HELP with dead Coby 9740

jerryferreira

Jun 15, 2013
I'll try to make this short.

I rooted my MID9740 a couple of months ago. All went fine. Installed many apps from Google Play.
Some apps that I wanted wouldn't show up in Google Play because Google Play said they're incompatible with my device, but I sideloaded some of them and they worked ok.
Some I couldn't sideload so I wanted to change settings for my device.
I read this thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...et-s-settle-google-play-compatible-issue.html
I went to replace the framework-res.apk with an edited one.
I deleted the file framework-res.apk from \system\framework
When I tried to put the edited framework-res.apk, the system starting going haywire. All apps were crashing, even my file manager.
I had to reboot.
Now all I get is when I turn on the tablet is the Coby logo. The screen comes on, but is totally blank.
I've tried to get into recovery mode, but it's just the same as turning it on, so I can't even get it to factory default.

What can I do (besides using it as a paperweight)?

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
If you have made a system dump then restore it.
If you say you've sideloaded then You have CWM recovery right?.
If you have a backup before you deleted your framework-res.apk then restore it.
If you have ADB setup and running, you have hope! That's if USB Debugging was ON before this happened!.
If you have luck you can get into CWM recovery with hardkeys!.

Wish you luck.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Your bootlooping was caused by deleting framework-res.apk.The Google Earth link in my signature leads to a thread describing how to properly replace the file, and deleting the original file isn't one of the steps in the process. Restore from your system dump, then read the aforementioned thread.

Last edited:

jerryferreira

Jun 15, 2013
Hi Ricky405jr,

I don't have a system dump.
I don't have CWM
I have a Titanium Backup of the system and data, but I can't restore without an up-and-running tablet.
I do have ADB, but it's not recognizing the tablet. I don't think USB debugging was on.

jerryferreira

Jun 15, 2013
I was afraid to place the framework-res.apk into the \system folder so that I could change permissions because the instructions said that it would cause bootlooping. My mistake.

Is there anyway to get access to the \system\framework folder with my android in the state that it's in now?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Without a system dump or CWM you're screwed. I'm curious though why you didn't make a system dump when specifically told to, and why you did not install CWM?

Copying framework-res.apk to /system doesn't cause issues. It's copying to /system/framework without setting the copy's permissions first that causes bootloops. In your case however you deleted the file, which has the same effect as copying to /system/framework without settinv permissions.

Last edited:

jerryferreira

Jun 15, 2013
Good news, then bad news!

I used ADB to gain access to my tablet. I was able to move the framework-res.apk file from the /system folder to /system/framework folder. The tablet started as normal, except I kept getting errors like: "Google Keyboard has stopped working", "Google Services has stopped working", among other. Tried to do a restore from the backup I made with Titanium. It kept crashing.

So, I figured that since I don't have any important personal information on the sdcard, I would do a factory reset. Went to Settings, Backup and Restore, Factory Reset (if I remember correctly). I got to recovery mode with the Android with triangle. I selected Wipe data/factory reset.

Here's the bad news: It boots---I get the Coby logo, then the android "logo", but it's stuck there.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Well at this point, you could search ebay for a Coby 9740 that has a cracked screen or for parts, and use your parts to fix it if you want.