Hi new to site

unix1adm

May 20, 2011
Hi All,

I am new to this site. But not new to android. I have an HTC Incredible phone for over a year now and love it. I just bought a the Acer Iconia A500 and have some questions about it.

I have been googling the heck out of it, thats how I found this site.
First of all I like the device very much. Build in gps etc.

I have a few questions:
1. Why can't I charge it off the usb off my laptop or off my cell phone charge for my Droid phone i use in the car?
2. How do I transfer data from the usb device to the tablet?
Everything I tried says access denied
3. How can I get this to work with a Linux laptop. Centos or Ubuntu? I am not a windows fan. :p I will not mount and I tried a few things and it says the device is not available when it tries to mount.
4. Can this be tethered to my android phone to use the internet? This last one is very important to me.

I will continue my searches and post back what I find. But if someone else has any info that would be great.

Thank you

CJ

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
First off, welcome to the site!

1. The Iconia does not have the usb port hooked up to the battery
2. I think that you need root
3. Again, you may need to root
4. Yes, you can tether, turn wifi-access on on your phone and it will find it as a wifi hotspot

I hope I have helped and have a great time in the forums!

unix1adm

May 20, 2011
Thank you.

I do have root but still cannot get the tablet to mount as a drive correctly.
Bummer about the charging. I wonder why they did that? Do they think people wont use the gps in a car or watch movies etc?
Looks like I am getting a power inverter.

My usb drive wont mount either. From what I am reading I guess I need an app for that. Does not mount like a drive on a desktop.

I have wifi enabled on my phone but the tablet does not see it. My phone only sees the local networks (all secured)

I am guessing there is something more I need to do. I do not have the hotspot enabled because it costs money. and it is not unlimited like the phone it.
I need to be able to use the usb to tether to the phone.

From what I am reading it not as simple as connecting it to my Linux laptop was and writing a script to access it.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
The issue with USB charging is that in almost all instances USB cannot supply the necessary amount of current to properly charge high capacity batteries for tablets. They simply are too big.

this response will probably restart the whole discussion about whether or not you can do this, etc., etc., but physics is physics. Yes, there are VERY ugly hacks you can do to custom build a cable capable of delivering enough juice, but this is not particularly good for the device.

unix1adm

May 20, 2011
do they make a charge for the power port on the unit that plugs into a car? I have not see one in my google searches. I really dont care what port it uses just that I can have power from the car to it on long trips.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
Buy an ac to dc converter. It plugs into the accessory outlet and gives you wall plugs.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk! Eat that Apple!

unix1adm

May 20, 2011
yes i have one of those but its bulky and expensive to lug between cars. Not to mention forgetting it ;) I was hoping for a smaller cheaper solution so I could get a couple of them. One for each car.