(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
xda Instructions: [ROM][CM7] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards. with updater - xda-developers

CM7 Releases: Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki
(scroll to bottom for google apps)

1. Download generic-sdcard-v1.3 img and unzip thefile.
2. Download update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed zip file (CM7 stable).
3. Download gapps-gb-20110828-signed zip file(latest google apps).
4. Burn the unzipped generic-sdcard image to sd card using Win 32Disk Imager.
(NOTE: you will only see ~115MB of space on the card after doing this. This is correct and normal you are not losing the remaining space on your SD card but it will only be visable once you boot into CM7.)
​4a. Use EaseUS partition manager or another partition manager program to resize the boot partition to 250MB.
5. Copy update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed and gapps-gb-20110828-signedzip files to SD card. *Do not change the file names.*
5a. *Optional* If you want to run an overclock kernel you need to choose and download a compatible kernel for SD (not eMMC).
5b. Move the uImage file from the SD card to your pc as a backup.
5c. Rename the oc kernel you have downloaded uImage copy it to the SD card.
6. Power down Nook and insert SD Card.
7. Power on Nook and wait for CM7 boot program to run.
8. Program will say install finished “It is safe to power off now” but wait until the screen goes blank.
9. Hold power button for 10 seconds to power down Nook.
10. Power up Nook.
11. You will see blue text Android followed by CM7boot screen followed by a choice of com.android.provision.DefaultActivity or Setup Wizard.
12. Choose Setup Wizard.
13. Touch the Android to begin.
14. Choose skip at google account.
15. Choose next use location.
16. Select time zone, check automatic then next.
17. Press the n button.
18. Then Menu>Settings>Wireless & networks>Wi-Fi settings and connect to your network.
19. Once connected use the Back button twice.
20. Choose Accounts & sync from the menu. Add account>Google.
21. Choose next.
22. Sign in with your Google account.
23. Click OK.
24. Select the Google apps to install (recommend Gmail, Google Maps, Google Voice andYouTube). Click OK.
25. Click Accept.
26. Click each selected app to download it.
27. Choose if you want to use backup & restore, click next.
28. Click Finish setup.

You have now completed the major portion of the setup and can run CM7 J

Extra setup -

Menu>Settings>CyogenMod settings>Performance>CPUsettings>Max CPU frequency: 925MHz, Set on boot checked.
Menu>Settings>CyogenMod settings>Tablet tweaks>Choosesoft-buttons: add Home, set others to preference.
Menu>Settings>CyogenMod settings>Tablettweaks>Choose unhide button> Vol+ or Vol-
Menu>Settings>Applications: Check Unknown sources
Menu>Settings>ADWLauncher>Screenpreferences>Desktop Columns: 8

*Note according to micro SD card tests on the XDA forum choosing a card with a high small block Random Write speed (QD32) may result in performance increases in running bootable ROMs from a micro SD card while cards with poor QD32 performance may have issues with speed and force closing. For further information check this thread here xda-developers - View Single Post - SD Strange-results - or - How I learned to love CM7 on SD - Dec-11 results compiled! and the table listing tested QD32 speeds https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjPE3ZAD2eVudE9vZmQ3aHlfTkFvU2J4ZUplRDJQTEE#gid=0.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
First impressions of CM7 stable are great! This really gives you a tablet feeling and very much takes on the feeling of honeycomb in that regard. Runnung a 4GB Class 10 SD card and multitasking/switching tasks is slow but runs great once you are in the apps.

I can see why so many people are happy with CM7 and this is a great way to try it out or have your tablet system and keep autonooter on eMMC for Nook functions.

:)

JP

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
First impressions of CM7 stable are great! This really gives you a tablet feeling and very much takes on the feeling of honeycomb in that regard. Runnung a 4GB Class 10 SD card and multitasking/switching tasks is slow but runs great once you are in the apps.

I can see why so many people are happy with CM7 and this is a great way to try it out or have your tablet system and keep autonooter on eMMC for Nook functions.

:)

JP

I have a 16gb class 6 Transcend coming in the mail soon. I may try to run CM7 from the card and use my autonooter on the emmc. It just all depends on how smooth cm7 runs from the class 6 card though.

nabwong

Apr 18, 2011
Hi,

Stupid noob question. Can I use the remaining space of the SD card to store files/vids/etc? Do I need to partition it first?

Thanks.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Hi,

Stupid noob question. Can I use the remaining space of the SD card to store files/vids/etc? Do I need to partition it first?

Thanks.

No need to partition the "Size Agnostic" CM7 SD rom will leave the rest of the SD available for storage.

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
No need to partition the "Size Agnostic" CM7 SD rom will leave the rest of the SD available for storage.

How do you apply an overclock kernel to a bootable SD? I know CM& runs at 925, but how do we apply the latest updates from dalingren?

edit: nevermind. i found there is a kernel designed specifically for the SD.

should i wipe dalvik cache and cache partition before wiping this? Wouldn't that affect my emmc instead of the sd card setup?

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
should i wipe dalvik cache and cache partition before wiping this? Wouldn't that affect my emmc instead of the sd card setup?

Yes, use the kernels for SD and no, don't wipe anything. Everything is contained on the SD and you are correct that wiping would only wipe eMMC.

JP

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
Yes, use the kernels for SD and no, don't wipe anything. Everything is contained on the SD and you are correct that wiping would only wipe eMMC.

JP

so, once i place the OC.zip onto the root of the bootable SD, how do I "flash" it?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
so, once i place the OC.zip onto the root of the bootable SD, how do I "flash" it?

From the XDA thread, verygreen explains it. I have added the emphasis in bold.

OC Kernel installation instructions:
After you have a running CM7 by doing the steps above.
Get CM7 OC kernel from Dalingrin's thread. Unpack the zip file, the result should be a file with the name "kernel" and some other stuff. Rename the kernel file to uImage.
Shutdown your nook and take the uSD card out (make sure the nook is not plugged into USB bus or it'll boot into eMMC then).
Plug the SD Card into the computer, copy uImage file you just created to the first partition (the partition name would be "boot") instead of the existing file with this name (might want to save the original file just in case).
Now you are ready to go again.
You'll need to repeat these steps every time you upgrade to a new nightly build, because they carry their own kernels with them.

I haven't tried it yet myself and not sure if I will geven that the limiting factor is probably the SD card more than the kernel speed in this case. You might want to run some bench marks before and after and see if you notice a difference.

JP

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
From the XDA thread, verygreen explains it. I have added the emphasis in bold.

OC Kernel installation instructions:
After you have a running CM7 by doing the steps above.
Get CM7 OC kernel from Dalingrin's thread. Unpack the zip file, the result should be a file with the name "kernel" and some other stuff. Rename the kernel file to uImage.
Shutdown your nook and take the uSD card out (make sure the nook is not plugged into USB bus or it'll boot into eMMC then).
Plug the SD Card into the computer, copy uImage file you just created to the first partition (the partition name would be "boot") instead of the existing file with this name (might want to save the original file just in case).
Now you are ready to go again.
You'll need to repeat these steps every time you upgrade to a new nightly build, because they carry their own kernels with them.

I haven't tried it yet myself and not sure if I will geven that the limiting factor is probably the SD card more than the kernel speed in this case. You might want to run some bench marks before and after and see if you notice a difference.

JP

thanks. I should rename it to "uImage" and move it not to the root of the SD, but the "boot" partition (file?). And then take the existing uImage otu and replace it with the new one?

just trying to clarify.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, that is correct. Copy the file uImage currently on the disk to your pc so you have a backup. Then rename the OC kernel uImage and move it to the SD card.

Now in my case (Windows 7) once I have run the boot squence with CM7 Windows won't recognized the SD card and wants to format it. Because of this you can't add anything to the disk and if you reformat it it will wipe out the CM7. This is why I added the instructions to include the google apps before instering the card and booting the first time. So you have 2 options.

1. You can format your card and start from the beginning but replace the uImage file when you are adding the google apps to the disk before removing from your pc and booting.

or

2. You can get a disk utilities tool like EASEUS Partition Manager which will let you access the disk and then replace the file. In this case you will only see the boot partition. Placing the file on this partition and not in any folder is like being in the root of the SD card.

Hope that helps. I'll update the OP to include a note about making the OC kernel change durring the process since going back after seems to be a pain.

JP

Last edited:

bluewhite79

Mar 21, 2011
Yes, that is correct. Copy the file uImage currently on the disk to your pc so you have a backup. Then rename the OC kernel uImage and move it to the SD card.

Now in my case (Windows 7) once I have run the boot squence with CM7 Windows won't recognized the SD card and wants to format it. Because of this you can't add anything to the disk and if you reformat it it will wipe out the CM7. This is why I added the instructions to include the google apps before instering the card and booting the first time. So you have 2 options.

1. You can format your card and start from the beginning but replace the uImage file when you are adding the google apps to the disk before removing from your pc and booting.

or

2. You can get a disk utilities tool like EASEUS Partition Manager which will let you access the disk and then replace the file. In this case you will only see the boot partition. Placing the file on this partition and not in any folder is like being in the root of the SD card.

Hope that helps. I'll update the OP to include a note about making the OC kernel change durring the process since going back after seems to be a pain.

JP

thanks. won't there already be a "uImage" file? you said "copy the uImage currently on the disk to my PC....but don't you mean, MOVE to the PC? In other words, I want the non Overclocked uImage off the SD card, and the newly renamed "uImage" copied into its place.

edit: ok, i see your revised first post.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes, I thought of that too. I do mean move not just copy. Or when you replace the uImage on the SD to replace the file by saving over it.

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
Ok I just came over to the dark side... and boy is it dark in here!!!! 8) Now my learning curve starts all over!!!