Grinding hard drive after reset

Chimmychin

Aug 13, 2012
I bought a Curtis klu on sale and was impressed. Added google play, downloaded a few apps. Worked perfectly until I downloaded a ePub free book from another site which wasn't what it appeared to be. When attempting to open, all these internet ads flashed on the screen causing it to freeze so I did a factory reset which seemed to work but at restarting the tablet, the hard drive made the dreadful grinding noise. It is working fine now and I ran Lookout and no virus. I understand that resetting doesn't exactly solve the problem. My question is; do you think this is the start of the hard drive failing? Has anyone heard of any ePub document with malware embedded?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

I don't know where the noise IS coming from but since your tablet doesn't have a hard drive, it's flash memory, I can tell you that the drive is not what's making the noise since flash drives are silent.

I would try another factory reset in case something was left over the first time. If it's still making noise my guess would be, from your explanation, that there may be something affecting the speakers, either an app or hardware issues.

Chimmychin

Aug 13, 2012
Ahhhh, so I feel much better now knowing that its a flash drive. Geez, I should had known that. Its running fine for now. Thank you :D

Chimmychin

Aug 13, 2012
so after doing some research, I tried to download that epub document to my mac to see what the heck is it. Well, the actualy name is 4Sync-1.0.6CM.exc and it was hiding under another name. Now I understand why my tablet went wacky. But exc files can only run in Windows, correct?