How do you change language of start up screen on Tabet

cgardinier

Sep 26, 2012
I have a new PD20 that came with a Chinese start up program. I presume this is the android OS start up screen that displays while it loads. It is in Chinese and I don't speak or read Chinese. Does anyone know how to change it to English? I thought about overlaying the original OS with an English version, but can't figure out how to do it and the seller doesn't seem to be interested in helping me out. I have a 4.0.3 version of android installed. Are there any proven ways available to do this or am I just stuck with what I have?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi cgardinier, congratulations on your new FreeLander tablet and welcome to the forum. I'm moving your thread to the Android Tablet Q&A section for you, where more people are likely to join the discussion and try to help you get that tablet changed over to English. Good luck!

D

Dawnstar

I have a new PD20 that came with a Chinese start up program. I presume this is the android OS start up screen that displays while it loads. It is in Chinese and I don't speak or read Chinese. Does anyone know how to change it to English? I thought about overlaying the original OS with an English version, but can't figure out how to do it and the seller doesn't seem to be interested in helping me out. I have a 4.0.3 version of android installed. Are there any proven ways available to do this or am I just stuck with what I have?

I have a Chinese logo startup with the Cube. Also i have Jellybean English ver, so i don't mind about the startup as long as it works, if you want to install another OS say like Jellybean [English version]

Here is the Batchtool_1.5 it might work with yours.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/106697397/Rockchip_Batch_Tool_v1.5.zip

Then you have to find the JB 1.0.4 and the JB 1.0.6 update I can give them to you but it might not work ;)

This guide is only for the RockChip Dualcore. but it will show you how to install another OS.

Run the RKBatchTool.exe in the extracted Flash tool folderand select the image you downloaded from Cube

1. Shut down your tablet
2. Plug the USB cable into your tablet and into your PC/laptop
3. Now pressing the power and volume + buttons together
4 Once Windows have notices a new device release the 2 buttons

5. When asked for drivers browse to the “drivers” folder within the extracted batch tool folder and select it allowing windows to install the driver. If you aren't asked for drivers and you get a device install failure go to Device Manager and look for Unknown Device. Right click on this and select update drivers. Browse to the folder within the RKBatchToolfolder with the drivers for your OS (Win 7 64 bit in my case) and select this folder.

6. If all ok the "device 1 connected" squarewithin the RKBatchTool_1.5 will change from grey to green

7. Press the “upgrade” button in RKBatchTool_1.5
8. The green square should change to orange showing that theflash operations happening
9. If all ok you should get a success message at the end (takes about 3minutes)
10. The tablet should reboot but if it does not then pressthe power button
11. The first boot after an upgrade takes much longer than anormal boot. Just be patient and wait for the lock screen.

12. The default language will be Chinese. When you get aprompt hit the home button and then go to settings and look for the menu option with a letter A white box (This is language). Select this and then the top option on the right hand side of the screen. This will give you a list of languages. Select English (UK) or whateverand then restart the tablet.

Done

Last edited by a moderator:

cgardinier

Sep 26, 2012
I have a Chinese logo startup with the Cube. Also i have Jellybean English ver, so i don't mind about the startup as long as it works, if you want to install another OS say like Jellybean [English version]

Then you have to find the JB 1.0.4 and the JB 1.0.6 update I can give them to you but it might not work ;)

This guide is only for the RockChip Dualcore. but it will show you how to install another OS.

Run the RKBatchTool.exe in the extracted Flash tool folderand select the image you downloaded from Cube

1. Shut down your tablet

5. When asked for drivers browse to the “drivers” folder within the extracted batch tool folder and select it allowing windows to install the driver. If you aren't asked for drivers and you get a device install failure go to Device Manager and look for Unknown Device. Right click on this and select update drivers. Browse to the folder within the RKBatchToolfolder with the drivers for your OS (Win 7 64 bit in my case) and select this folder.

6. If all ok the "device 1 connected" squarewithin the RKBatchTool_1.5 will change from grey to green

8. The green square should change to orange showing that theflash operations happening
11. The first boot after an upgrade takes much longer than anormal boot. Just be patient and wait for the lock screen.

12. The default language will be Chinese. When you get aprompt hit the home button and then go to settings and look for the menu option with a letter A white box (This is language). Select this and then the top option on the right hand side of the screen. This will give you a list of languages. Select English (UK) or whateverand then restart the tablet.

Done

Now I have to find out how to reply.

cgardinier

Sep 26, 2012
I guess this is where the reply goes. I'll give your procedure a try; it looks a bit daunting with your disclaimers.

Ailin

Sep 20, 2012

1. Shut down your tablet

Done
Great instruction.Know more.

genterminl

Aug 29, 2012
cgardinier - If I understand your question, the startup screen in Chinese is just a static boot logo, not any important text. Updating to a new ROM might give you an English boot screen, but does it really matter? I also have a PD20 and have been trying to change the boot logo, so far unsuccessfully. At some point, I suppose I'll give up and perhaps try following Dawnstar's instructions.

Dawnstar - you say the instructions are for RockChip dual core. My PD20 is TeleChips (I don't have exact model handy) - is the difference in the instructions or in the zip file needed? If the latter, how do we go about finding an appropriate file for the Freelander?