Galaxy Tab 2 worth the wait?

Derap34

Mar 2, 2012
Currently considering getting the Galaxy Tab 10.1, but as the Galaxy Tab 2 is slated for a March release in europe and probably not far off in the US/Canada could it be worth it to wait on this newer device?

The only difference I have been able to find so far are:
- Android 4.0 (ICS) Preloaded (Possible to load 4.0 on the galaxy tab is it not?)
- Speaker location changed
- Budget Model available possibly saving $50-150
- A more 'plastic' case?
- Alternative CPU's available

Doesn't seem like it's worth the wait or am I missing something?

Uses will include general internet browsing, video/audio playback, GPS, apps/games etc.. basically everything it has to offer.

ALD3

Mar 10, 2012
Here is my 2¢ worth. I personally would wait for the 10.1 tab 2. Even tho almost every thing is the same, there are 2 major differences to consider. I own the 5710 10.1wifi and the 6210 7.0+. The Tab 10.1 does not have a micro sd slot and the Tab 2 will have it, the Tab 1 has honeycomb 3.2 which does not support moving apps to sd card even if the tab1 had a micro sd slot. The Tab 2 has ICS 4.0.3 and it does support apps to micro sd card. my Tb 6210 7+ has a micro sd slot and HC 3.2 so it also doesn't support apps to sd card. I also have the piece of crap Novo Paladin with ICS 4.0.3 and it does support app to sd card. WAIT it will be worth it.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I just ordered a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (found a deal I couldn't refuse!). If what you listed are the only differences, I don't see the point in waiting. The GT 10.1 IS getting ICS, from what I've read it will probably be pushed to the devices in Q2 of this year. It doesn't have an SD slot, but if you really need one, there is a dongle you can use. I have most of my stuff stored in the cloud (Dropbox) so I don't mind at all that it doesn't have one.

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Sue7M3 said:
I just ordered a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (found a deal I couldn't refuse!). If what you listed are the only differences, I don't see the point in waiting. The GT 10.1 IS getting ICS, from what I've read it will probably be pushed to the devices in Q2 of this year. It doesn't have an SD slot, but if you really need one, there is a dongle you can use. I have most of my stuff stored in the cloud (DP) so I don't mind at all that it doesn't have one.

And the best reason of all is not endlessly waiting for the next best thing. Lets be honest, if you can wait for a couple months you probably really don't need a tablet (or a new tablet) anyway. ICS isn't such a big deal anyway and you WILL get it eventually, maybe even before you could get the 10.1 2.
Congratulations, you are going to love your new Samsung!

J_Waller

Nov 12, 2011
I just ordered a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (found a deal I couldn't refuse!). If what you listed are the only differences, I don't see the point in waiting. The GT 10.1 IS getting ICS, from what I've read it will probably be pushed to the devices in Q2 of this year. It doesn't have an SD slot, but if you really need one, there is a dongle you can use. I have most of my stuff stored in the cloud (Dropbox) so I don't mind at all that it doesn't have one.

One thing to remember, the GT 10.1 DOES have an SD Card. Mine has a 32 gb card. Thing is, since there is no slot, the card is built into the tablet. It functions no differently than tablets that have an sd card slot. Because of this you have the 10.1 available at different prices depending on which sd card you buy with it, 8gb, 16 gb, etc. The obvious advantage of having a slot is that there should be only one price for the tablet, and and you can buy the sd card that fits your budget, moving to a larger one later.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
J_Waller said:
One thing to remember, the GT 10.1 DOES have an SD Card. Mine has a 32 gb card. Thing is, since there is no slot, the card is built into the tablet. It functions no differently than tablets that have an sd card slot. Because of this you have the 10.1 available at different prices depending on which sd card you buy with it, 8gb, 16 gb, etc. The obvious advantage of having a slot is that there should be only one price for the tablet, and and you can buy the sd card that fits your budget, moving to a larger one later.

Actually most tablets have an internal SD card, the external SD (usually microSD) that some tablets have is generally either for media transfer/storage or in some cases, like both my Transformer TF101 and Galaxy Tab 7 plus, it is simply a second drive with full read/write capability allowing for expanded storage.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Actually most tablets have an internal SD card, the external SD (usually microSD) that some tablets have is generally either for media transfer/storage or in some cases, like both my Transformer TF101 and Galaxy Tab 7 plus, it is simply a second drive with full read/write capability allowing for expanded storage.

Bet you never thought you'd be saying that a few years ago ;) We sure have come a long way now that SD and uSD hard are "hard drives" and "secondary drives".

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
J515OP said:
Bet you never thought you'd be saying that a few years ago ;) We sure have come a long way now that SD and uSD hard are "hard drives" and "secondary drives".

That's for sure, and I'm old enough to remember booting a 128k Macintosh from a 3.5" floppy disc....