about 15 seconds). Open a command prompt and browse out to the tools directory once your sitting on that directory type 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' once that's done(5 secs) type 'fastboot reboot'. Your tablet will reboot and you know have CM recovery. I'm assuming you know how to install cm7 from recovery.MAKE A BACKUP FIRST.

miller0613

Nov 18, 2011
Ok so here is the deal I got the tablet and it will turn on and someone has messed up the software it seems. I can open up as usb mass storage and there is a titanium backup folder with nothing in it. I tried to do the factory reset but when i do i get to clockwork mod recovery v4.0.1.0 screen and none of the buttons work. I have installed the android sdk on my computer but do not know how to open a command prompt and browse out to the tools. when what appears to be the command prompt box shows up when I try to type nothing happens. Please let me know if I can fix this. It seems like it just needs to be returned to factory spec but I get past these issues above. Thanks again.

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Open command prompt in sdk-tools folder. You can shift click or right click then there will be option to open command prompt in windows. From there with usb development enabled you type adb devices and it should show up

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

miller0613

Nov 18, 2011
should I see a device in my avd manager. When I look at the devices on my computer I have android sooner single adb interface but I cant seem to access anything in android sdk

miller0613

Nov 18, 2011
can someone walk me through step by step from opening up android sdk to getting to open the command prompt in the tools folder. when i open sdk manager a command prompt box opens first (which i cannottype anything into) the sdk manager opens up and that shows all the intalled and available platforms but nothing else. In the tools tab I can open up avd manager and another command prompt that I can not type in. Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to figure this stuff out.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Are you running Windowze? Simply open a command prompt window and cd to the tools folder (on Mac, adb is actually in platform-tools, the tools folder is for emulator, DDMS and other stuff).

As nba said, you can navigate to this folder using Windows Explorer and then open a command prompt window there. If you use "dir" you should see adb.exe. To use it, simply type the commands, for instance:

adb devices
adb shell

miller0613

Nov 18, 2011
yes I am on windows but is this from the sdk manager? I am confused because only have the manager and no option to open a command prompt. and what what is "cd to the tools folder"? sorry for being such a newb

smalcom

Oct 15, 2011
yes I am on windows but is this from the sdk manager? I am confused because only have the manager and no option to open a command prompt. and what what is "cd to the tools folder"? sorry for being such a newb

When you connect the tablet to Windows, it should show up as a new device (disk drive) on your desktop. You can then open a command prompt window (All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt) and navigate to that drive using MS-DOS commands (cd=change directory). If you are unfamiliar with using the command prompt, I suggest you find a geek near you who can help. It is beyond the abilities of a user forum to teach you the basics of using the command prompt. You might see if you can get a copy of MD-DOS for Dummies. It might help. Sorry we can't be of more help, unless another member can pick it up from here.