Help! Which personal video player?

DavidA72

Apr 26, 2012
I am looking to buy a personal video player to watch movies on plane journeys etc. To date I have used a Cowon A3 which is a great little unit. A 4" screen and a 80GB drive. Also, video out so that I can keep the kids entertained with TV shows on holiday. Unfortunately a lot of shows I watch now are H264, which the A3 doesn't fully support. I have an iPad1 and iPad3, but I can't be fussed with transcoding my shows to iPad format.

So I was thinking about upgrading to an Android tablet.

The criteria is:
- 64GB or larger
- Ability to play 720p H264
- Video out
- Screen between 4" and 8"
- Easy to power
- Easy to transfer files from PC
- Good build quality

I've been looking at the Samsung 7.7. Can anyone make some other recommendations for me?

Thanks in advance.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Archos (Not so much Arnova) has the best core video encoder set. The weakness is the screens and associated resolution while getting better are still not there.
I use Asus TF101/32 +32MicroSD and find with two different players I can play almost all my vids. WMV and some of the odder/older codecs are most problematic. What I like is Battery life.
Samsung offers good products, but their Firmware and update support are not the best. You can be orphaned with a fairly new product.

But that is my experience.
BTW: I use an Archos 5/500 and an Archos 5/32 with a 32Gb MicroSD for my pocket players. Although old and a bit limited. I still find them extremely handy. This is in addition for my ASUS TF101/32

DavidA72

Apr 26, 2012
In the end I went for a cheap tablet that fulfils all but my first point. It was only £89.

[h=1]Storage Options Scroll Excel Android 4.0[/h]
Mfr#: [h=3]54585[/h]

Excel is a portable, capacitive touch-screen Android™ 4.0 tablet made especially for internet browsing, social networking, games, videos and an almost limitless number of other applications.Equipped with the latest, powerful hardware and an intuitive, capacitve touch-screen, Scroll Excel is a highly capable tablet. A Cortex A8 1.2GHz CPU and 512MB RAM ensures Scroll Excel can handle everything that is asked of it, including Flash content for a richer online experience.Scroll Excel's party-piece is its ability to output 3D content to your 3D TV or monitor. This means 3D content can be downloaded to your Scroll Excel and played back on your big screen (via a mini highspeed HDMI cable) without the need for a separate playback device. Scroll Excel can also output standard 1080p HD content in the same manner.Features and Benefits
  • Android™ 4.0 Tablet
  • Intuitive, Capacitive Touch-Screen
  • Limitless Possibilities Web, Games, E-Books, Video & More
  • Fast Hardware Cortex A8 1.2GHz CPU, 512MB RAM
  • Flash Support For a Richer Online Experience
  • Plays 1080p HD and 3D Content on Your TV or Monitor*
  • Apps - 7digital, SlideME Market Place and WildTangent
*1080p HD and 3D output require a compatible TV or Monitor and a high-speed HDMI cable (available separately).Software
  • Android™ 4.0
Hardware
  • Processor: Cortex A8 1.2GHz
  • Display: 7.0" 16:9 (Screen Resolution) 800 x 480 Capacitive
Multi-touch Screen
  • Memory: 512MB DDR3 RAM
  • Internal Memory: 8GB Memory Built-in, Micro SD Card Expandable Up to 32GB
  • Battery: 4200mAh Li-Polymer Rechargeable Battery
  • Camera: Built-in, 0.3 Megapixel
  • G-Sensor: 16 bit G-sensor, Monitors / Rotates Screen Through 360°
  • Speakers: 1W / 8O Quality Speaker Built-in
  • Headphones: 3.5mm Earphone Jack
Connectivity
  • Wireless Networking: Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
  • TV Output: Mini HDMI Socket
  • Mini USB Host Port: For Peripheral Connection (e.g. Keyboard, Flash Drive)
  • Power: 5V DC
Multimedia
  • Video Support: Full 1080p MPEG2, MPEG4, AVS, H.264, WMV, AVI, MP4, RMVB, FLV, MKV
  • E-Book Support: EPUB, TXT, HTM, HTML, FB2
Features
  • Music, Photos, Movies, E-mail, 3D Games, 1080P 3D Video Output!
Case
  • Plastic
Dimensions
  • 195mm x 120mm x 12mm

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Hi, the thing with most android tabs is thryre expandable. Only the expensive ones have large built in memory but for most peoples needs what you have is fine, you can use spare sd cards for movies storge & what never seems to get mentioned is tht you can use usb port for extra memory too. I'm not sure of size limits here. Some can copewith ext hdd while a 32gb flash/pen drive or even an sd card in a card reader should be plenty.

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet