HDMI out / avi / other movie players

VetteLT193

Mar 15, 2012
This is kind of a two part question. I'm using hdmi out to watch avi files on my big TV. Some files play great through the baked in "Movies" app. Others don't have sound...

The kicker is the baked in Movies app has some sort of override on the hdmi out. Instead of just mirroring the screen like all the other apps do the Movies app actually manages to send a full HD output to the TV (so the movies look great). If I use a different app (QQ player or Mobo) I get sound but when hooked up to HDMI the output is terrible.

So... is there a way to upgrade the codecs for the baked in Movies app? Or, is there some sort of override on the hdmi out that I can access to force full HD?

I'm rooted... old version of the system still.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sounds like you can try to find another player that works over the HD out (there are many) or you can convert the files to a format usable by the stock player. There is no way to update codecs for apps (it isn't like a pc) you just have to wait until the app developer launches a new app compatible with the format you want to play. In the case of a stock player it is unlikely they will ever update it.

Converting takes time and is a pain but might be the only way to do it if you can't find an app on the market that utilizes the HDMI out properly. Fortunately there are many player apps out there and one of them will probably work (unless Vizio did something totally weird with the HDMI out).

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Mobo is usually one of the better ones but here are more to try. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=video+player&c=apps

I suggest starting with MX, MX Pro and Mobo Pro and Winamp. Just trial and error really.

There are also app codec add ons for certain chipsets too. Vtab has a
1-GHz, dual-core ARM Version 7 Armada 610 processor (uhm, this doesn't sound right but that popped up in the Google search). Looks like it has a Marvell Armada 510 (88AP510), ARM v-7 from the pic in this thread
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...g-micro-sd-card-disassembly-2.html#post183499
which makes it the correct 1.2GHz single core.