Haipad M701-R 2GB

Matt262

Nov 8, 2010
I've been in and out lurking these forums to see if/when anyone has any luck with a stable version of froyo from Haipad for this tablet...mostly been preoccupied with my new EVO :)

That being said, I've also been glancing around at Haipad's website periodically (planning on staying away except from my Linux box since the site got hacked), but I see two versions of froyo for 701's...one is listed as being for the 4G HY (whatever that is -- again, I've been away for awhile), and one looks to be for the original M701-R...I'm hoping Offworld will jump in because I'm almost positive we have the same model, but the finishing date for what I believe to be for my model is 3/8/2011, but the description after I translated it on Google does, and does not at the same time, sound promising...has anyone given it a shot before the site got compromised?

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
The Froyo releases are still incomplete. The JIT compiler though makes the tablet quite fast. I'd prefer to have all the features working on my tablet over running an incomplete OS though. Check the Haipad group if you want to try the Froyo firmware - there's a post with download links. Don't bother with the official site - Haipad didn't host their firmware at the site that got hacked anyway.

There are now 2 GB and 4 GB versions of this tablet with different flash memory storage chips in them. That's what the "HY" is referring to.
Original 2 GB has Samsung chips
Older 4 GB has Micron chips
Newer 4 GB has HY chips

Matt262

Nov 8, 2010
The Froyo releases are still incomplete. The JIT compiler though makes the tablet quite fast. I'd prefer to have all the features working on my tablet over running an incomplete OS though. Check the Haipad group if you want to try the Froyo firmware - there's a post with download links. Don't bother with the official site - Haipad didn't host their firmware at the site that got hacked anyway.

There are now 2 GB and 4 GB versions of this tablet with different flash memory storage chips in them. That's what the "HY" is referring to.
Original 2 GB has Samsung chips
Older 4 GB has Micron chips
Newer 4 GB has HY chips

I actually sent them an e-mail and got a reply within 30 minutes with a link to download 2.2.1...I had inquired about a stable release, and the one they sent me is flashing right now...not sure what it is in relation to what is shown on their site, but I'll give it a shot...I don't need a fully functioning tablet really, I'm more interested in the speed and increased functionality of what features ARE implemented...what specific bugs have you found with the 2.2 updates?

ropodope

Aug 29, 2010
I actually sent them an e-mail and got a reply within 30 minutes with a link to download 2.2.1...I had inquired about a stable release, and the one they sent me is flashing right now...not sure what it is in relation to what is shown on their site, but I'll give it a shot...I don't need a fully functioning tablet really, I'm more interested in the speed and increased functionality of what features ARE implemented...what specific bugs have you found with the 2.2 updates?
Messed up calibration, no video capability, no market place to name a few. Let me know if the version you are flashing solves any of these problems if its for the 2gig storage version. That and a download link. Thanks.

ropodope

Sent from my Vaelpak 3.2 enhanced Evo 4g using Android Tablet Forum

Matt262

Nov 8, 2010
Messed up calibration, no video capability, no market place to name a few. Let me know if the version you are flashing solves any of these problems if its for the 2gig storage version. That and a download link. Thanks.

ropodope

I'm assuming you are talking about the CM6 issues on the M701...that's the ONLY ROM I'm aware of that had those exact issues -- I'm talking about the Haipad factory firmware...which BTW, I accessed the Market, downloaded Youtube (the official app), watched a video, and before it let me do any of that it made me calibrate the screen...so far I have ZERO complaints...only been running it for about an hour too, so I guess time will tell...This cut of 2.2 hauls ass by comparison to 2.1 1022, which was IMO the best 2.1 firmware...I just wish they would change the LCD density on 2.2 to have as tight a pixel count as 1022...oh well :(

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
I'm assuming you are talking about the CM6 issues on the M701...that's the ONLY ROM I'm aware of that had those exact issues -- I'm talking about the Haipad factory firmware...which BTW, I accessed the Market, downloaded Youtube (the official app), watched a video, and before it let me do any of that it made me calibrate the screen...so far I have ZERO complaints...only been running it for about an hour too, so I guess time will tell...This cut of 2.2 hauls ass by comparison to 2.1 1022, which was IMO the best 2.1 firmware...I just wish they would change the LCD density on 2.2 to have as tight a pixel count as 1022...oh well :(

complaints about the Haipad 2.2 version are:
No sound via HDMI
only mono sound via headphones
frequent crashes
battery constantly thinks it is being charged and discharges the battery fully

can you post the link Haipad did send you or confirm if it is the same as in THIS PAGE ? =)

you should be able to modify the LCD density by editing the build.prop

ropodope

Aug 29, 2010
No sound via HDMI
frequent crashes

can you post the link Haipad did send you or confirm if it is the same as in THIS PAGE ? =)

yes those were the cm6 issues that I had but also the only version I knew from haipad for the 2g had no market. Please confirm if the link that loonix supplied is the same as what haipad sent you and if any of the issues he mentioned have been solved with your version of 2.2. Thank you.

ropodope

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
The Haipad group has download links (from megaupload/rapidshare/etc) to the various Froyo firmwares for both the 2GB and 4 GB M701 tablets. You probably want the one listed as "Sammicron Froyo" which is the most recent for the 2 GB.

ropodope

Aug 29, 2010
The Haipad group has download links (from megaupload/rapidshare/etc) to the various Froyo firmwares for both the 2GB and 4 GB M701 tablets. You probably want the one listed as "Sammicron Froyo" which is the most recent for the 2 GB.

And you honestly felt that this was working stable and pretty much completed for you?

ropodope

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
And you honestly felt that this was working stable and pretty much completed for you?

ropodope

Um, I never said that at all. In fact up higher in the thread I said it is "incomplete" and features don't work - the only positive thing I had to say about it is that it is relatively fast. I'm currently running the 1022 "small print" 2.1 firmware and probably will unless and until a fully-baked version of 2.2 is released.

But if you want to try the bleeding edge and would rather have speed over features and stability the download links are there to try out 2.2.

ropodope

Aug 29, 2010
Um, I never said that at all. In fact up higher in the thread I said it is "incomplete" and features don't work - the only positive thing I had to say about it is that it is relatively fast. I'm currently running the 1022 "small print" 2.1 firmware and probably will unless and until a fully-baked version of 2.2 is released.

But if you want to try the bleeding edge and would rather have speed over features and stability the download links are there to try out 2.2.
Hey I was asking, nothing more because I really wanted to know. Thank you.
If your version of 2.1 is really good I would be interested in that for the time being. The one I have is #142 and would love to be directed to a better version if available. thanks for your help.

ropodope

Last edited:

Matt262

Nov 8, 2010
No sound via HDMI
frequent crashes

I haven't tested HDMI as it's not that important to me
I don't use the headphones with it so that's not a dealbreaker
No crashes as of yet
I can confirm the battery always thinks it's being charged, which may or may not be a dealbreaker, will just have to see
BIG downfall -- aside from the remote not working (expected, but still annoying), the volume soft buttons up by the 3G signal bars have been taken out -- so the only way to adjust volume is by going to Settings>Sound. Still not quite a dealbreaker for me because once I set it where I like it, it shouldn't need adjusting...
There is no speech recognition, period -- but not much of a downfall, since the microphone on my tablet is pretty well useless anyway

The Market does work, and Google apps show up (IE Maps, Youtube, etc)...

Basically, I can see why many would shy away from it, but these would be people who use their tablets way more than I do -- I just wanted something budget friendly that could do minor web surfing, e-mail, and Youtube, so my bases are covered...

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
@ropodope - sorry for the misunderstanding of what you meant.

The #142 firmware is the 1022 "small print" Android 2.1 version. In my opinion it is the best firmware for the 2GB tablet right now.

ropodope

Aug 29, 2010
@ropodope - sorry for the misunderstanding of what you meant.

The #142 firmware is the 1022 "small print" Android 2.1 version. In my opinion it is the best firmware for the 2GB tablet right now.
Ok thank you very much for the help, I do appreciate it.

ropodope