Help...my Acer a100 won't power up

JennRice

Sep 13, 2012
I've got a used Acer a100 in January....it's been wonderful. My husband and I love the thing and it has been working great, with no issues...until now. :( 2 days ago my husband was using it and turned it off to charge it before bed as he does every night. This morning, it won't come back on. When plugged in, the power button is blue. I've tried pressing it for 1 sec to "wake" it...nothing. Tried for 3-5 sec, the light turns blue, but no vibration and the screen remains black. The "home" light will flash, though and when I tap the home, that light comes on and stays on for a little while. I've tried pushing the power button for 10 seconds (the blue light goes off), then pushing it again for 3-5 sec., same as before. I've tried using a paperclip to "reset" it. I've tried the volume + power combo....but it never vibrates, the screen remains black...(I've tried flicking the screen lock back and forth quickly once the light comes on...but again, nothing.) It does the same thing whether plugged in or not. It obviously has "power" since the blue light and the home light are working, but will not power up. I can't even get the "Acer" or "Android" screens.....just black screen, no vibration.

Help!!!

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Try the following:

Plug the power pack back in to the tablet.

Then push and hold until you feel the vibration. Do not push too hard - you don't want to damage or dislodge the switch.

Once you feel the vibration let go of the switch and just wait patiently to see what happens. It may take awhile.

What I believe has happened is that the tablet was not turned off but in a "sleep state" and all the attempts to turn it on has confused it. This has happened to me because I always ( almost always) turn my A500 off BUT on a few ocassions I have hibernated the tablet. Then picked up the tablet some hours later and held the button in longer than the quick press - only to confuse the tablet.

Last edited:

JennRice

Sep 13, 2012
Try the following:

Plug the power pack back in to the tablet.

Then push and hold until you feel the vibration. Do not push too hard - you don't want to damage or dislodge the switch.

Once you feel the vibration let go of the switch and just wait patiently to see what happens. It may take awhile.

What I believe has happened is that the tablet was not turned off but in a "sleep state" and all the attempts to turn it on has confused it. This has happened to me because I always ( almost always) turn my A500 off BUT on a few ocassions I have hibernated the tablet. Then picked up the tablet some hours later and held the button in longer than the quick press - only to confuse the tablet.

Nope....I tried that. I never get a vibration.....even after waiting up to 60 seconds with the button pressed. When I do that, the blue light comes on within 3 seconds and I tried removing my finger then and waiting for the screen to light, but alas....it is not to be. I get nothing.....no vibration, no "Acer", nothing.....except if I hit the house button...then that lights up.....but it won't power on. :(

mbjohnsonmn

Sep 28, 2012
Hello. I had the exact same behavior with my A100. I got it to vibrate by inserting a paper clip into the reset hole and holding it while I pushed the start button. So, now I get the "erasing..." messages, but have not got beyond that. The screen now shows "acer acer" but seems to freeze there. So, I am still working on it. If I hold the up volume toggle while starting, I get the sd load screens, but I don't have a sd card to use with that process, so it fails. I hope that helps.

JennRice

Sep 13, 2012
Hello. I had the exact same behavior with my A100. I got it to vibrate by inserting a paper clip into the reset hole and holding it while I pushed the start button. So, now I get the "erasing..." messages, but have not got beyond that. The screen now shows "acer acer" but seems to freeze there. So, I am still working on it. If I hold the up volume toggle while starting, I get the sd load screens, but I don't have a sd card to use with that process, so it fails. I hope that helps.

Nope...tried that too....nothing.

Anyone else???

tmdallas

Sep 29, 2012
My a100 froze up on me yesterday. I tried resetting with paper clip but all I get now is the acer screen. Tried reset holding volume but I get error messages. Any thoughts on how to reset? what needs to be on the sd card to make it complete the res

mbjohnsonmn

Sep 28, 2012
My a100 froze up on me yesterday. I tried resetting with paper clip but all I get now is the acer screen. Tried reset holding volume but I get error messages. Any thoughts on how to reset? what needs to be on the sd card to make it complete the res

Mine froze while in the process of downloading and installing several updates, for various programs. I wonder if that had something to do with this??? I did get it vibrate for a while, but was not successful getting the reset procedure to work. Now it is back to not doing anything but what JennRice describes above. Mine is still under warranty, I think, but I am out of the country for another 3 weeks. :-(

tabletchik

Oct 15, 2012

*** This just happened to me too! And its the second time....the first time I just took the tablet back and got a replacement. But now I dont live close to that store anymore....I do know that I use my apps alot and it seems like both times I was in the middle of a long coin drop game -- dangit. This new time, however the tablet was on and working fine and then at 12:00 noon it just froze. When I got it to come back on it wont load up pass the ACER screen. :-(

Adastra62

Nov 22, 2011
Mine didn't freeze, it acted like it would take a charge and then wouldn't. If it will turn on you could back up all of your files onto a computer or a micro SD card. However, if it won't turn on you have one of two problems like I did, the motherboard has either gone bad or the power connection where you insert the power charger is messed up.(Of which it could be that your charge is bad as well, best to take it to your electronics retailer and let them run a diagnostic.) Mine did exactly that and they wound up replacing the motherboard in it. (the connection port and my charger weren't the problem). Good luck with yours. It cost me about $100 to get it fixed. But darn well worth it. I wouldn't trade my A100 for nothing.

Jayspopp

Oct 21, 2011
I am now having the same problem as described and hope someone out there has a solution for all of us.