FYI: This car power adapter doesn't work with ACER A100

dmtchico

Jan 4, 2012
Just thought I'd share this info.
I purchased this car adapter off of eBay a few weeks ago and I finally found out why it does not work with the ACER A100 (as it is described to do).

This adapter does not regulate the output voltage.
It puts out whatever the car puts out, which is more that 13 volts with the engine running on my 2009 FORD F150.
When the engine is not running, the car cig plug puts out less than 13 volts and then this adapter does work with the ACER A100. But, since 99.99% of the time I want to use it when the engine is running, this adapter is of no use to me.

I used a voltage meter to perform my tests and verified the voltage outputs when the adapter works and when it does not.

Another car adapter that I have DOES regulate the output voltage to below 13 volts and it works perfectly with my ACER A100.

SO, I'm just saying, don't expect this particular DC Car adapter to work with the ACER A100.

$This Cig Adaper does not work.JPG

dmtchico

Jan 4, 2012
Just thought I'd share this info.
I purchased this car adapter off of eBay a few weeks ago and I finally found out why it does not work with the ACER A100 (as it is described to do).

This adapter does not regulate the output voltage.
It puts out whatever the car puts out, which is more that 13 volts with the engine running on my 2009 FORD F150.
When the engine is not running, the car cig plug puts out less than 13 volts and then this adapter does work with the ACER A100. But, since 99.99% of the time I want to use it when the engine is running, this adapter is of no use to me.

I used a voltage meter to perform my tests and verified the voltage outputs when the adapter works and when it does not.

Another car adapter that I have DOES regulate the output voltage to below 13 volts and it works perfectly with my ACER A100.

SO, I'm just saying, don't expect this particular DC Car adapter to work with the ACER A100.

View attachment 6714

=============================================================

The eBay seller replied to my last message to them, in which I described the problem again and left negative feedback.

They said that they are sending me a replacement unit and asked that I retract the negative feedback.

I replied that if the replacement unit actually does perform correctly then I will 'believe' that the original one was merely a single defective unit and that I would retract any and all negative feedback/posts about the product.

I told them that I have already purchased a different DC car adapter from a different seller, and that it works good with my ACER A100.

I'm a Show Me guy (with a multimeter), so I will wait and see and report.
I just don't want ACER A100 owners like myself to get stuck with falsely described accessories for it.

dmtchico

Jan 4, 2012
=============================================================

The eBay seller replied to my last message to them, in which I described the problem again and left negative feedback.

They said that they are sending me a replacement unit and asked that I retract the negative feedback.

I replied that if the replacement unit actually does perform correctly then I will 'believe' that the original one was merely a single defective unit and that I would retract any and all negative feedback/posts about the product.

I told them that I have already purchased a different DC car adapter from a different seller, and that it works good with my ACER A100.

I'm a Show Me guy (with a multimeter), so I will wait and see and report.
I just don't want ACER A100 owners like myself to get stuck with falsely described accessories for it.

I just received the replacement dc adapter and, as I suspected, it does not work either, just like the first one.

The car adapter does not regulate it's output to be less than 13.? volts.
Thus, the ACER A100 protects itself, by switching off it's internal charging circuits.
This can be seen, by watching the 'Battery Menu' of the ACER when the car is not running,
and when it is started. I also, checked the car socket voltage output and the adapter's
output voltage and saw no regulation of the adapter's output voltage.
A different dc adapter that I bought DOES regulate the output voltage and works perfectly with the A100.

I hope this helps anyone thinking about buying this dc adapter for use with their ACER A100.

nok610

Feb 15, 2012
I just received the replacement dc adapter and, as I suspected, it does not work either, just like the first one.

The car adapter does not regulate it's output to be less than 13.? volts.
Thus, the ACER A100 protects itself, by switching off it's internal charging circuits.
This can be seen, by watching the 'Battery Menu' of the ACER when the car is not running,
and when it is started. I also, checked the car socket voltage output and the adapter's
output voltage and saw no regulation of the adapter's output voltage.
A different dc adapter that I bought DOES regulate the output voltage and works perfectly with the A100.

I hope this helps anyone thinking about buying this dc adapter for use with their ACER A100.

Can you tell us know which adapter you bought that works with the A100?

turbocoop

Oct 9, 2012
Yes I realize this thread is pretty old, but still.... Thats weird because I installed an A100 in my dash and hardwired it to my car's DC wiring, which is around 12V with the engine off and about 13.8-14.4 while the alternator is charging, as you know... It charges mine just fine with the engine on and 14+ volts (I have a voltmeter on the same circuit as the A100)... Im gonna look into lowering the voltage going to the tablet because if what you say is true, I might mess something up. Thanks for the tip

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
The tablet has a built-in regulator. And yes there is another regulator in the OEM plug pack - the two work in tandem. What I like to know is how you connect the hardwired cable to your tablet. The male plug is an ACER OEM plug which is very difficult to get - you jyst can't buy them at the electronic store. Unless you have hardwired there as well or you have spliced an original plug pack cable.

The tablet may be able to accept 14.5vdc. But less than 12vdc it will not charge. From my understanding a rechargeable battery NIMH needs over 12.8vdc to begin the charge cycle.

Last edited: