Hello I am a newbie

Sheehan1

Jun 25, 2013
Hi all,
I am from Australia and just joined this forums. I have just purchased a Nexus 7 32gb 3g tablet and trying to get my head around it as it is my first tablet. I will be using the tablet mainly for access to the internet when I am away from my computer. Not much into listening to music this way as I have a high end amp and speakers at home to listen to music. I am not much into watching movies so my usage will be fairly limited. I have dowloaded a couple of apps e.g. Evernote, Camera starter, Swiftkey, Avast Mobile secuxrity, Keepass and X-plore. I was going to download a good office app so I can produce a few documents. I saw some good reviews of King Soft free office for androids. I couldntd find it on the Apps store so went to the Kingsoft website and downloaded it. However my tablet wouldnt instal the app and it said it wasnt from the Apps store and that it was unsafe to download apps from other sites and the warranty would be voided if anything happened. I see you can adjust the settings to accept downloads from other sites.
Is this a good program and is it safe to download it from Kingsoft. I had a look at the Softonic website where you can also download Kingsoft but I read a few reviews which mentioned it not a very safe site to download from.
Anyone have any thoughts on Kingsoft and whether it is safe to download and whether it is a good app.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I downloaded Kingsoft from Play store and think it's the best free office app out there. It's got everything from word document, powerpoint and a spreadsheet. It also let's me connect and save files to Google Drive and other cloud storages. I'm surprised it's free.

Sheehan1

Jun 25, 2013
Thanks for your input. I looked in my Play store app which has been pre loaded onto my Nexus but I couldnt find it in there. I did find it by googling it on the website of Play store. I will just download it from there and change my security settings to allow the download. All should be OK. Thanks again for the welcome and advice.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for your input. I looked in my Play store app which has been pre loaded onto my Nexus but I couldnt find it in there. I did find it by googling it on the website of Play store. I will just download it from there and change my security settings to allow the download. All should be OK. Thanks again for the welcome and advice.

I'm afraid if I understand you correctly that what you want to do won't work. If it was an app that came with your tablet, (called a stock app) the only way many of those, (that were custom to that manufacturer), will get an update is with an update to the Android OS on your tablet. If you search for the app using the app store app and can't find it there is no way to download it from the Google WEB site, (one way or the other). and it wasn't intended to be downloaded to your tablet, at least not from Google.

An example is Polaris Office, it came with my tablet but even though there is a newer version on the app store I can't install/use it.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I would download it from the Kingsoft website and then uncheck the Unknown Sources in Settings - Security to install the app.

IMO, Kingsoft is the best Office App for Android.