Headset/Microphone for NC

twinclouds

May 18, 2011
I installed CM7 and it works great. The BT works and I can pair BT headsets but have not tried out the audio connection successfully yet. Since my goal is to use it for Skype and SIP phone calls, a working headset or microphone is absolutely necessary. My questions are:
1. Has any body successfully make voip calls on NC yet?
2. If yes, what headset/microphone was used?
3. By Googling, I found this store (Barnes & Noble Nook Color 3.5mm C.SHINE Dynamic Driver Handsfree Stereo Headset | OrionGadgets.com) is selling headsets for NC. Does anybody know if the headsets works on NC?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I installed CM7 and it works great. The BT works and I can pair BT headsets but have not tried out the audio connection successfully yet. Since my goal is to use it for Skype and SIP phone calls, a working headset or microphone is absolutely necessary. My questions are:
1. Has any body successfully make voip calls on NC yet?
2. If yes, what headset/microphone was used?
3. By Googling, I found this store (Barnes & Noble Nook Color 3.5mm C.SHINE Dynamic Driver Handsfree Stereo Headset | OrionGadgets.com) is selling headsets for NC. Does anybody know if the headsets works on NC?

twincoulds, at the moment nobody (at least to my knowledge) has been able to make voip calls on the nook. In theory it is possible but from bluetooth only. The Nook headphone jack is output only so that is faulty advertising.

Though it is technically possible with a bluetooth headset there are probably kinks to work out before it will function thus the reason it is not already widley known. If you have a bluetooth headset already paired why don't you try it with skype and let us know how it goes.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
twincoulds, at the moment nobody (at least to my knowledge) has been able to make voip calls on the nook. In theory it is possible but from bluetooth only. The Nook headphone jack is output only so that is faulty advertising.

Though it is technically possible with a bluetooth headset there are probably kinks to work out before it will function thus the reason it is not already widley known. If you have a bluetooth headset already paired why don't you try it with skype and let us know how it goes.

Won't work as yet - the nook is not wired to handle incoming voice whether coming from bluetooth

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

snehne

Jul 22, 2011
Could you elaborate a bit on the "not wired" part? Supposedly the same chipset used in Nook Color was also used by some generic tablet (I don't recall specifically which one though -- sorry), so it seems the hardware is there ... Or did I get this wrong?

Thanks,

Sean

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The Nook Color is not physically setup to take voice input. The 3.5mm jack is for audio out only. That leaves the usb port and bluetooth as input options. It has not been confirmed that any hardware in the Nook Color is capable of processing incoming voice data enven if it is input via usb or bluetooth.

In the case of bluetooth it was recognized right away that the chips were there that would allow bluetooth to be enabled. This was widely known and anticipated for quite sometime before the bluetooth was eventually made available via software. If there were voice input capablities this would also be widely known and anticipated.

So bottom line is as of now there is no way to take voice input regardless of the method you use. There are developers looking into the possibility but it seems unlikely that any future software fix will allow for voice input given that there is no news regarding such ability or any information specifically stating that the physical hardware is there to do so.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
I think its a matter of time since when Skype and other voice related apps will work with nook.Maybe its a matter of cable, maybe cause of USB host power, but I believe soon there will be a solution.
What I think that should be upgraded is the Bluetooth range which is really small.

Sent from Nook Color on Cm7 Nightly 129 @1.300Mhz

snehne

Jul 22, 2011
On the other forum I saw some discussions. It seems that the lack of support of BT headset is indeed a software issue, but not with the BT driver; it has to do with the audio driver. Apparently there are proprietary audio driver(s) that would support the same chipset, but none is in the open world, and B&N definitely did nothing to help (understandably).

The 3.5 jack is indeed output only and that cannot be changed. So it has to be either USB or BT. I suppose the developers have not reverse engineered enough info to "hack" the audio yet... So there is hope.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
On the other forum I saw some discussions. It seems that the lack of support of BT headset is indeed a software issue, but not with the BT driver; it has to do with the audio driver. Apparently there are proprietary audio driver(s) that would support the same chipset, but none is in the open world, and B&N definitely did nothing to help (understandably).

The 3.5 jack is indeed output only and that cannot be changed. So it has to be either USB or BT. I suppose the developers have not reverse engineered enough info to "hack" the audio yet... So there is hope.

Thanks for the update. There is hope but I can see why there isn't much talk about making it work.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
Thanks for the update. There is hope but I can see why there isn't much talk about making it work.

I have the voice and audio working with usb host. I am using the microphone for input. I am also using a bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse using cm7 and nightly 139. I am using Logitech USB Headset H360. I've only seen this headset and 1 other that works for microphone input as well as sound recorder app.

Edit: I use the microphone icon on the keyboard for input. It said "import" so I used my Xoom bluetooth keyboard to edit it to "input". Most of the time it gets things right. it also works with the sound recorder app. Notice the lower case i at the beginning of the sentence. My bluetooth keyboard just went to sleep and it took me a while to awaken it. I have too much technology going on.

I also use it for skype. I do not know sky pinole used it twice with my friend. "Pinole" was suppose to be "and only". Skype is the 1 application where voice input is crackly with my headset. Verygreen over at xda in his usb host thread stated that he knows how to fix this but has not done so yet. Just did this line by typing, had to reconnect keyboard to type this line. All is not where it needs to be yet. Hitting submit button and moving my position in text using the bluetooth mouse which to me works better then the bluetooth keyboard.

Speakers in my usb headset are also working. Summarize microphone and speakers usb host keyboard and mouse bluetooth.

In this forum for 48.1 minutes. Battery went from 100% to 89%. This is one reason I like bluetooth better then usb host since I can keep my power plug in. For all this experiment I have the nook on the original Griffin ipad stand. That works great. I am typing this now with my power plugged in and using my bluetooth keyboard. My headset was connected directly to the usb connector by a 2 foot cable micro to usb male and female to female adapter I bought at monoprice.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
This is awesome news. I haven't been playing with usb hosting but it sounds like you have quite a nice setup. So is the mic only working through usb or have you also been able to do voice through bluetooth? The reason I ask is because I haven't really heard much about it via bluetooh which has been avaialble for a while. The usb option is pretty new so that is the first I have heard and it's encouraging that it can be done. I think a lot of people would like to use bluetooth headsets for voice over a usb mic given the choice.

jmh68

Dec 21, 2011
I finally got my Logitech wireless USB headset working with a powered hub. Had to reboot a few times and plug in, unplug, etc. several times until things just came together. The weird problem I am now having is that any audio I play via the headset is running too fast! I don't noice it as much watching internal video files, but music sounds noticeably higher pitched and faster than it should be. Does anyone have any idea what in the world could be causing this? Very strange!