Happy with your Gen 2 Coby?

Still happy?

• Total voters

PartsMan

Apr 11, 2011
Some of us have had our new Cobys for a few weeks now and have had time to check them out. Are you happy with your purchase?

I for one am happy. I use mine primarily as an internet device and it works great.
I don't think I could have gotten a better tablet without spending twice as much.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
I'm very happy with the tablet. Does everything I want it to do. However, I am not happy with Coby. Their zero upgrade path for Android combined with their less than stellar support performance puts a big negative on the product. Looking forward I see a limited future for my 7024. That is one reason why I am seriously considering returning it. I do not buy new " toys " every time a new gadget comes out. I use my " toys " for the long run than hand them down to the grand child. At this point the XX24 models look to me to be filler while the XX25 and XX26 models were fine tuned. I think once the new models do come out, the XX24's will be dropped from Coby's line as the stock on hand diminishes.

I also think that main stream tablets with capacitance screens, Android 3.0 and better support will be dropping low enough in price in the next 6 months to make the XX24's obsolete.

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
I'm very happy with the tablet. Does everything I want it to do. However, I am not happy with Coby. Their zero upgrade path for Android combined with their less than stellar support performance puts a big negative on the product. Looking forward I see a limited future for my 7024. That is one reason why I am seriously considering returning it. I do not buy new " toys " every time a new gadget comes out. I use my " toys " for the long run than hand them down to the grand child. At this point the XX24 models look to me to be filler while the XX25 and XX26 models were fine tuned. I think once the new models do come out, the XX24's will be dropped from Coby's line as the stock on hand diminishes.

I also think that main stream tablets with capacitance screens, Android 3.0 and better support will be dropping low enough in price in the next 6 months to make the XX24's obsolete.
Agree with what you are saying dave. I ended up ordering a 7015, because I don't want to wait 6+ months and pay 2x as much (got mine dirt cheap). I don't see the 7024's as that much better of a device, and I would have to wait for all of the mods to start coming out. If Coby were smart, they would hire tipster and send him some of their units. Think of all of the official rom updates that we would get for the 7024's and beyond.

PartsMan

Apr 11, 2011
No doubt a 3.0 capacitive tablet would be a little nicer but right now they cost three times as much.

An update would be nice but now that I have Flash I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble.
Why would they want to make the old tablet do everything the new one will for free anyway.

Last edited:

jabby

Apr 22, 2011
I was unsure if I liked it or not. I couldn't connect with a USB cable. Tried everything - even called Coby customer service - nothing. Tried it on a Vista 32bit - worked fine. Tried it on another Windows7 x64 and it worked there as well. The computer it works on (Acer) cost less than half the price of the one (HP) that doesn't work. All the latest updates had been applied to both.

Go figure! The Coby 7024 was not to blame. So I'm happy with th 7024 but will be much happier when I can figure out how to get Cool Reader to find its fonts. I put a copy on both the SD and EXTSD but it finds the /system/fonts instead and I have to root the 7024 to get to them. FBReader works well and can find my fonts and the system fonts aren't to bad so I'm OK for reading.

In case I don't remember to add Astro File Manager to the list of working APK's - it works flawlessly.

Regards - John

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I was still waiting on the 10.1" for Father's Day on HSN to be available? I figure that would be $249 with payments. The way things a moving it might not show up until July 4th at this rate. That one has CTS panel larger viewing angle also. Still just have to wait and see. I am very happy with my two COBY KYROS 7" 7015 and 7015A compared to the first one KYROS 7005 wasn't that great and that was picked up on COBY dime by UPS since HSN push them to do it..

Last edited:

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
I'm happy with my Coby 7024 this is actually my 2nd Android device. The first one is a cheap China Apad(1.6) that can only work for less than 2hours. So for me to browse, watch movie, 5+hours of usage and play anything i throw it really a plus. The only thing that my china apad can do that Coby can't is to connect via 3G USB Modem.

Now if only Coby can have a new unit with GPS and Bluetooth.

Luca Brasi

Mar 26, 2011
I'm happy with my Kyros 7024, marketplace installed with the assistance of the folks here in the forum, so yes, glad i picked this unit up for the price under 170 bucks.

Velocity1906

Mar 23, 2011
The 7015 and the 7024, in my opinion, are the best devices under $200. I am currently using my 7015 until there are roms for the 7024.

Sent from my MID7015A using Watery Kyros 1.2b Android Tablet Forum

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
No doubt a 3.0 capacitive tablet would be a little nicer but right now they cost three times as much.

An update would be nice but now that I have Flash I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble.
Why would they want to make the old tablet do everything the new one will for free anyway.

I'm thinking 6 months down the road. Already you can find the Chinese tablets with capacitive screens within $50 of what the Coby sells for. Just a matter of time before the competition drives the prices down. Flash sorta works with tweaking. Would be nice to have Flash on there and not slowing the browser down. Not very many of us can afford to purchase a new tablet every time a new software enhancement or improvement came out. Coby on their web site has stated that there will be no updates. What happens when the 7024 comes out as the 7025 with 2.3 in the next 6 weeks or so? Will the limited developers stay or move on? That is the issue to me. It is not the tablet, as I said I think it is the best for the money, it is the tablets future that concerns me.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
I was unsure if I liked it or not. I couldn't connect with a USB cable. Tried everything - even called Coby customer service - nothing. Tried it on a Vista 32bit - worked fine. Tried it on another Windows7 x64 and it worked there as well. The computer it works on (Acer) cost less than half the price of the one (HP) that doesn't work. All the latest updates had been applied to both.

Go figure! The Coby 7024 was not to blame. So I'm happy with th 7024 but will be much happier when I can figure out how to get Cool Reader to find its fonts. I put a copy on both the SD and EXTSD but it finds the /system/fonts instead and I have to root the 7024 to get to them. FBReader works well and can find my fonts and the system fonts aren't to bad so I'm OK for reading.

In case I don't remember to add Astro File Manager to the list of working APK's - it works flawlessly.

Regards - John

Astro was listed in the first post on the working APK's

jabby

Apr 22, 2011
Astro was listed in the first post on the working APK's
Is the Astro File Viewer and the Astro File Manager the same thing? Beats me. The file I installed, and vouched for, was named ASTRO_File_Manager_2.5.2.apk.
Regards - John

PartsMan

Apr 11, 2011
I didn't have have the luxury of waiting. My desktop is in storage now. I "needed" an internet device.
We are selling our house and I had to put some of my toys up to make it look bigger.

By the time 3.0 machines are cheap they will be advertising 3.2.