Has Anyone Else Tried To Read a Magazine on the Nook for Android App?

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I am pretty annoyed. I was looking at their e-magazine selection, which is much larger than Kindle's and saw a couple I wanted to try. It said VERY clearly on each magazine's product page that it worked with Nook for Android. They lied though-after I subscribed I found out it doesn't work. Emailed Barnes and Noble and was told this is a known issue and they are working to fix it. What I find odd is that I can't find anything about this issue anywhere. Maybe I'm the only on interested in reading magazines on my tablet?

ShroomSJS

Jun 9, 2011
I just compared the Kindle app to the Zinio app today. (Kindle owner... Nook didn't even cross my mind to try.) I compared the exact same magazine on both and chose the Zinio app in the end.

Kindle felt like a pdf with a few small pictures. The Zinio app felt like an actual digital magazine. Font colors and sizes varied on Zinio but not Kindle. Both had an interactive table of contents, but Zinio has a thumbnail bar at the bottom that allows you to thumb through the entire magazine contents at a glance. Both worked offline. Also the price for the particular magazine I tested was the same on both. Zinio has more magazines to offer than Kindle though.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Tablet Forum

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Maybe this is only a problem for certain magazines. The folks with rooted Nooks, who can't use the native reader, jumped on this app about two months ago when magazine support was added. I haven't seen any reported problems.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Zino only works if you have a tablet running Honeycomb. That leaves the first gen Kyros out in the cold. You know, I do enjoy this tablet but I am sick of feeling discriminated against. It seems more and more apps won't work on them or not all their features will. The Nook app won't display magazines, the Kobo app has the text on the right side cut off, Zinio won't run at all. It's frustrating.

I have a data card with Sprint and my contract is up on Feb.1st. When that time comes, I am going to upgrade to a Samsung Galaxy Tab. I do like the Kyros but I want a tablet that will run the apps I want.

jus2tired

May 4, 2011
I just checked the Zinio website and they state their newest version supports 2.2 - 3.0... I am going to try to download it tonight... I will report back if it works...

Mylan

Aug 15, 2011
Yeah the Nook app does not work for magazines for the coby Mid7022 anyway. There is a sort of work around though. If the magazine supports nook for windows, you can download the magazine to windows and sideload it to alkido. It work for the trial issue of a magazine, I am waiting to see if the next edition of the magazine works the same before I subscribe to anymore of them. Actually I got pissed about the whole issue and removed the nook application and am now using dropbox to sideload my nook books into alkido.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I have a Nook Color now so magazines are no problem. I have Zinio too, which is great. Pressreader is awesome too. It's like Zinio only for newspapers. I have my NC rooted and set up to dual boot so I can use the NC stock and Android 2.3, and the Nook for Android app displays magazines just fine on the Android side. BN says that magazines are only compatible with high resolution Android devices so that's probably why they don't work on the Kyros.

Mylan

Aug 15, 2011
Well I am sure they have some reason for it not working with the coby 7022 but the video is not it. The requirements that BN listed for it was "Users with 7-inch 800 x 480 resolution tablets running Android OS 2.1 and higher:. The 7022 is 7 inches and has 800 by 480 resolution. It also runs android 2.3. I like alkido better anyway and it can handle DRM epub books and such from any source.

Xpun3414

Aug 8, 2011
I just read Maximum PC on the Nook color. & it looked fantastic. looked just like the real mag off the news stand. So far that has been the only one Ive read,but it was better then I would have thought it would be. Maybe its just that mag. Maybe maximum PC set up the nook version right.IDK. But Im willing to try more mags after this. I'll keep you all posted on this as I read more mags on it. Also,just to say. Its a new Nook (Not 2 weeks old yet) with 2.2 on it,unrooted. Also,read it in portrait & landscape mode. Both were great.

Mylan

Aug 15, 2011
So is there no real solution to use any of these magazine apps on a 7015?
Not unless you use alkido and sideload the magazines to it. MaxPC look good in alkido on the 7022 also. Not sure if its as good as on the nook color as I not ever seen a magazine on one of those