Handbrake and movies

rm2092

Oct 11, 2010
Has anyone played around with Handbrake and put any movies on your Tab yet and what settings have you used ?

drmirage

Nov 25, 2010
Has anyone played around with Handbrake and put any movies on your Tab yet and what settings have you used ?

I've used handbrake to rip and/or convert some movies for the tab. It worked well except for one movie which had an AAC 5.1 audio track. The "Normal" profile worked fine for me as far as the video settings go. I've read online that the "High" profile has worked for other people but I haven't tried it out.

For the movie with the AAC 5.1 audio track, I selected the Stereo mixdown option using the AAC (CoreAudio) codec (available on the Mac version of Handbrake only IIRC). The resulting movie played fine on my Mac but resulted in screeching digital noise on the tab. There is another option available, AAC (faac), but I haven't tried it because I switched to using a couple of other tools.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to have handbrake copy the video stream (no transcoding) and convert the audio track only. Since the tab handles H.264 video so well, I want to avoid transcoding the video stream in order to save time. AviDemux (free software) allows you to do this. Also, AviDemux successfully mixed down the AAC 5.1 audio track into a video that worked on my tab.

On my 3 year old white plastic macbook, video and audio transcoding easily takes over two hours, while audio transcoding only takes about half an hour. This works great if your original video file is reasonably sized. You'll probably want to transcode your 10gig 1080p bluray rip at a lower resolution and bitrate.

I've also started using MKVtools (Mac-only nagware) which seems to be pretty good so far. It doesn't have as many options, but the interface is much more intuitive than AviDemux's interface. I think it only accepts MKV and OGM files as source files though.

Chron12

Oct 20, 2010
Instead of handbrake have you just tried rockplayer to play videos?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

HalfMoon

Nov 17, 2010
I grabbed RockPlayer on my Tab, but when I try to play any movies and use Hardware Decode it really doesn't work. Software Decode seems to work, but at 5-8 fps.

Also, will Rockplayer play an mkv that has DTS?

drmirage

Nov 25, 2010
I grabbed RockPlayer on my Tab, but when I try to play any movies and use Hardware Decode it really doesn't work. Software Decode seems to work, but at 5-8 fps.

Also, will Rockplayer play an mkv that has DTS?

Hi HalfMoon, try using a program to see what video and audio codecs are in your movies and post your results. I use mediainfo (mac) and gspot (pc).

I've played movies using H.264 (aka AVC) video codec and AAC stereo audio codec on the tab using hardware decode.

I don't know whether Rockplayer can handle MKV files, but I think I read somewhere that the tab hardware decoder doesn't support DTS audio.