Google Maps Crashes on Satellite View?

RoyEP3

Feb 3, 2011
I just exchanged for a fresh S7 and rooted it. Second thing I did was update google maps. However when I would activate the satellite view, it would force crash immediately. This did not happen with my previously exchanged S7. Has there been a recent update that causes it to crash? Can you guys check yours? Any ideas?

Gfire

Feb 19, 2011
was happening to me too. I had to goto the layer button as fast as i could to turn it off, then i let the road map load then turned the sat layer back on and it has been fine since. It happened to me right after the update too.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Mine works fine, but I'm on the newer Singapore ROM. Just tried it, got a force close, and it keeps working. Might be some funkiness going on.

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
Yep mine also crashes.
It seems to happen when going to higher resolution so I suspect it's running out of memory.

The trouble is when you get the force close msg, you cannnot use the terminal.

Will try it whilst running top over adb

Pete, on the move...

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Mine is crashing too after some testing, but I can kind of still use it.

Error is: textures with dimensions 2048x32 are larger than the supported size 1024x1024

Maybe we should file the bug with Google, not Huawei

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
Checking the info, the app is described as version 5.1.0 gmm-android-huawei, so it may be a special s7 version.

Pete, on the move...

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
Aah
Looking thru the Market reviews lots of folks report similar probs

Pete, on the move...

Claian

Dec 27, 2010
I'm having the same problem..
It also happens in navigation even without the satellite view turned on.
It started just under a week ago.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Game4set

Dec 2, 2010
New update (from 2 days ago) actually started this crash! When I zoom all the way in to my place it FC.

stephndudb

Jan 5, 2011
Same problem here. Works OK until I try to zoom the satellite view.

Update: Search broken, too. Removed the updates and reverted to the "factory version". Working again.

Last edited:

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
Yep, didn't need the 3D, it only works in the big cities anyway.

The choice for me is which is more important, arial photos or vector maps which work better offline.

I think I vote for the vector maps, reception is always poor when I am lost in the boonies, so I will put up with the update .

Pete, on the move...