HOW TO: Control your Android Tablet (or Android Phone) from your PC or other Android

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
This has been discussed in the past, but since we have a lot of new users since the last time we posted anything about AND since the software and apps have changed I thought it might be a good idea to revisit this topic.

For anyone out there that might want to either control their tablet or phone from from their PC or control Android Device A from Android Device B, this is the set up for you. Now I take no credit for any of this, I am just pulling it together from a lot of previous posts.

This is all done via a system called VNC, which has two parts. These are a Viewer and a Server. The device you want to connect to must have a VNC Server installed and running, and the device that you want to connect from must have a VNC Viewer.

For the purpose of this HOW TO, I am going to use excidio's excellent writeup that he did last year, this will completely cover getting this set up for PC to Tablet connections (NOTE: This only works for Rooted Devices). Also I personally have this set up using the connection via ADB to the device, I have also gotten it to work when both devices are on the same WiFi connection. I have not had success yet getting this to work via VZWs network, either over 3g or when using to 4g device (Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and HTC Thunderbolt) :

Step 1: Preparing your computer
You will have to be sure that you have a VNC Viewer installed on your computer first. Here’s a quick list of programs that can be used:
  • Linux – Remote Desktop Viewer (However, I use the command line). Remote Desktop Viewer is pre-installed in Ubuntu.
  • Mac – Chicken of the VNC.
  • Windows – RealVNC.
Step 2: Preparing your Android device
  • Scan the QR Code at the top of the page to be directed to the Droid VNC Server page in the Android Market.
  • Open Droid VNC Server and tap Start Server.
  • Suggestion – Connect to a wireless signal that your computer is also using. (I have not yet tested USB & Verizon does not support VNC through 3G)
  • Feel free to modify any of the options in Menu > Settings. (I’d recommend a password)
Step 3: Connect to your Device
  • Open your VNC Viewer of choice and type in the IP:port that you see listed on the Droid VNC Server home screen.
  • Type in your password if needed.
  • You should now see your Android Device!
Some helpful things to know:Some possible incorrect keybindings: (I have a feeling this is an Android thing…)
  • = sends +
  • ! sends ~
  • ~ sends 0
  • < sends *
  • > sends #
These are important to know:
icon_wink.gif
  • home = home
  • right-click = home, also
  • pg up = menu
  • pg down = call
  • pg down long press = redial most recent
  • esc = back
  • del = back, also
  • end = phone sleep
  • type = from the home screen random typing will initiate google search
Here are some instructions for using VNC through USB:I have heard that USB will provide a faster VNC connection. With adb installed and the device plugged in via USB:
adb forward tcp:5901 tcp:5901
adb forward tcp:5801 tcp:5801

Using your preferred VNC Viewer, connect to:
localhost:5901

Here is a link to the original blog post for this article:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@BAM39762 : Reading comprehension failure on your part. Paragraph 4, sentence 1 of the post reads as follows.

For the purpose of this HOW TO, I am going to use excidio's excellent writeup that he did last year, this will completely cover getting this set up for PC to Tablet connections (NOTE: This only works for Rooted Devices).