Help identifying unbranded tablet

amarant

Sep 5, 2011
Hello everyone,

A friend gave me this unbranded android tablet that stays freezed at boot. Can you help me identify it?
I would like to do a factory reset for the moment. Since I cannot look at any files in it, I will tell you the buttons it has and attach some pictures.

Buttons: Power, Menu, Volume + and -
It has also a Mic.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• $Conegliano-20110904-00364.jpg
    $Conegliano-20110904-00364.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 1,642
  • $Conegliano-20110904-00363.jpg
    $Conegliano-20110904-00363.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 1,668
  • $Conegliano-20110904-00362.jpg
    $Conegliano-20110904-00362.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 1,730
  • $Conegliano-20110904-00361.jpg
    $Conegliano-20110904-00361.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 1,787
  • $Conegliano-20110904-00360.jpg
    $Conegliano-20110904-00360.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 1,593

amarant

Sep 5, 2011
I think that's the one! It looks a lot like mine.

Now mine stays in the boot image, saying "KinBo just do it"... I guess I need to find now the right firmware to load on a microSD card. Is that correct?
Where could I find it?

Thanks a lot!

hdmp4

Sep 2, 2011
Try pressing Power + one of the hardware keys, e.g. volume up or down or any other keys you have.

Purpose is to find how to boot into recovery, from there you should be able to press wipe data/cache.
Meaning you will do a factory reset and that should do the trick.

When you get into recovery, you may see a screen with a large ! mark.
Try pressing some buttons to move from the ! screen to another one which will have a selection menu.

amarant

Sep 5, 2011
Thanks a lot for your response Eric.
I have actually been trying that for a while without success. What is the proper way? To have both power + another button pressed for some seconds, or keep this other button pressed and then go for the power button?

I can't find how to enter into recovery mode!

thanks again

hdmp4

Sep 2, 2011
To have both power + another button pressed for some seconds, or keep this other button pressed and then go for the power button?

Press both power and another button together to power up the unit.
Try keep both button pressed until u see something.

amarant said:
Buttons: Power, Menu, Volume + and -

My best guess is try Power + Menu
because that's what is commonly used.

gerotimm

Sep 8, 2011
Maybe a simple "reset" will do the trick.
Remember, there is a very tiny little hole on a side of the tablet.
(on mine, WM8650 7", it is on the "top" edege/side).
A small opened Paper-Clipp will do the job. Hold it down for SEVERAL seconds.

Good Luck ! :)

amarant

Sep 5, 2011
Press both power and another button together to power up the unit.
Try keep both button pressed until u see something.

My best guess is try Power + Menu
because that's what is commonly used.

I tried them ALL for several seconds and nothing happens... I keep seeing that "KinBo just do it" thing...

amarant

Sep 5, 2011
Maybe a simple "reset" will do the trick.
Remember, there is a very tiny little hole on a side of the tablet.
(on mine, WM8650 7", it is on the "top" edege/side).
A small opened Paper-Clipp will do the job. Hold it down for SEVERAL seconds.

Good Luck ! :)

Thanks gerotimm,

I have tried that too... and still the same.

hdmp4

Sep 2, 2011
I tried them ALL for several seconds and nothing happens... I keep seeing that "KinBo just do it" thing...
Are you sure you have continue to press on those keys all the time until you see something on the screen?
Pressing for several seconds is not enough, you need to PRESS it UNTIL you get into recovery mode. If you are not sure, try press it for 20 seconds before you release it.

If you connect this tablet to your computer via USB, does the computer see that your tablet is connected?
If so, you maybe able to use DDMS to see where/why the tablet stopped booting by turning on the tablet with the USB connected to the computer, provided USB debug driver is installed already.

However, it looks like it stopped at the bootloader which means DDMS won't work.

hdmp4

Sep 2, 2011
An alternative you can try is try asking these guys
Zexus Technology (Shenzhen) Co., LTD.
(I found them in less than a min using Google....)

They seems to be selling this, ask them to provide firmware upgrade and how to do it.
That should fix this, otherwise, your tablet may have some hardware fault.

amarant

Sep 5, 2011
Are you sure you have continue to press on those keys all the time until you see something on the screen?
Pressing for several seconds is not enough, you need to PRESS it UNTIL you get into recovery mode. If you are not sure, try press it for 20 seconds before you release it.

If you connect this tablet to your computer via USB, does the computer see that your tablet is connected?
If so, you maybe able to use DDMS to see where/why the tablet stopped booting by turning on the tablet with the USB connected to the computer, provided USB debug driver is installed already.

However, it looks like it stopped at the bootloader which means DDMS won't work.

I tried them all for 30 seconds and nothing...
The problem with the USB cable is that I have there are no standard USB ports on it. There is a module on which i can connect some USB stuff; thus a module with 2 USB receptacles. I would need a cable with Standard type A on BOTH ends... that doesn't seem right!

I just wrote to the zexustech guys... let's see if they can give me the secret combination :)

Thanks for your help! If you (or anyone else) have some other ideas to try, let me know!

QuinnV

Feb 5, 2012
That is a 7 inch epad, sold on aliexpress. It is a really common android iPad knockoff.