how to connect an external cd/dvd drive?

meisha_rose

Jan 21, 2012
Is it possible to connect an external cd/dvd drive to an iconia 500? i connect it and it mounts but then i can acess it? please help?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Have you tried with a file manager, such as ES File Explorer or File Manager HD (both free in the market)?

Some of these need (especially older ones) a motor start command sent from the computer side, and I'm not sure Android does that.
But if you see it spinning, you should be able to view content with a file manager. Don't expect movies to play well from that device.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Is it possible to connect an external cd/dvd drive to an iconia 500? i connect it and it mounts but then i can acess it? please help?
Question: Why would you want to put a cd/dvd onto your tablet?

Much easier putting a USB HDD caddy/case onto it. Something like a WD 1.5 TB USB drive you can buy at OFFICEWORKS!

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Because maybe the files you need are on optical disk? Or maybe you just wanted to see if it would work.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Because maybe the files you need are on optical disk? Or maybe you just wanted to see if it would work.

True but most people have cd/dvd's ripped to a HDD or a USB stick. Can be very slow on cd/dvd's.

I believe Icebike is correct in saying that ANDROID doesn't have support for cd/dvd drives in HC. May have in ICS but I don't know.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Pretty sure this is not supported. Tablets are currently not in the realm of full pc replacement. There are somethings you just can't do.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
You would need drivers for Cd/Dvd, and although it could be done noone has as far as I know. Not that it would be that difficult to port Linux drivers, probably has to do with the fact that android is evolving so rapidly, and optical drives are becoming a thing of the past even in laptops. Streaming and so called cloud based services are the focus these days. Not to mention power requirements of mechanical drives.

Sent from a Gibson using Tapatalk - heavy metal edition

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Pretty sure this is not supported. Tablets are currently not in the realm of full pc replacement. There are somethings you just can't do.
Well...I read in another thread where someone called a A500 a computer. End result was that one of the experienced members wanted to shake their hand and hug them.

This then begs the question: What do you really define a computer as?
I reckon the A500 has more power than a 80386 or even 80486 DX4 100.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
You would need drivers for Cd/Dvd, and although it could be done noone has as far as I know. Not that it would be that difficult to port Linux drivers, probably has to do with the fact that android is evolving so rapidly, and optical drives are becoming a thing of the past even in laptops. Streaming and so called cloud based services are the focus these days. Not to mention power requirements of mechanical drives.

Sent from a Gibson using Tapatalk - heavy metal edition
Even though ANDROID is LINUX but ANDROID is heavily chopped in functionality. Thus far no support. Maybe someone will design an app.