Google Glass already facing driving ban as West Virginia preps law

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Summary: Who said the lawmakers can't keep pace with technology?

By Liam Tung | March 25, 2013 -- 09:41 GMT (02:41 PDT)

Lawmakers in the US have proposed a bill outlawing operating a vehicle with head-mounted displays like Google Glass, even before the networked specs are commercially available.
West Virginia Legislature Republican Gary G Howell last week proposed a bill that would prohibit "using a wearable computer with head mounted display", preemptively bringing Google's technology in line with existing state bans on driving while texting or using a phone without a handsfree kit.

Read this

Google Glass: You'll kiss your privacy goodbye, and you won't mind a bit

Howell told ZDNet's sister site CNET that he believes the government has a duty make sure citizens don't injure or kill someone else when they cross the road because they're reading a message.

"I actually like the idea of the product and I believe it is the future, but last legislature we worked long and hard on a no-texting-and-driving law," Howell told CNET.
"It is mostly the young that are the tech-savvy that try new things. They are also our most vulnerable and underskilled drivers. We heard of many crashes caused by texting and driving, most involving our youngest drivers. I see the Google Glass as an extension."

Howell's proposed ban on networked specs while driving would make an exception for law enforcement and other emergency services officers.
The lawmaker was not confident the bill will pass, however, but believes that other similar legislation will follow.

Earlier this month, the 5 Point Cafe in Seattle, Washington made headlines by also preemptively banning patrons from wearing Google Glass in the cafe to protect the privacy of other customers.

The bill comes as more US states pass laws permitting Google's Project X innovation on roads: Google's autonomous cars. California followed Nevada's lead by allowing Google to drive the cars — as long as a human is behind the wheel — on state roads.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
IMO, by the time the legislators are done you'll be lucky if you can wear them in your own house. Then, you'll have to deal with the other members of your household.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
So true. Some bars have already said you won't be allowed entry with them for privacy reasons.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Silly really, who doesn't have a smart phone that can instantly upload to facebook or other social media the stupid thing your soon to be ex friend (after she/he wakes up the next morning to find you thought it would be hilarious to post their drunken antics) did. It does kind of make me think of that Robin Williams movie though....

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Here's another deal breaker.:cool:

Strip clubs: no Google Glass allowed

In case you missed this item last week, Las Vegas strip clubs are already classifying Google Glass as any other surveillance or recording device, and will be enacting a zero tolerance policy on allowing the elite toys into adult establishments.

NBC News talked to Peter Feinstein, managing partner of Sapphire Gentlemen's Club in Las Vegas. Feinstein explained,

We've been dealing with the cellphone videoing and the picture taking over the years and we are quick to make sure that that doesn't happen in the club. As the sale of [Google Glass] spreads, there'll be more people using them and wanting to use them at places such as a gentlemen's club.

If we see those in the club, we would do the same thing that we do to people who bring cameras into the club.

rbryanp

Apr 13, 2013
I would be interested in having a Google Glass unit while driving for the purpose of capturing those inconsiderate a-hole drivers we each see every day. You know, the a-hole that uses you and the vehilcles around you as a slalom course as they recklessly weave in, out and around you and everyone else.

It would be great to capture those douche bags and send the video to the police to be ticketed, assuming you could get a clear shot of a license plate. That would be a mobile version of "Big Brother" that I would have no problem supporting.