GPS questions

jwriter

Jul 24, 2012
hello, can anybody help me with these questions:
1. Simplest way to read coordinates (for example. 31.8322607, 116.0742577)
I do not need maps, so do not need to connect using wireless, only by GPS radio.
2. The A1 specs say GPS antenna is not supported. What does that mean?
3. The specs say Complementary GPS Services: Geotagging. What does that mean?
Thank you.

cal67

Aug 4, 2011
1. Check out Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site and How to Read Coordinates, How to Learn to Read Coordinates.
2. Not sure. I didn't get any documentation with mine, and don't see the note you refer to on specs at Lenovo's site.
3. Geotagging refers to getting the coordinates from line 1 for wherever you are so that another person can see or find the location. (Or you can find it again.) Used for Geocaching or providing location of pictures. (Or saving a good fishing spot, etc.) I have not been able to find any way to use this with the preloaded apps. There are apps you can buy that would likely provide this functionality.

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
If it does not have a GPS antenna in it, it typically uses WiFi signals to perform its GPS duties and base the coordinates off of where that IP address is registered.

jwriter

Jul 24, 2012

Thank you, but I wanted to know how to get my Lenovo to display current coordinates (for example. 31.8322607, 116.0742577). This seems so simple but I have not found a way. I recently heard of an application called "altitude" that does this but have not installed it yet. If anybody knows how to get the A1 to display coordinates, please let me know. Thanks.

jwriter

Jul 24, 2012
If it does not have a GPS antenna in it, it typically uses WiFi signals to perform its GPS duties and base the coordinates off of where that IP address is registered.

How does a person find out if the device reads the satellites? If it reads GPS satellites, it must have an antenna.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
How does a person find out if the device reads the satellites? If it reads GPS satellites, it must have an antenna.

Go to the Google Store and install GPS Fix. All the info you need will be there.

kittenann

Nov 9, 2011

I have the A1 and the device reads the satellites, no need for wifi connection. We use it for geocaching in rural areas all the time.