Help - new user wishes to set up multiple users, with password protection

arnieboy

Dec 23, 2011
Hi

Just bought my wife an A500 Iconia having never used a tablet before. Downloaded the user guide from Acer and it seems very basic. I am used to Windows where it is easy to set up new user accounts and passwords but I can't see any obvious way to do this. Please can someone enlighten me? A search on this site did not find any relevant hits. I want to set up separate accounts for my wife and I, exactly the same as I do on my Windows laptop. My gut feeling is this should be easy....

Ta in advance.

arnieboy

Dec 23, 2011
And I also forgot to ask how to set up the tablet to use UK English, only US English is given as an option. Thanks...

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
I don't believe so. Android was not set up to be used by different users on the same device. You can have multiple gmail accounts or any other email accounts on the device, but the device is tied (for backup and Android Market purposes) to one Google account. You can't set up profiles on an Android device and have the device show different apps, etc. based on the profile being used.

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
And I also forgot to ask how to set up the tablet to use UK English, only US English is given as an option. Thanks...

In what context did you want to use UK English versus US English? If it is in the context of the keyboard (and the accompanying predictive text), then you can simply download a different keyboard and depending on the developer, it may or may not support UK English. For example, Swiftkey X supports UK English, while Thumb Keyboard does not differentiate between the two different styles of English.

What version of Honeycomb is running on your A500? We have three of them (all just updated to Honeycomb 3.2.1) and in Settings, Language and Input, they all have two types of English listed, US English and UK English.

arnieboy

Dec 23, 2011
Thanks for the quick replies, shows how little I know about Android! I will check the software version.