How bricked is it? (Memup Slidepad 800 (Coby Kyros 7024)

OopsyNewbie

Oct 15, 2012
Hi guys! This is my 1st post...
So here it goes:

I have a Memup Slidepad 800 (quite similar to the Coby Kyros 7024) that seems is bricked.

I was upgrading the firmware from Alldro 1.3 (working ok) to Alldro 1.4 but it seems that I've done too many things at the same time and now cannot diagnose the thing by myself.

I also wanted to change the internal microSD card, so I've opened the tablet and inserted the card I was using as an external one in place of the internal one.

The original internal card has not been touched, it still has the previously working Alldro 1.3, so it should boot the tablet, but it doesn't.

I think I have damaged the external card reader's slot while I was opening the tablet, because the cards do not click in and stay in place, and it's harder to hold the card in. Since I have no working OS, I have no chance to check if the card stays in place to make all the electrical contacts' connections.
I also think that the external card reader isn't working because I have used more than one card with the firmware update and the tablet isn't being able to find updates.

So here's what I've done:

- Opened the tablet
- Removed the 8GB internal card and kept it safely
- Inserted the 8GB card I used as external into the internal slot
- Decompressed the new firmware into a 1GB card's root
- Modified the ROM.inf file on SIZE_DATA to create a 512MB partition instead of a 1.5GB.
- Upgraded the firmware. It went apparently OK but after this the tablet didn't restart properly ever again.

Symptoms:

- When I turn the tablet on, I see the Kyro' logo for a few seconds. Then the screen flashes black for an instant and comes back on still with the Kyros' logo. After a few seconds, the speakers make a small pop, and after some few more seconds, the tablet turns itself off.

- The very same thing happens when I use the card that was initially in the tablet, with the OS working.

- When I try to upgrade (pressing the power + the circular buttons) with an external card containing a decompressed CFW to it's root, I get the messages:

Upgrade System Activated written in cyan, on top of the Kyros' logo, and then

===================
Can not find any update image.
Press MENU/KEY_VOLUMEUP key to init SD card,Press BACK/KEY_VOLUMEDOWN key to cancel!

I've tried other CFWs on the card, and even on a 8GB card, but I still get the same thing. (here I assume the card reader isn't detecting the card)

Questions:

1) When copy the CFW to the external card to upgrade, you extract all the files to the card's root, right?

2) Could the 1GB card have done it? (because I've read that using cards with less than 2GB can get things wrong)

3) Could the modification of the ROM.inf file to 512MB have done it?

4) How bricked is the tablet?

5) How can I unbrick the tablet?
Since I'm a newbie, I'd appreciate explicit step-by-step instructions, please!

Thanks for your help, folks!
Bruno

OopsyNewbie

Oct 15, 2012
Ok, status update:

For everything that matters, it's written on the board MOD8024_V05.

I managed to get the tablet working back again and update it to Alldro 1.4 and working, but it soon died due to other hardware things (more ahead). This thing is just not to be open by someone who really knows what he's doing.

There was definitely something with the card reader and I've managed to fix it, but to do this I had to unscrew the board off to manipulate it. I also had to remove the touchpad cable and the LCD cable (the large orange flat cable with some micro components on it).

After putting everything back again, I've used a 8GB with the Alldro 1.4 CFW and everything went ok, it upgraded and booted.

But when I tried to close the tablet, I've noticed 2 things:

1 - The 4 touch keys on the side of the tablet (search, back, menu and back) and their lights aren't working.

2 - When I turned the tablet on, the screen would go all white for a few seconds, then flash black for about 1 second and then turn grey (or the brightness is not at 100%) and stays that way until I press the reset button.

I -think- what's causing this might be the LCD cable having a bad contact. I've managed to get the tablet working back again a couple of times but when I put the front of the tablet on top of it's back cover, it wouldn't boot again.
Of everything on the board, this cable is the only piece that rises high against the back cover.

I've checked the LCD cable and it has a really bad slot, as the cable seems to be too thin for it and make a really loose connection.
I've used several layers of duct tape on the back of the cable (where there are no electrical contacts) to give it more volume to fit tightly on it's socket, but the tablet wouldn't boot anyway.

So, here are my actual doubts, this time related with hardware:

1 - Could this unbootable state be due to a bad connection on this orange large flat cable with some micro components on it? (supposedly the LCD cable)

2 - What might be responsible for the 4 touch keys (and their lights) to stop working? Any cable?

3 - Again, any idea on how to unbrick the tablet?

Once more, thanks for any help!
Bruno