Help on Onda V712

vortgrenade4

Nov 14, 2012
Hi. I'm a real newbie regarding Android devices. I have an Onda v712 that I bought yesterday. I'm from iOS, I know some stuffs about it like how to jailbreak, restore, unlock etc. Going to Android, I'm a total starnger. So here are my questions that I hope get answered. >.<

1) Is there a root for this device? How? And what are the benefits of rooting?
2) Is my device already updated? I've been reading about updates in this forum about the facebook not working etc but can't figure out how to do it, And is it not the same with the check for updates on the settings? It says mine is updated, so it means mine is updated?
3) Can I update this to Jellybean? I've read on other sites that it comes with ICS but support Jellybean update, but like what I've said, I check the update on the settings and it says mine is updated
4)How to save downloaded games on the SD card instead on the internal mem.

Sorry for the questions, and I hope I get a step by step guide for a newbie like me. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

*Edited
So here are the answers I've gathered from this thread. Summarize all in one page. You can also read this thread for more additional information and you could ask if you have any questions.

Q: How to root my Onda V712?
A: 1) download the Root.zip file here http://www.inwtablet.com/Downloads/Tools/root.zip
2) Copy/drag+drop root.zip to your sd-card. Switch off the tablet. Boot to recovery mode and select- apply update from sdcard then select- root.zip when done reboot. After reboot you'll see Root Explorer and Super User app. It means you are rooted already. Enjoy!

Q: How to flash (update firmware) and root my Onda V712? Follow this guide also to remove ALL CHINESE APPS.
A: Follow this step by step guide here
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/onda-tablet-forum/49264-onda-v701-ics-4-0-3-play-store-etc-walk-through.html

(Alternative way how to :
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/onda-tablet-forum/49964-all-onda-sd-card-firmware-installer-v1-0-a.html)

Firmware download for v2 Onda v712: http://file2.mydrivers.com/ondata/download/driver/oamp3/V712D/V712D-V2_v1.5.5.zip (for v1 search onda.cn)

Credits and thank you for
iiDiabolusZz

Last edited:

asjohnston3

Oct 10, 2012
Greetings & Salutations, welcome to the forum.
Congratulations on stepping up to Android....

1. Yes, there is a root process for your tablet. It gives you root level file access. It's like having Administrator Privileges on a PC. You need to have a good understanding of what the system files do in Android or you can unintentionally turn your tablet into a brick! The flip side is that it will allow you to do a lot of stuff (like get rid of bloatware) you couldn't do otherwise.

2 & 3. The 1[SUP]st[/SUP] thingyou need to know is what firmware you have on your tablet. To determine this,go to settings and open "About tablet" and look under &#8220;Basebandversion&#8221;. It will tell you what firmware you have. You should have 1.5 or better. The 2nd thing is to check "Android version" - you should have 4.03 (ICS). Onda is rolling out 4.1 for all their tablets but their have been some early reports of downgraded WiFi capability for some reason. You will be able to update your tablet to Jellybean when Onda posts the package. If you have 1.5 & ICS you are in pretty good shape for now.

4. Moving most apps to your SD card is easy. Just go to manage apps and select the particular app and tap "Move to Tablet" & you are done!

Hope this helps... Take a look at some of the other postings here. There is a lot of good info. Many of the postings for other dual core Onda tablets are applicable to the v712....

vortgrenade4

Nov 14, 2012
thank you for answering my questions. And here is my baseband version 1.5.5 and my Android version is 4.0.3 , does this mean mine is updated and no need to change anything?

i have another question, mine comes with a 16gb internal storage but how come under Apps-Downloaded , I only have 1gb of storage? does it means it saves my apps on the ram memory making it slow?? and what I want is that when I download an app it automatically goes to the sd card instead of the internal storage to save some space cause i have a 32gb sd card.

and how do i remove the Chinese apps? can you post a step by step guide? and do I need to root to have those paid apps be installed for free? and do would you recommend that I root my device? Thank you again sir. sorry for my many questions. i hope i'm not bothering you that much. >.<

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
thank you for answering my questions. And here is my baseband version 1.5.5 and my Android version is 4.0.3 , does this mean mine is updated and no need to change anything?

i have another question, mine comes with a 16gb internal storage but how come under Apps-Downloaded , I only have 1gb of storage? does it means it saves my apps on the ram memory making it slow?? and what I want is that when I download an app it automatically goes to the sd card instead of the internal storage to save some space cause i have a 32gb sd card.

and how do i remove the Chinese apps? can you post a step by step guide? and do I need to root to have those paid apps be installed for free? and do would you recommend that I root my device? Thank you again sir. sorry for my many questions. i hope i'm not bothering you that much. >.<

Hi, you need to install new firmware if you want to remove all the chinese apps, i just replied to your question on rooting before i read this post, Rooting your device dosnt allow the downloading of paid apps for free it simply allows access to the ROOT MEMORY of your device. The Firmware you need is here www.onda.cn&#47;Support&#47;Search.aspx&#63;ch&#61;1&#38;pageIndex&#61;1 - Translator make sure you download the correct version for your tablet V1/V2 then follow this http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...01-ics-4-0-3-play-store-etc-walk-through.html only download the root.zip and Gapps files and use your firmware V1/V2 this will rid the tablet of all the chinese bloat. As for your storage problem once you flashed it will be sorted, but you can just move the apps to external sdcard (if they allow).

asjohnston3

Oct 10, 2012
1st thing... a quick shout out to iiDiabolusZz.... Thanks much for the root tool you posted. It worked great on my v811. Keep up the good work!
& now - an alternate approach.....

If your tablet already has 1.5.5 & 4.0.3 you are already in pretty good shape & you could just put the root.zip provided by iiDiabolusZz on a SD card and install it. (as far as the bloat ware is concerned, read on) What app markets do you use? Do you have to side load apps? If you use Google Play, is it already functional on your tablet? ..... You could then install "Gemini App Manager" and use it to freeze the unwanted apps. Titanium Pro can do this as well but Gemini works well for this & is free. (both require root access) The advantage of freezing over removing is the ability to un-freeze an app if something starts acting weird. (It's been a couple of days since I froze all the Chinese Bloatware apps on my tablet & have not had any problems)

On memory... You have 3 different types. Go to "Storage" in "Settings" & take a look. The 1.1 Gig of internal storage is actually like the ROM on a computer that contains the Bios file. These are system files. You may be able to access these without going into recovery mode on a rooted device but I would really be careful as this is a super quick way to brick your tablet. You have an additional 16 Gigs of Ram under "Onda Mid". You are probably wondering why you are only seeing 13.23 Gigs of total space. The other 2.77 Gigs are reserved for running processes, additional non-critical system files and core apps. Here again, it's probably best to leave these alone. Think of this memory as a combination of the hard drive and RAM on a PC. The last type is your SD card. Do you have an external USB hard drive? It's the same thing for a tablet. It sounds like your biggest concern is apps running in the background, eating up your memory and slowing down your tablet. You need an App Manager. Here again, I recommend "Gemini App Manager". It has a one key RAM optimizer. Another good one is "ES Task Manager". As far as moving apps to your SD card is concerned, There is probably a way to do this automatically but I'm not aware of it. I simply use Manage Apps (Under System Settings) and go through my apps and move the majority to the SD card. In any case, apps stored on your tablet in the Onda Mid area don't slow things down unless they are running in the background.

vortgrenade4

Nov 14, 2012
thank you sirs for the reply! i've never seen such warm replies in any forum like this one. thank you again sirs.
i did what you said sir. i just rooted my phone instead of updating it first. then i removed the chinese apps by using root explorer, under /system/app then i deleted the .apk of the chinese apps and then they were gone. i also went to /sdcard then deleted the files there except for android secure, lost.dir and the external sd card. i hope i did not mess up something.:( i'll dowload also the app you suggested sir.

sir when i dowload an app from the store where does it goes? on the Onda Mid or the Ram mem? and how do i get paid apps for free?

vortgrenade4

Nov 14, 2012
and i have another question. how do you haptic vibration? and does the home screen doesn't have wallpaper bg? it is just pure black, can i put one? how?

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
and i have another question. how do you haptic vibration? and does the home screen doesn't have wallpaper bg? it is just pure black, can i put one? how?

Hi i have the v701 and this tablet does not have vibration on it im not sure about v712, as for wallpaper just touch and hold your home screen and a menu pops up to choose wallpaper.
Also on your question about apps they install on your Onda Mid, if you goto system settings then storage you will see the graphs showing memory used/free press on Apps under Onda Mid section and you will see your downloaded apps.
To move a app just press on it and it may have the option to move highlighted if not you can use Root Explorer to cut and paste.
As for getting paid apps for free? Never tried looking i dont mind the ads and if i liked it that much i would pay the Dev for his/her time in putting the app up there.

Last edited:

vortgrenade4

Nov 14, 2012
Hi i have the v701 and this tablet does not have vibration on it im not sure about v712, as for wallpaper just touch and hold your home screen and a menu pops up to choose wallpaper.
Also on your question about apps they install on your Onda Mid, if you goto system settings then storage you will see the graphs showing memory used/free press on Apps under Onda Mid section and you will see your downloaded apps.
To move a app just press on it and it may have the option to move highlighted if not you can use Root Explorer to cut and paste.
As for getting paid apps for free? Never tried looking i dont mind the ads and if i liked it that much i would pay the Dev for his/her time in putting the app up there.

I mean on the screen part where you can see all your apps. the screen when you press the four square on the upper right corner of the tablet. is it just really pure black? can i put wallpapers on it? for my tablet too, i can't see haptic feedback. I really like to pay those apps, but I don't have the resources how to (paypal, credit cards) so I have no choice to download.

Though I found a glitch on my tablet, the numbers on the calculator app overlaps the screen, you have to adjust it first to see the whole number, the time on the notification area overlaps the date area and my clock sometimes don't update and even I put the correct time zone on the settings the time is still wrong so I have manually adjusted it.

vortgrenade4

Nov 14, 2012
I found this statements on onda-tablet.com

• "What version of android does it run? V4.0 ICS can it be upgraded?
  • Onda Tablet:
    Thank you for your mail.
    Onda V712 Dual Core is pre-installed with Andoroid 4.0 ICS OS,and support Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Firmware update."
&#8203;How come I can't update mine?

vortgrenade4

Nov 14, 2012
The problem with the clock on the notification area is still there. Though when I check on my settings the correct time is there. for example in my settings under time and date it is 12:00 pm on the notification area it is like 1:40pm. And I just found out today that even though I'm connected on the internet on the notification area it says not connected. I have to shut my tablet first then turn it on again for it to be correct. kind a annoying, though I'm thinking it is software related, and just waiting for jellybean. ~.~ is there any settings to disable the clock on the notification area? or any solutions about my problem?do I need to restore back to the original firmware before I rooted this? though when i used this tablet for the first time the problem is already there, but just the clock area on the noti area not displaying the correct time zone. is it software related? or hardware? if hardware how to unroot and go back to original firmware? so I can return it asap.

Last edited:

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
I mean on the screen part where you can see all your apps. the screen when you press the four square on the upper right corner of the tablet. is it just really pure black? can i put wallpapers on it? for my tablet too, i can't see haptic feedback. I really like to pay those apps, but I don't have the resources how to (paypal, credit cards) so I have no choice to download.

Though I found a glitch on my tablet, the numbers on the calculator app overlaps the screen, you have to adjust it first to see the whole number, the time on the notification area overlaps the date area and my clock sometimes don't update and even I put the correct time zone on the settings the time is still wrong so I have manually adjusted it.

Did you install the correct firmware V1/V2? Have you selected auto update of time/date in settings?

Last edited:

vortgrenade4

Nov 14, 2012
Did you install the correct firmware V1/V2? Have you selected auto update of time/date in settings?

I didn't install any firmware, the one I'm using now is the preloaded one when I bought it. the version is baseband 1.5.5, ICS (4.0.3), I think mine is version 2 because at the back the 9th and 10th characters are V2. I didn't select auto update of time/date because even though I have the right time zone, it shows the wrong time. so i just did is to manually set it up but the problem is after a while it doesn't update. I have this problem since I bought it and before I rooted it.