Hi. I'm dogtracker and I'm confused!

dogtracker

Dec 4, 2011
I don't have a tablet yet. Didn't even know where to start looking at what would be the best one. My son told me to look at Android. He's got some kind of phone he uses and loves it.
Anyway, what I want is a little different and if there is anyone out there that can help, I'd be soooo happy.
I want a tablet that goes online at wi-fi spots like the library and mcdonalds. One that can take pictures altho that's not top priority. One that does email and can download books if I want. It enlarges the screen by using touch (I think all tablets do that?). One that can read a reg. SD card and here's the kicker. I'd like one that would be able to have a 56K USB modem connected to go on dialup Internet.
Like I said the kicker is the hardest. Does anyone know if there's a tablet out there that does this? I have to use a little USB modem for my Toshiba laptop. I only have dialup out here in the country and if I could get a way to connect both ways, a tablet would really be handy.
Please, what do you guys think?
D

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi D, welcome to Android Tablets. Glad you decided to become a member of the forum. I'm going to move your thread out to the Android Tablet Discussions area of the forum to see if someone can come up with something that will work for you. Good luck!

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hi D,

You certainly came to the right place for the answers to those questions, i did a quick search and if you're talking about using a like 3g or 4g cell phone then yes it is possible to tether to one as they call it. If you're meaning regular connecting to dial up from like a phone line itself I don't know, they do make USB modems, I got one for my mother since she's in the country and has nothing available to her BUT dial up. However I think drivers for the modem would be a problem. Though I wouldn't write it off as impossible until someone else with more knowledge comes by and sees this and remarks that it's not possible. ;) Welcome to the board D! Hopefully you can get the information you're seeking. I can tell you that NOT all tablets do the multi-touch, so definitely do some research into the models you're looking at. Did you need 7" or looking for 10" and what is your budget? I am most likely going to spend $220 on the Coby MID1125 in a month or so, out of my research it's the model that has the features my husband is looking for in a tablet, but that's a cheap price tag for a 10" tablet, they make nicer ones with dual core processors and 1 GB of RAM like the Toshiba Thrive, that was one I was looking at for awhile but the $400 price tag is just a bit too steep, if they come down a bit after Christmas maybe. ;)

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
Hi and welcome to the forum! Now on to your question. There are bluetooth 56K modems on the market. Do some research. I have a Asus Transformer and it is bluetooth capable. I have had no problems getting bluetooth devices to work such as headsets and speakers. Plus, it does everything else you are looking for. The transformer is a 10" tablet with good abilities. But at 400.00 it may be more then your looking to spend

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Aha! Bluetooth! I didn't even think of that Weebee, good call, I bet that would work well for D's needs. Thanks for posting that tidbit, and a warm welcome to the board to you too. :D

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
I don't have a tablet yet. Didn't even know where to start looking at what would be the best one. My son told me to look at Android. He's got some kind of phone he uses and loves it.
Anyway, what I want is a little different and if there is anyone out there that can help, I'd be soooo happy.
I want a tablet that goes online at wi-fi spots like the library and mcdonalds. One that can take pictures altho that's not top priority. One that does email and can download books if I want. It enlarges the screen by using touch (I think all tablets do that?). One that can read a reg. SD card and here's the kicker. I'd like one that would be able to have a 56K USB modem connected to go on dialup Internet.
Like I said the kicker is the hardest. Does anyone know if there's a tablet out there that does this? I have to use a little USB modem for my Toshiba laptop. I only have dialup out here in the country and if I could get a way to connect both ways, a tablet would really be handy.
Please, what do you guys think?
D

Hi dogtracker, welcome to the forum. Maybe you can have a look at our: Android Tablet PC.
you may find something of your interest there, and for a tablet for your son, i think the Zenithink C71 will be a good choice. hope that's what you want!
PS: Pls click the products link with underline to see more detail information. wish you enjoy the online tablet buying!:)

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
Hi and welcome to the forum! Now on to your question. There are bluetooth 56K modems on the market. Do some research. I have a Asus Transformer and it is bluetooth capable. I have had no problems getting bluetooth devices to work such as headsets and speakers. Plus, it does everything else you are looking for. The transformer is a 10" tablet with good abilities. But at 400.00 it may be more then your looking to spend

No problem! And thanks for the welcome!

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
As far as tablets go, I would recommend a screen that is capacitive instead of resistive. Capacitive screens are more sensitive and responds better. Especially if you, or your kids, plan to play games on it. If it is just reading and web browsing then either screen will do. The Zenithink C71 looks pretty good, actually I might just get one. Like I need it.......8)