google music player

robalbrecht

Jul 6, 2011
When I play music on my a500 using the stock google music player, it stops shuffling when the screen times out. It will finish the song being played, but then it will stop until I restart the tab. I don't have to unlock it; I just have to hit the power button so the screen turns on and the music will start back up again. Any ideas?

MetaMs

May 1, 2011
Same problem here. Although I'm playing an audio book and it stops as soon as the screen turns off. I did not have this problem with 3.0. I think it started with the update to 3.1.

Any suggestions appreciated!

EZguy

Jul 3, 2011
When I play music on my a500 using the stock google music player, it stops shuffling when the screen times out. It will finish the song being played, but then it will stop until I restart the tab. I don't have to unlock it; I just have to hit the power button so the screen turns on and the music will start back up again. Any ideas?

Mine has been doing the same thing since 3.1, also the Amazon cloud player has been misbehaving the same way

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
What is the default music app? All I see is the google music beta, which doesn't seem to have this problem. The icon for it looks like a pair of headphones.

EZguy

Jul 3, 2011
What is the default music app? All I see is the google music beta, which doesn't seem to have this problem. The icon for it looks like a pair of headphones.

With that google music beta app, I am having a problem since the 3.1 upgrade. A song will play and then minutes can go by before the next song plays, or it may stop altogether until I press the wake up button and the next song starts. I associate this with the wifi issue that came with 3.1 I lost wifi when I tried to connect at a friend's, then got it back with the paperclip soft reset. Wifi has worked since then, except that I think it is related to this problem with the cloud players, including Amazon's cloud player, which does the same thing.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011

That's the one.

Use to be just called Music, but it got an upgrade and name change. If you scored a Google Music Account you can use it to play your cloud based music. If not, its just a player.

I did get a Google Music account and can play my cloud music on both my phone and tablet.

So far I don't notice any gaps unless I'm on 3G on my phone, and seldom even then. (Gingerbread nexus one)
But the tablet will gap between songs, but only if the screen goes off.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You won't see it unless you are playing your music from the Google Music cloud. Won't happen with locally stored music, and won't happen with screen lit up.

Did you score a Google Music account too?

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Yeah, I have the Google Music account with some of my music loaded (playing from the cloud). It's a little confusing as to whether I'm playing local or cloud music. I can't see just the cloud music unless I log in at my computer or via the browser on the Tab.

EZguy

Jul 3, 2011
If you go into airplane mode and then to the Google player, the icons of the cloud music dim out and the stuff on your tab stay bright

Grav

Jul 19, 2011
I am having a similar issue with my A500; Pandora, Stitcher Radio, TunedIn, NPR News... They all stop when the screen goes dark, or at the very best, the audio stream pauses for a few seconds, then resumes for a few seconds, then pauses for a few seconds. If I wake the tab by tapping the power button, streaming resumes. I actually just figured out that this is an issue when streaming, but playing local music is fine. This has been an issue since upgrading to 3.1.

I called Acer Support (1-866-695-2237) and was quickly escalated to level 2 support. They were understanding, but suggested I keep checking forums for a solution since Acer doesn't write the apps and they haven't received any other calls about the issue.

Has anyone come up with a solution? To me, this feels less like a problem with the apps, and more like a problem where the screen timeout wants to disable wi-fi.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
To me, this feels less like a problem with the apps, and more like a problem where the screen timeout wants to disable wi-fi.

No its not that screen timeout wants to disable wifi, the system doesn't totally disable wifi even when its sleeping.
(Test it your self: Let you tablet go to sleep and have someone else send you a google talk message.).

The problem is that wifi is put into a power save mode, (where it can still get messages) when the screen goes off and NO DATA IS FLOWING.

As long as data is flowing the WIFI won't sleep.
(Test it yourself: with any streaming music App, like TuneIn Radio).

The problem is that Google Music accesses your on-line media in bursts, downloads an entire song, and then it leaves NO DATA FLOWING while it plays the song.
So naturally the wifi goes to power save mode. You WANT that to happen.

The problem is that Google Music does not try very hard to get the wifi to wake up from power save mode. It won't wait for it. Instead it just stops playing.
(Test it your self: Start playing an album from Google Music, Sleep the tablet immediately, Music stops after a couple songs. Repeat test but start a steady ping of your tablet from any linux machine (or windows machine using "ping -t [tablet ip]". The pings won't let your wifi go to power saving.