[GUIDE] Transferring Files To And From Tablet

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There are quite a few options for moving pasting cutting and copying files to and from your Android tablet This is a mini guide. I am intentionally leaving out a direct connection due to the number of people who have problems with connecting their tablet to a computer, though for many people it works just fine. These are alternatives.

Best long term and easiest solution:

Purchase a microSD card if your tablet supports it. If the purpose is to transfer files it doesn't need to be especially big, fast or expensive but make certain it's a brand name purchased from a reputable source. Some microSD cards can be purchased with a USB card reader in a bundle if you don't have a card reader in your computer.

Apps for file management from your computer:

WiFi File Explorer
and WiFi File Transfer are only 2 of several apps that will allow you to browse your tablet from your computer and will allow you to transfer files in both directions. Your tablet only needs to be on the same WiFi network.

File managers on your tablet:

ES File Explorer and File Manager HD are 2 of my favorites though the default file manager in many cases will get the job done. Each has the ability, (along with other file managers like Astro) to browse a share on your computer or network and allows you to cut/copy/paste individual or groups of files, (multi select), in either direction. You must have a share on your computer for this to work. I think ES File Explorer is the easiest, especially if you have a fixed IP address for your computers.

The cloud option:

I have more cloud storage available on my tablet than I could possibly use, over 65GB. The single most useful way to do this is by getting DropBox. a 2GB account is free, but other free options with various amounts of free storage include, Cubby (from the LogMeIn people), Box.net (BOX on the Google Store), and Google Docs are just a few options. What I like about DropBox s that a stub is installed on my computers and anything I put into the DropBox folder becomes available very quickly on my tablet and the same goes for sending files, (through "share") from the tablet. Not all these solutions are available in every country but you are sure to find one or more that work.

You also may want to check out Sugarsync for something very similar to DropBox.

Another option:

I have an app on my tablet from Wyse Technology called Pocket Cloud Explore. This also requires a small program install on my computers. With Pocket Cloud Explorer I have access to ALL the data on my 3 computers in my office anywhere I have an Internet connection. I can open docs on my desktop computers and save them on my TF.

Hope this makes things a little easier and/or more flexible for some of you.

getdabman

Jan 14, 2013
I am simply attempting to transfer all my files from my old pc to my new tab. My old pc keeps crashing and I want to transfer my files before I can no longer get my old pc to power up. I have all the ware that came with my tab. Do I need an sc card to store my old files on my new tab? Or should my data go directly to my new tabs drive. The manual is very vauge.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I am simply attempting to transfer all my files from my old pc to my new tab. My old pc keeps crashing and I want to transfer my files before I can no longer get my old pc to power up. I have all the ware that came with my tab. Do I need an sc card to store my old files on my new tab? Or should my data go directly to my new tabs drive. The manual is very vauge.

The tablet's storage is typically so limited I would purchase an external portable drive or a thumb drive to store those files. If not you'll be here in short order asking how to free up memory on the tablet. ;);)

Norm202

Dec 26, 2012
There are quite a few options for moving pasting cutting and copying files to and from your Android tablet This is a mini guide. I am intentionally leaving out a direct connection due to the number of people who have problems with connecting their tablet to a computer, though for many people it works just fine. These are alternatives.

Best long term and easiest solution:

Purchase a microSD card if your tablet supports it. If the purpose is to transfer files it doesn't need to be especially big, fast or expensive but make certain it's a brand name purchased from a reputable source. Some microSD cards can be purchased with a USB card reader in a bundle if you don't have a card reader in your computer.

Apps for file management from your computer:

WiFi File Explorer
and WiFi File Transfer are only 2 of several apps that will allow you to browse your tablet from your computer and will allow you to transfer files in both directions. Your tablet only needs to be on the same WiFi network.

File managers on your tablet:

ES File Explorer and File Manager HD are 2 of my favorites though the default file manager in many cases will get the job done. Each has the ability, (along with other file managers like Astro) to browse a share on your computer or network and allows you to cut/copy/paste individual or groups of files, (multi select), in either direction. You must have a share on your computer for this to work. I think ES File Explorer is the easiest, especially if you have a fixed IP address for your computers.

The cloud option:

I have more cloud storage available on my tablet than I could possibly use, over 65GB. The single most useful way to do this is by getting DropBox. a 2GB account is free, but other free options with various amounts of free storage include, Cubby (from the LogMeIn people), Box.net (BOX on the Google Store), and Google Docs are just a few options. What I like about DropBox s that a stub is installed on my computers and anything I put into the DropBox folder becomes available very quickly on my tablet and the same goes for sending files, (through "share") from the tablet. Not all these solutions are available in every country but you are sure to find one or more that work.

You also may want to check out Sugarsync for something very similar to DropBox.

Another option:

I have an app on my tablet from Wyse Technology called Pocket Cloud Explore. This also requires a small program install on my computers. With Pocket Cloud Explorer I have access to ALL the data on my 3 computers in my office anywhere I have an Internet connection. I can open docs on my desktop computers and save them on my TF.

Hope this makes things a little easier and/or more flexible for some of you.

Good guide, but many of us don't have Google Play support. What we need are alternative ways of downloading Google Play apps to our computer or SD card so we can in turn transfer to our tablet.

Norm202

Dec 26, 2012
I understand, but not the same. These other sites don't have the same choices. Had I known before I purchased this non-supported tablet I might've thought otherwise. However, the price was very convincing and these other sites do have alternative. :cool:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I understand, but not the same. These other sites don't have the same choices. Had I known before I purchased this non-supported tablet I might've thought otherwise. However, the price was very convincing and these other sites do have alternative. :cool:

Ah yes, there is a trap attached to that low cost. Most of the apps on the Google Store can be found on the Amazon Market as well.

maxmuscle3

Jan 9, 2013
Easy, I shut down my tablet, remove the 32GB SD card, puth the SD card in the adapter, put i in the card reader in my computer, download directly to the sd card. I then reverse the steps, reinserting the sd car into my tablet. I reboot the tablet, use the file manager and locate everything I downloaded.

exgi

Apr 9, 2013
I like ES File Explorer, I have used it for about a year now, and have had no problems at all.
The transfer is fast and accurate, and the price of the app is free!!

The_Grabber

Nov 12, 2012
Happened across this post regarding storage and wanted to share that a few years before I bought my tablet I purchased an HP portable USB hard drive. (500gb no less).

On a whim I plugged it into my TF-201's keyboard USB port and it worked wonderfully!
So I put all my pics & movies on it from my PC before we went on vacation.
At the lake house, I used it along with the HDMI out port on the tablet to the flat screen TV and all worked very well!

BTW: Prior to all this I had converted the movie files on my PC using DVD-Catalyst and it worked great too!

dlawton86

May 27, 2014
Leshor I bought a Generic Tablet by mistake from Nomorerack.com (Gotta watch that place, they will switch products up on ya when shipping time comes) Anyway I can attach my tablet to my computer and it completes everything far as i know to transfer/share files from tab to comp or vice versa, but there is one part where the installation will say "ANDROID" Then say a driver can not be found for it.. Those apps your reccomended "WiFi File Explorer and WiFi File Transfer are only 2 of several apps that will allow you to browse your tablet from your computer" Would that work with mine? Yes both Desktop and Tablet are on the same Modem/DSL connection...Thanx... O btw and when you say explore does it actually show on the computer the actual screen of the tablet when hooked up or just the files the device has on it?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Yes those apps will allow you to explore the tablet from your desktop. One you didn't list which is quite good is AirDroid.

dlawton86

May 27, 2014
The wifi info you suggested @ Leeshor does that allow you to actually see your device on your PC? oR JUst the files on it?

dlawton86

May 27, 2014
Let me better word that.. Does it allow you to view the actual screen of the tablet through the computer screen? Ive got a NO NAME brand Generic Tablet and When i connect it to my computer everything installs and says its good to go except the 'ANDROID'dEVICE says its missing and cant find drivers.. But it still allows me to see the files etc i have on it..