Honeycomb File Explorer

Mollusk

Jun 5, 2011
Hi everyone !

I'm here because I can't seem to find a "decent" file explorer for Honeycomb. There are a few now that are "optimized" for Android 3.0, and use the ActionBar, but most just seem to be extensions of the Android 2.X versions, using the extra space to show more files.

I was thinking of releasing a custom file explorer, made exclusively for Android 3.X, that would offer functionalities developed specifically for Honeycomb. I'd like to take ideas from desktop file explorers to build this app. For example, this app could include different view modes, including an OSX-like multi-pane view (each subfolder opens in a new column), which I find very intuitive and adapted to tablets in landscape mode.

This app would be free with apps (and eventually a paid version to remove apps). So here's the main question : what would be, for you guys, the most important features for a Honeycomb File Explorer ? (ie, any core feature that a file explorer MUST have, and any feature that would be nice to have for Honeycomb tablets).

I hope to have a testable version to release soon for beta-testers, so if anyone is interested, please tell me.

Thanks for your advice !

Mollusk

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
Scalable thumbnails (think Windows Explorer, with different size views from detail list to small, medium and large thumbnails).

zoubidou

Jun 2, 2011
Don't mind betatesting. Having rooted iconia a500

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

dragon37

May 14, 2011
Have you tried File Manager HD? It seems to be able to do every thing I would expect a file manager to do.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Mollusk

Jun 5, 2011
Scalable thumbnails (think Windows Explorer, with different size views from detail list to small, medium and large thumbnails).
Thanks, great idea :) I had planned it differently, but I do like how it works on Windows 7

Don't mind betatesting. Having rooted iconia a500
Cool :)

Have you tried File Manager HD? It seems to be able to do every thing I would expect a file manager to do.
I had checked the screenshots and it didn't seem quite like I wanted... so I gave it a try, and the main "issues" I see are the following :
- Only has list and grid views (I'd like to add at least TreeView and resizable multi-pane view)
- It's missing drag n drop to add items to the left menu or to move them to a different folder
- ePub files aren't recognized correctly (same problem with every single file explorer) : the mimetype isn't present, so when you try to open it, it doesn't offer the correct list of ePub readers (Aldiko, Mantano Reader, etc.)
- Doesn't have zip contents preview (ES File Explorer seems to have it, though it's not very Honeycomb-ish)

Other than that, I like how they organized the ActionBar, and the ad in the bottom left corner seems to be just the right size :) Their storage analysis function is nice, but very slow, and I had a few ideas to do a really powerful one (though I had initially planned to do it as a seperate free apps, and I'm not quite sure if people actually use those kinds of tools on Android...)
Overall, it's pretty much like the other apps I'm tested : nice and simple, but there's room for improvement.