Has Motorola lost their mind? Some are now saying Xoom price will be $799.99

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
Quite a lot of rumors are circulating this morning that the Minimal Advertising Price (MAP) of Motorola's Xoom tablet with be $799.99. This is thanked to a leaked Verizon picture; see below.

If so Motorola, once again, will have missed a great oppurtunity to compete against the iPad and iPad2. The point is to beat the price, and beat the specs.... not be more expensive. WTG guys.... *sigh* (if true)

$9440.jpg

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Baseline price for a 10" Tegra 2 is the gTablet at ~$350. If the price difference is more than $100 for the wifi-only version, that is stupidity. I wouldn't pay $450 more for 3G access.

tyy10002

Nov 13, 2010
Baseline price for a 10" Tegra 2 is the gTablet at ~$350. If the price difference is more than $100 for the wifi-only version, that is stupidity. I wouldn't pay $450 more for 3G access.

I agree that a base 10" Tegra 2 is around $350 (gtablet, Advent vega) but gtablet has several shortcomings (screen, stock OS, etc)

XOOM has (just my guess)
A better screen ~$50 - $100
512M More RAM ~ $10
More sensors such as GPS, barometer, etc ~$50 - $100
3G ~ $50
better case and build qualify $10 - $20
Verizon + Moto profits: $100 - $200
===================

Sounds right to me.. =)

Is it $800 + contract or without contract?

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
I think the $800 would be without a contract, because I told by some Verizon employees that the price with contract would be in the $200 - $300 range.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Well, they can put almost any crazy "no contract" price they want on it - in fact the crazier it is the more likely nobody will ever go for it, which is exactly what the carriers want. By all rights none of these tablets should be sold for more than $300 off contract, and are realistically only worth about $200. Everything thing else is just plain greed and cashing in on the tablet craze while it's hot.

Comacine

Aug 23, 2010
I did expect a crazy off-contract price... it will sell a laughably small number of units and won't matter. This is a carrier's price after all, and is meant to scare buyers into a contract. Patience in buying any of the new units will pay off.

Sent from my Haipad701 using Android Tablet Forum App

tabletguy

Dec 7, 2010
rumor also has it that the device will be in stores by feb 17th.

Does that mean that honeycomb will be released sometime around that time? Could be. Motorola was really playing this tablet up as being the, "first" honeycomb tablet even though they weren't even running honeycomb on the device at CES. It was only some fancy movies.

house91320

Jan 18, 2011
I don't think the $800 price tag is real because t cant cost that much more then a gtab because there specs are very similar.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Too much for the average Joe and the way things are today I doubt they're even thinking about that price tag. You got Dell Duo for $729 on QVC that's pretty high even with $145 to get it you. Flip a coin and see what you want to do?

superbike81

Jan 3, 2011
I think the $800 would be without a contract, because I told by some Verizon employees that the price with contract would be in the $200 - $300 range.

I noticed by your other posts that you seem very adamant that we are going to see many of these tablets at $250 and I just don't think that's realistic, especially for this first round of big name tablets. I can see maybe $350 or so as the entry level price for any decently well known brands, and maybe your $250 hope will be true by the end of the year for some of the no-name tablets.