Hardware Decoding and Video Playback

gtd2000

Jan 16, 2012
Hi Folks,
Just received one of these S7 Slim tablets at the weekend for my son who will mainly use the tablet for watching kids videos.

I use mVideoPlayer on my HTC Flyer and think it's probably the best feature set of all the apps I've used to date so downloaded that for the S7.

Once I got all of his videos loaded onto a 16GB SD card, I tried to playback a couple of episodes of Bubble Guppies and Dora the Explorer.

The video quality was absolutely dire.

After fiddling around, I changed the settings to software mode and the videos looked clear and crisp once more.

Does the S7 Slim have a problem with hardware decoding or is it something to do with the file extension?

I loaded up RockPlayer Lite which works very well in software mode but the standard ROM does not allow me to browse to the external SD card for some unknown reason?

I have to say that overall I'm very impressed by this tablet - the only real let down is perhaps the screen quality but it is certainly a much nicer unit than I expected. The built in mic is pretty much useless too but the audio quality using Skype video calling via the supplied headset/mic is perfect.

Last edited: