Galaxy tab or Xoom.....?

in99flames

Feb 17, 2011
So heres the scoop....i am goin to buy a tab either today or tomorrow. Im torn between the xoom and the tab. I dont mind the price....but its tough for me to decide. I like the galaxy tab because we can hack it and customize it. Thats the main reason i still consider the galaxy tab.

Do you think the xoom would be the bettr choice? It does have way more impressive hardware.....how hackable is this thing though......any thoughts?

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

JimDantin

Feb 3, 2011
Size matters! I had a 10" tablet for a while but found it too big for MY needs. I now have a 7" tablet and it's just right. Spend a bit of time holding and using both size machines (ANY 10" or ANY 7") before you commit.

FYI, I have a rooted Nook Color because I wasn't interested in any connectivity other than wireless. A friend has a Galaxy Tab. Side-by-side they are VERY similar size and quality - obviously different capabilities, however. The Xoom is certainly an awesome tablet, but just not right for me.

in99flames

Feb 17, 2011
True true....size does help...i prefer a 7inch screen over the 10....any other opinions?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
The galaxy tab is cheaper so that gives it a plus in my book but just to clarify the xoom has a unlockable boot loader so it will be easy to hack and no need to even find a root method for it

Sent from my incredible using Android Tablet Forum

in99flames

Feb 17, 2011
So It does have an unlockable boot loader! I was under the impression motorola was not going to do that. This is leanin towarda the xoom......i appreciate the feedback thus far. If anyone else wants to share an opinion im all ears.

in99flames

Feb 17, 2011
Thanks for the links! Very useful. It isnt worth twice as much however im able to get a great deal through my company so its only about 150 more which im not that concerned about.

vertigoesi

Jan 5, 2011
Im saving my money until the galaxy tab 10.1 comes out. I want to have more options with a honeycomb OS then just jumping on the Xoom.

craigrnelson

Jan 21, 2011
I bought the Tab when it first came out. The software is clunky and is in a real need for a software upgrade. Bought the Xoom and there is no comparison. In one word FAST. I will gladly hold a 10" tab that actually works. Samsung, are you listening?

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
The Xoom looks like a better tablet. I'm probably going to purchase the Xoom once it hits its first price drop. I wouldn't mind picking one up at $500.

in99flames

Feb 17, 2011
I ended up with the Xoom. Im getting it tuesday! Im excited. I plan on using a slingbox and remote desktop with it. I think im gonna have fun :)

lansing786

Feb 27, 2011
I have purchased both the tab and the xoom (not at the same time) and have found the tab to be better thus far. the xoom surfs the web alot faster and is over all a faster product, but the current lack of flash as well as other market apps i enjoy, really makes it a frustrating product for me. The blutooth keyboard ability on the xoom is a big plus though, i am using an old fold-up keyboard on the xoom that i used with my nokia n800 tablet and it works awesome with the xoom. Still, the current software is very glitchy and often crashes. It will randomly reboot every 8 hours of use or so. Also, I have noticed the youTube app crashes and skips video alot more than it does on my tab. I love the size of the galaxy tab and its ability to fit in my coat pocket or my back pocket, but the ease of reading on the xoom may make up for this. SOOOOOO... to answer the question, I would stick with the galaxy tab until flash is supported and some software upgrade is available. xoom is too glitchy and unusable for me right now, but im keeping it in hope adobe and motorola will release an OTA update soon.

Sent from my xoom using Android Tablet Forum App ( And a bluetooth keyboard) :)

in99flames

Feb 17, 2011
I was thinking about the whole lack of apps currently for the Xoom and the lack of flash but then again, its new. I know this will be a largely supported device because of the big M and its already large claim to fame. I know the development will be there with the programs and functionality will come as well.... so I will be patient and enjoy :) it can only get better!! Unless they drop the ball haha...

lansing786

Feb 27, 2011
I really hope so!! I plan to keep the xoom and give the galaxy tab to my wife. I'm keeping my figures crossed about flash coming in the next few weeks. Also, on your zoom, the default email client won't use imap with any of my email accounts, so I had to download k9 email client and it works well. Have you had the same problem? Just curious.

Rack1600

Mar 2, 2011
The Xoom should really only be compared to the Tab 10.1. They are both on Tegra dual-core processor and Honeycomb. Personally I would avoid anything without honeycomb, and the difference that the dual core processor makes (especially at such low speeds, compared with laptops) will be huge.
Tab 10.1 is for me, can't wait until they are all released.