How: Install alternate keyboard

OldDogEyes

Mar 4, 2011
I would like to install a replacement keyboard from Android Market. I can download it and it says that it installed but it doesn't show up as an option in Nook Color Tools / Keyboard...

And the text there says that the APK file has to be put in /system/app but I don't know where to find the APK file for the keyboard that I downloaded.... any tips?

Thanks
Doug

Last edited:

16thkilla

Mar 1, 2011
I would like to install a replacement keyboard from Android Market. I can download it and it says that it installed but it doesn't show up as an option in Nook Color Tools / Keyboard...

And the text there says that the APK file has to be put in /system/app but I don't know where to find the APK file for the keyboard that I downloaded.... any tips?

Thanks
Doug

sent from my rooted Nookie.

You can go to 4shared.com and download the app for free just have to enter what ever your looking for and type (example: whatever.apk) once it downloads on your rooted nook , go to nook tools>development and make sure debugging is checked. And once you open tools make sure the first box up top is checked. When all that is complete go to your file manager ie astro file manager....go to the folder marked "download" and run the apk file you downloaded. It should install though market. And there you go.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Support the Developers:) It is always good to buy paid apps from the android market, and not look for kanged free versions on the internet. This is to ensure you have the correct apk and that future development of the OS and app is supported. Astro and Root Explorer are good tools. Root Explorer is needed to push system apps in r/w, but this can screw things up sometimes. Alternate keyboards don't always work on 2.1 rooted NCs

OldDogEyes

Mar 4, 2011
Support the Developers:) It is always good to buy paid apps from the android market, and not look for kanged free versions on the internet. This is to ensure you have the correct apk and that future development of the OS and app is supported. Astro and Root Explorer are good tools. Root Explorer is needed to push system apps in r/w, but this can screw things up sometimes. Alternate keyboards don't always work on 2.1 rooted NCs

I agree with you. I've purchased the app (keyboard) and use it successfully on my non-rooted HTC Evo. But when I download it via Android Market on my rooted NC, it says that it installed. But when I go to select a keyboard in NC Tools, it's not there. And there is a message on that screen that indicates for me to be able to use an alternate keyboard that I have to copy said APK file into the /system/apps folder. That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do...

Thanks...

OldDogEyes

Mar 4, 2011
Ok, I am making some progress with this but still have a question... After I made my last post I went back to NookDevs portal and looked at the "Keyboard Replacement with this method" under NookColor Stock / Upgrades which take you here: NookColor Replace the Default Keyboard

I then scrolled down to this: Install KB without working ADB: "If you have a copy of Root Explorer (which I do), you can use it to move your KB apk files from /data/app to /system/app..."

In my case I'm wanting to install the Smart Keyboard Pro from Dexilog LLC [Trial Version Here] which is an awesome keyboard replacement that allows you to make macro's, and do all sorts of cool things that are useful on a phone/pad.

I was able to move the APK file into the /system/apps folder and after a reboot of the NC, Smart Keyboard Pro now shows up in NookColor Tools... So the instructions worked great...

But I have a question...

According to the Developer's website, I have to install a 2nd file called "English for Smart Keyboard" to get full functionality:
"IMPORTANT NOTICE ! Since version 3.6.0, the English dictionary is now a separate app ("English for Smart Keyboard" on the Android Market) for several reasons. You need to install it to get English suggestions and auto-correction to work."
Before I moved it, the apk for the Pro version was here:
/data/app/net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardpro.apk
Now that I've moved it, the apk for the Pro version is living here:
/system/app/net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardpro.apk
The apk for the "English for Smart Keyboard" is in it's original location as I haven't moved it:
/data/app/net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardpro.en.apk
My question is should I leave the 2nd file in it's original location or should it also be moved to /system/app folder also?

If anyone can let me know, I'd be really appreciative! I did email the developer but it often takes him a day or two to respond.

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
I'm attempting to move Thumb Keyboard to /system/app but I get an error message saying the directory is Read-Only. Is there any way around this without installing a custom ROM?

I tried searching on this site but didn't find anything.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Honestly, it sounds like it'd be easier just to install a ROM where it just works.. I did, then I downloaded SlideIT.. No wrangling, no work arounds, it just works. The custom ROM thing is pretty easy compared to all that mess..

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
Honestly, it sounds like it'd be easier just to install a ROM where it just works.. I did, then I downloaded SlideIT.. No wrangling, no work arounds, it just works. The custom ROM thing is pretty easy compared to all that mess..

If I've read correctly (which I may not have) if I install a ROM I won't be able to use the Nook as a Nook. I like having the ability to switch between LauncherPro and the default Launcher.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If I've read correctly (which I may not have) if I install a ROM I won't be able to use the Nook as a Nook. I like having the ability to switch between LauncherPro and the default Launcher.

That is sort of correct. If you use anything beyond the auto-nooter ROMs you will lose the default B&N capabilities. However, you can download the B&N android app from the market and use that to access your B&N account. If you want to keep the stock B&N functionality you should stay with 2.1 and work on the keyboard issues as you have suggested.

The problem is that for the most part all of the developers have moved on to Froyo and Gingerbread development and there aren't likely to be more custom ROMs built with the B&N stuff anytime soon. Maybe B&N's release of Froyo will help.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
That is sort of correct. If you use anything beyond the auto-nooter ROMs you will lose the default B&N capabilities. However, you can download the B&N android app from the market and use that to access your B&N account. If you want to keep the stock B&N functionality you should stay with 2.1 and work on the keyboard issues as you have suggested.

The problem is that for the most part all of the developers have moved on to Froyo and Gingerbread development and there aren't likely to be more custom ROMs built with the B&N stuff anytime soon. Maybe B&N's release of Froyo will help.

I figured out how to enable copying the Thumb Keyboard APK to the proper directory, but still can't activate it. I'm going to work on this for a while. If I can't get it to work I will look into custom ROMs. Thanks for the input. I do appreciate it.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Sorry I haven't been back to this thread for a while. Yes I have been able to get smart keyboard to work, but cannot get other keyboards like swype (I'm a beta tester) to work on 2.1 stock or 2.2 phiremod. I am on UD now and haven't tried other keyboards because UDs stock Gb one is awesome. Hopefully I can get swype working on this Rom. I think certain keyboards can be finicky with certain Roms.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011

Weighing what you gain vs. what you lose, it's really not even much of a contest for me.

Be aware though, if you do go that route, the Nook app will not read the kid's books.. If those are important to you, stay where you are.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Do magazines not work through the Nook app? I haven't tried.. That'll annoy my wife, cuz she digs the magazines..

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Nope, which is my biggest dislike about the custom ROMs at the moment. It would be nice if you could just install the B&N launcher like any other launcher.