GPS app?

ebgillespie

Nov 24, 2011
I've quickly noticed with the "Navigation app" that comes with the Vizio if I don't set up where I want to go before I leave my home WIFI signal I can not change my destination while on the road, maps aren't loaded or I can't get a new route. Seems the "Navigation app" needs a WIFI signal to download the appropriate maps, find the route, etc.

So, are there apps anyone can recommend that allow me to use the Vizio tablet as a stand-alone GPS with a navigation database? My wife doesn't like the fact that she can't go back home if she doesn't have a WIFI signal!

Thank you!

ebgillespie

Nov 24, 2011
Have you tried Google maps?

I have but I don't believe Google Maps works at finding a route or address unless I have a Internet connection? For example, I can't use Google Maps on my Vizio in the middle of the woods to get me home?

ktackel

Aug 31, 2011
I have but I don't believe Google Maps works at finding a route or address unless I have a Internet connection? For example, I can't use Google Maps on my Vizio in the middle of the woods to get me home?

I really can't speak for him but I think his thought was Google maps will let you cache maps locally, but that still requires you to know where you are somewhat going beforehand.

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
It does, but it displays at the resolution it was downloaded at.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

ebgillespie

Nov 24, 2011
Hello all,

I'm still having trouble using Google Maps on the VTAB. When I have a working WIFI connection I will cache the map grid I need (which seems to only download in 10 mi x 10 mi squares). However, when I'm away from home and don't have a WIFI signal, EVEN THOUGH I'm in the previously downloaded map cache, I still can't locate any address.

So, I've decided to buy a app. I tried Sygic, it was nice, but unfortunately around my neck of the woods (Ohio) the address numbers aren't quite right and it sometimes told me to make a wrong turn. This is for my wife, who could get lost with every map in the world, so I need to keep it as simple as possible.

I was thinking of paying for CoPilot. Good choice?

Deandec

Nov 25, 2011
I have installed Sygic and used it a bit. It does do enroute route corrections and new destination routing just like a Garmin or Tom-Tom does without a cell connection or WIFI connection.

It does seem to be silent when it does not have a good fix on your location.

That is a problem in my Jeeps, because in order for the VTAB to see the Satellites consistently, I need to have it on the dashboard. In a Motorhome it would be fine.

In that dash location, the 8" screen is not visible so one has to rely on verbal commands. Glare and blockage of the windshield are problems if one finds a way to secure the VTAB vertically on the dashboard.

Also, because of the size of the internal memory consumed, one may need to download map segments for the new part of the US you are visiting. It requires that you remember to do so which is a problem at my advanced age. :D

And finally, one would want to shut down the VTAB on long travel days due to the 5 hour battery limit. I have not tried 12v charging of the VTAB.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
Co-Pilot is an alternative and I have it on our VTAB, but have not had a chance to test it much. There are a few different versions that start at $5.

For in-car charging a charger that is rated fro the iPad should work fine, you need 2 amp output.

drum4ever

Dec 2, 2011
I have copilot on my Vtab and use it every day for work. Not perfect but nice for 5 bucks. I only carry my state internally right now.