How do you remove imbedded apps

jacatone

Aug 27, 2010
One thing I've always disliked about Linux is all those installed apps that you'll never use. I don't need Facebook or Fruit Ninja. When I tried removing them using "ApkInstaller/Manage/Uninstall", I get "Uninstall unsuccessful". Is there a way to remove this stuff without braking the os? I'm using Android v4.1.1. Thanks.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Just to be clear here, the device manufacturers are the ones who include the extra apps, not Google. Your "hate" is somewhat misdirected because of it. In any event, root the device. Then you can remove the apps in /system/app.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
One thing I've always disliked about Linux is all those installed apps that you'll never use. I don't need Facebook or Fruit Ninja.

Linux?! I've used RedHat, CentOS, Ubuntu, etc. and I don't see much bloatware. You do get some standard desktop apps if you install the Gnome Desktop Environment (GDE), or KDE, with Linux.

With pure Android (a linux variant ? ) from Google, there isn't much, if any, bloatware. Check out a new Nexus 7 tablet.
Once that Android goes through Samsung, Motorola, etc. you get some device manufacturer bloatware. Now if that device further goes through Verizon, AT&T, etc. there will be more carrier bloatware.

Likewise for Windows. Once it goes through Lenovo, HP, etc, you will get additional vendor bloatware.

They all make it a little difficult to remove their bloatware, but it can be ignored and its not too bad most of the time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I have no idea. I don't know what device you have. In general however, the rooting methods differ with each device. Once rooted however, installing a file manager with root support and navigating to /system/app will show you what apps are installed. From there it's selecting the files you want to delete and deleting them.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
If rooted, I'd use something like Titanium Backup and freeze un-needed apps, instead of deleting them. Deleting bloatware sometimes poses problems when one tries to do a vendor/carrier supplied update to the device.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk