Google Calendar Sync

vico512

Mar 2, 2011
OK - I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, with my newbiness, but...

I was finally able to get my Google Mail to sync by going to the NC Settings button & touching the App Settings Social tab. However, my Google Calendar did not sync, along with Gmail, and I can't find a link for that.

Still wandering around in the wilderness, here...

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Which calendar are you using on the NC? Usually it asks you which calendar to use as the source for your data.

vico512

Mar 2, 2011
I'm using the Google calendar that's sync'd to my Gmail on my Motorola Droid (or at least it looks identical). This is the calendar that autoloaded, along with Gmail, when I autorooted. As mentioned, GMail syncs just fine. The calendar is empty. The only option I have under the Social Networks Set-up tab shows that Google networks are sync'd.

I found some strings over on XDA Developers forums that indicate it's problematic to get the Google calendar working properly, if at all.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
No, I meant which app are you using to show your Google calendar. Your "Google calendar" exists out there on a cloud somewhere. Without a local app to bring it to your screen, there is no connection. Install Jorte, aim it at your gmail address and your stuff should show up.

vico512

Mar 2, 2011
OK - Gotta understand, there is a lot of Noob on this end. I'm just selecting the Calendar icon from my rooted screen, the screen with all the Apps on it. What comes-up looks identical to the Calendar App on my Droid, just empty.

Once I get back into a Wifi hotspot, I'll take a look to see if Jorte helps my issue.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
There is a calendar icon? Cool.. Mine didn't have one. But I've gone through about 50 different calendars looking for the perfect one. Jorte is good but Schedule St. is my favorite but a recent update blew it up and now it won't work on the NC..

Let's go back to the icon you've got.. If you launch it, then the the little = looking icon, so you see a settings/config option? If so, hit it and see if it has a "link to calendar" or something similar.. If it does, put your gmail address in there.

What is the exact name of the app we're talking about? I'll get it and see if I can make it work on mine. A shot of the icon will help if you don't know the name.

EDIT: Purple icon with 15 and a folding page on it? I have that and it's just labeled "calendar"

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Ok, assuming that's the right icon (and now that I see that calendar, I remember not liking it a long time ago, so I guess I have had it all along..)

1 - Click on the = icon
2 - Hit "More"
3 - Hit "My Calendars"
4 - Your Gmail should be listed there.
5 - Check the box

That should get it going. If it doesn't, then you have other issues.

vico512

Mar 2, 2011
Yeah, the icon looks identical to the one on my Droid -- a blue-banded spiral notebook icon, with the Google squiggle on the page. That's what confused me -- the GMail icon is also identical to my Droid, and it syncs normally after I activated the sync under the Social Networks, in the Apps set-up. I expected the Calendar to work the same.

I don't know of a name, other than Calendar, as listed below the icon. Touching the Settings (=) button, brings-up the same items I get on my Droid, but nothing about sync. In a nutshell, it looks identical to what's on my Droid, but just won't sync. I can add/delete appointments, etc., but they reside only on the NC.

The Gmail sync was pretty seamless (once I found the Social Networks link), and I expected the Calendar would follow suit, but it's obviously not that easy. On the Droid (and on my MAC), the two are linked together seamlessly, but on the NC, it's not the case, it seems.

vico512

Mar 2, 2011
Ok, assuming that's the right icon (and now that I see that calendar, I remember not liking it a long time ago, so I guess I have had it all along..)

1 - Click on the = icon
2 - Hit "More"
3 - Hit "My Calendars"
4 - Your Gmail should be listed there.
5 - Check the box

That should get it going. If it doesn't, then you have other issues.

Just saw this post -- under the More, GMail is not listed. Only My calendars & Settings. No mention of Gmail in the Settings. sigh....

vico512

Mar 2, 2011
Additional comment -- My Calendars shows only one setting; a Default box that's checked-- I can check or uncheck it, but nothing else seems to change.

About to bag this feature....!

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
Likewise I've not been able to get Calendar to sync. Works seamlessly on my Driod X and Droid 1, but even with all my options checked (does not show my Gmail account but does show my name on that account), only the "US Holidays" shows up on my NC. Almost makes me wanna try Froyo on this baby to see if more features like this will work but don't want to deal with black on black text. So if either of you actually get your Calendar to sync, please post the good news here.

vico512

Mar 2, 2011
Many thanks to RaVenJ for the attempts to help.

Maybe, once I get the nerve to go for a custom ROM, it might fix the situation. The bummer is that I rely heavily on the Google Calendar App on my Droid, as well as on my home and office computers -- all updates are seamless & in real-time.

In the interim, I'll probably just stick with my Droid App.

tocoty

Jan 4, 2011
this has been a problem for google calender on the cn.

initially i was provided a work around : each time u want calender to sync, under calender, you removed your google calender and then turn around and add it back , this does sync it for thet time only and everytime u do the remove and add.
however, i installed an app from the market: synker beta widgetet or such along with another synker simple widget ... thereafter, whenevre i press the desktop widget, my total gmail account syncs.... except contacts, i use an app named import contacts for that.
hope this helps

vico512

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks, tcoty. Funny...my contacts are sync'd OK, without any special intervention. I'll take a look at the widgets you mention. The uninstall-reinstall option would tend to keep my on the Droid phone, rather than that exercise.