How bad is it?

kmq

Sep 15, 2010
So I just ordered one.
Since I only paid like $100 with shipping I don't really have big expectation.
I'm mostly interested in reading ebooks, www and checking out new apps.
No movies, music or 3d games.
I've read that VIA processors are crappy, but for my usage - would it be enough? :confused:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
So I just ordered one.
Since I only paid like $100 with shipping I don't really have big expectation.
I'm mostly interested in reading ebooks, www and checking out new apps.
No movies, music or 3d games.
I've read that VIA processors are crappy, but for my usage - would it be enough? :confused:

After you get you root it using one of the ROMs here.
Rooted ROM will make it go a bit quicker
Grab the Powertools these tools will help tweak the unit so it saves on the battery, frees up memory an etc.

You can use Kindle app to read books
Browse on the internet
Download apps that support Android OS v1.6
Play Music
Play FM Radio
No gaming though unless it can work on Android OS v1.6
No 3D gaming
Can watch Youtube videos but only through the Youtube Player for Android OS v1.6 included.

kmq

Sep 15, 2010
To be honest after reading all post about bricked tablets I'm bit reluctant to try it myself - at least at first. I don't want to break it the first day LOL
So without any modification, how would reading ebooks and browsing the web look like i.e. would I have choppy scrolling on heavy websites, crashing of apps etc?

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
To be honest after reading all post about bricked tablets I'm bit reluctant to try it myself - at least at first. I don't want to break it the first day LOL
So without any modification, how would reading ebooks and browsing the web look like i.e. would I have choppy scrolling on heavy websites, crashing of apps etc?

No issues at all. If it feels slow. Then you might want too apply one of the rooted roms when you feel up to it.

kmq

Sep 15, 2010
OK, thanks
Now, let's see if I don't get a broken, unusable "paper weight" :eek:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
NoT hard, you need to buy a microSDHC card
All you do is put the script folder on that in the root
Then you connect AC to the device
Turn it on an just sit back and let it do it's thing
Once done it will tell you to remove the SDCard
Your done
Rooted and ROM

kmq

Sep 15, 2010
I know technically it's not THAT hard but you know that with those cheap knockoffs you only need to breath too hard and it's already broken... :)

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
59546_434994412948_579882948_5219677_2715691_n.jpg

58926_434994382948_579882948_5219676_7986642_n.jpg

The above were taken today. First is the new background Build 1.9.1 Rooted with Powertools selected desktop Home++
Second is WiFi Analyzer in PowerTools Plus still see all the Powertools being active on the task bar above.

MrHabaki

Oct 25, 2010
And... how do you feel now with your flytouch? I like it a lot! It's interesting to find out which games will work and which not... Video playback, browsing the web and social networks work pretty well!

How can I use FM- Radio with it?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
And...

Are you asking FM reciever or transmitter. I do not know of any units with integral FM receivers. You can load various Internet Radio Apps though. There are some Tablet boards which had the design for FM transmitter. but have not seen any with it installed. Likely it is too much of a bite into the profit of the unit/manufacturing cost.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I use Pandora with it see this video below by me..

You can watch videos on it after applying my techniques. Another video is coming up shortly showing how well it plays videos.

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonfire

Oct 18, 2010
And... how do you feel now with your flytouch? I like it a lot! It's interesting to find out which games will work and which not... Video playback, browsing the web and social networks work pretty well!

one of the best apps for Radio which I use is Tunein Radio (free in the market). allows search by type, region, presets, and even has a local listing feature.

MrHabaki

Oct 25, 2010
Thanks, I will try Tunein Radio, sounds good! I really was wondering about FM radio by hardware, but now I see ;)

kmq

Sep 15, 2010
And... how do you feel now with your flytouch?
Well, while I shouldn't be whining about <$100 tablet but... like they say: with Flytouch you get what you pay for.
With original firmware it was so slow and choppy that it was barely usable. Custom firmware made it a bit better but still when you scroll it either not responding or scroll too far. Frustrating! Mostly use for ebooks (tap to turn page)
Also WIFI works maybe half the time.
So if you have very low expectations or cant afford anything more expensive it's ok I guess but it's a horrible gift for someone who for example saw iPad and wants something similar. They will be very disappointed.