Help me choose please!

SpawNerGR

Jul 3, 2012
Hello dear community,

so i wanted a machine thats portable cause i am always on the way and wanted the portability,
but i came to a point that i cant get further, and i thought i share with you my thoughts in order to help me come to a conclusion.
The thing is that i see a lot of tablets out there and instead of searching and searching without a stop, on reviews, videos, comparisons and things like that,
i am asking myself what do i need from the machine, cause basically its must be a tool in order to take with me my things i work on my laptop.
I came to some conclusion and i share with you based on my research the best value for money results.

The cheapest i found on ebay was this MID v7 for 50€ from China directly.
What a price for a new tablet, but i asked myself whats the catch?
Well as i see it has 256MB and VIA8650 which makes it slow.
Even more it has a resitive screen which makes it unscrollabe and unusable.
But lets be real here, for this price what do you expect?
From your experience how would you rate it? B / C / Garbage?

Then i researched a bit more, in order to find the points that i didn't like on the MID,
and found the Ainol NOVO 7 Paladin for 80€ in Germany (where i live in) including the shipping!!
The machine is SUPER i see from all over the internet and it has the big advandage that i can get it from the county i live in,
which is a big deal cause i will get it FAST, without any shipping and without any CUSTOMS.
Very important things here, cause if i face problems with customs in Germany then i can forget about it,
cause of the strict policy the customs in Germany have here!
Also the fast delivery time is a huge plus cause i wont wait a month like the MID v7 to come to me, instead im guessing i get it in a week!
The only minus here is that if you compare it to the MIDv7 the price as you can see is almost the double,
but lets be real here, what do u get for 50 and what do you get for 80? In the first you get a cute little thing and in the second you get a cute, but super fast thing!

Some would say that i came to a point that clearly i can choose from,
but then a little devil came in my mind, and said, hey lets see, if i add 20€ more to the 80€ i would spend in the Ainol what do i get from it?
A whole new level came with the 10" screens tablets!! The first thoughts where, for 20€ more i get a 10"
but then looked here and there and saw that this tablet with the 100€ its basically a MID v7 with a bigger screen but also with all the disadvantages, cause its super slow and with a resitive touch screen which makes it barely usable and i dont want that! It maybe a 10" but only the looks of it make it worth the money.
I should step up to the double price of the Ainol in order to have a 10" that has the futures like the Ainol (also with the doubled price i get a GPS receiver, cool!)

So lets make a sum up, we have the MID v7 which is so cheap, but so slow for only 50€.
Then for 30€ more i get a very fast 7" tablet, but 30€ more!
For the double price of the MID v7 i get just a bigger screen, but only that and its the double price of the MIDv7
and for the double price of the Ainol i get the super speedy 10", but thats almost the price i get for the Galaxy tab that i can pick up from my local electronic store, with the brand, the guarantee and the speed it futures and the the speedy 10" i mention if you compare it to the MIDv7 its the triple price, that means that with that money i spent for this i can get 3 MIDs.

An other factor is, i dont want to loose productivity, so i would like to buy with the tablet a case with a keyboard, so i can write with it instead writing and tapping on the screen.
If you combine the 10" tablet which costs 150€ and the keyborad what do you get? A NETBOOK!
That much it costs for a very good 10" (or even 12") solid netbook which i am familiar with, i had plenty of them passing by my hands and used often,
plus it has more storage from the tablet, is quicker, feautures a keyboard and a lot of other things.

What do you think guys, cause insanity got all over me and i am so confused, that i came to a point that i dont do anything and cant get any further without your help!
I kindly would like your opinion and wait for your reply!

Thank you!

P.S. ( I would like to apologize from the native English speaking people if i made mistakes in the English text i wrote,
but mine language isn't English, but i try all of you to understand me, without any mistakes, thanks)

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Welcome German guy,I want to talk yo you just about portability You said you're always on the road and need portability and that means-7" tablet-. .....10" is definitely too big!
Oh and between a tablet from China and a good brand from the store I would go with the second, if I can afford it. Have fun whatever you choose! :)
Gloria

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
hi, i dont understand your customs problems, many chinese sellers deliberately undervalue their sales to overseas buyers eg, i bought a yuandao n90 dula-core tablet valued at $250 but when it was shipped the value on the package was $35 so import tax was low. in fact it seems that because it was so low, dhl paid the difference (they obvioulsy dont have to pay what a customer would) the tablet is excellent value & undermines the big name brand tablets which would cost double that at least in my country. it is fast, light & matches the performance of all but the very top spec branded tablets, which again would cost even more money.
depending on what you want from a tablet, i have had a 7" tab 7 its fine for portability but more difficult to use due to its size, they make excellent e-readers & light web browsers but if, like most people you start to find you want to use it for more & more things, then screen size becomes an issue. if 7" is fine with you then i would suggest ainol elf 2 tab if you can stretch your budget. i would probably go for a bigger tablet myself, possibly an 8" tab would be better due to screen layout making it better for browsing etc (4;3 ratio over 16;9) there are several good tabs with reasonable prices, my pick being teclast p85 for best specs/value.
i would forget resistive screens as they are very annoying to use & will only frustrate you making you wish you had spent the extra money. i had a 7" mid tablet myself as my first device & while at entry level these things can do most things, they dont do them well & leave you wanting more. i agree for the price they are a
great way into tablet computing but they're so slow & resistive screen is so poor that you will without doubt want something better within weeks of buying.
i would suggest you go by these basic specs & see what you can find that suits you, in your price range. !. ddr ram memory of at least 512mb (pref 1gb) 2. capacitive screen 3. nandflash memory at least 8gb. 4. cpu speed 1ghz or more (a10 cpu is very good) 5. expandable memory up to at least another 8gb (most will go to 32gb) 6.
decent battery life 4hrs or more. with these specs in mind i'm sure you will find something that suits your needs but if buying from china , pick a supporting vendor from this forum. this is important as they are far more reliable & trustworthy than other chines sellers who are only profit orientated & offer no after sales support. i would rather pay a few extra euros for peace of mind than save a few the be left waiting for something that may take a very long time due to stock/postal issues etc as many seem to do. here is my pick of these supporting vendors. i ahve used several times & trust them. they do not sell oem (copy tablets) but only genuine chines branded goods. it is well worth looking at their site even if its just to see what competition is out there for the big brands & to make price v specs comparisons. good luck.

Teclast P85 8 inch Android 4.0 Tablet PC Capacitive Touch Screen Allwinner A10 Teclast P85 8 inch Android 4.0 Tablet PC Capacitive Touch Screen Allwinner A10 [TP85] - $167.99 : China Tablet PC - Android Tablet PC - Consumer Electronics Goods

SpawNerGR

Jul 3, 2012
Back again... had very little time in general to search more and more cause of my work, but i came up to a decision.
I searched about all your answers and much appriciated them all.
I finally got a used Hercules eCafe which has Linux on it and as of the specs it has, 10" screen, wifi,lan,sim card, a keyboard and 13hours battery life cause of the processor architecture!!
I am now searching for installing android on it :D

Thank you all for all your answers.