hd video?

amarg

Mar 29, 2011
just got my Xoom yesterday, and really like it. I travel for work a ton, and am hoping to use this to watch movies and shows on the plane instead of carrying around a netbook or other laptop

I was able to put some copies of dvd's i own on it, but the problem is they are 720x480. this isn't too bad, but I was really excited for the Xoom for the resolution. I know you can't really upconvert the resolution to match. I have some digital copies of Blu-Ray movies locked into iTunes, and am royally annoyed that after I bought a physical movie, Apple is telling me how and when I can watch the digital copy, aka doesn't transfer over due to DRM locks.

does anyone have any experience getting HD quality video onto a Xoom or other tablet? I don't really want to have to buy a blu-ray drive for my computer and software to rip movies that way, but if that is the only way to get native formatted 1280x800 video, I will look into it.

Big_Jim

Mar 16, 2011
OK, obviously you are new to Apple.
They LOVE to control all their hardware and software. And consequently, their customers. Nothing you buy from Apple is going to be wide open and free. Its all going to be restricted and difficult and clunky and probably only work on Apple hardware.

From this point forward you need to collect things that are completely DRM free, OR........
Just pay for a streaming service and never actually buy anything. For example: Netflix.
And internet radio.

Also, get unlimited data on your cell phone. Tether to XOOM. Since its Android it wont look like you are tethering a laptop. They will never know.

amarg

Mar 29, 2011
thanks for the reply. not new to apple, just always happen to have apple products so it was never an issue. when i lost my iphone last year, i got a windows phone to try something new. i find apple's current marketing ads pretentious and unattractive. all the music i have is drm free, i didn't realize that the digital copies were locked down so hard. i have only watched one once, little ipod touch screen is annoying to watch any movie on.

i could tether it to my samsung focus, and have netflix, but that doesn't do me much good on multiple 6 hour cross country flights a month. that's why i want to rip what i already have, so i can keep myself busy while on travel.

William32

May 9, 2011
I download any DVD converter, but it too expensive, 39.95 dollars! what't more, its function is not powerful. it costs me a lot of time to find the xoom supported formats. when i rip my DVD movies to xoom, it did crashed several times.

Last edited: