HOW TO FIX : Tablet will not turn on or boot after splash

Aug 10, 2010

Original Post on another forum:

Hey guys,

After having no issue for the last month or so using CWM, tonight I booted into CWM as normal and then screen went blank.

I mean really blank, can't turn it off or on. Would a simple unplug of the battery and replug do the job or do I need to break out the JTAG setup? If JTAG is needed, does anyone know where that is on the board?

I did recently NVFlash from 1.1 to 1.2 so any advice on how to get this running again is invaluable as this tablet has info on it that I need to pull off. The only thing I can think of is if something in the recovery file got trashed and when it booted, it killed it.

Thanks in advance.

HOW TO:

Open up the Gtablet using an iPod pry tool or flat screwdriver. Start at a corner and work your way through.
insidegtablet.jpg

Locate the area in Red.
tabletunplug.jpg

Now Unplug the battery, left speaker, and capacitive touch cables. Then go through and use a piece of copper braid on your finger or a grounding pad and ground out those connectors as well as surrounding capacitors. *THIS IS A CRITICAL STEP*
unplug.png

Before putting the back on the tablet, throw the Tablet into AVX mode by pressing power and volume down. This will be the first test as to whether or not it worked.
nvflash.png

Yays! We did it and did not have to break out the BusPirate to do JTAG!
img20110610115538.jpg

dpwhite

Jun 14, 2011
Ok... I've pried open my case but I have a question. What exactly do you mean by "grounding out the connectors"? I know this may be a newbie question but since I have already bricked my tablet this is probably my only alternative. I'd appreciate any assistance you can give.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I have said this other places....but while I will leave this posting up I am going to say that NO ONE should be doing this. The odds of this being the only fix to your problem are slim to none, and the odds of BORKING your tablet so it never works right again are high.

If for some reason you really really really think this is the only way to go, find a place in your area that does smartphone repair, print out these instructions, and take it there. For about $20 you can have a professional do it and you may actually wind up with a tablet that still works.

I have been using these tablets since the first one hit the market in July 2010, and have never ever HAD to open one up, and this includes after having done some pretty awful things to my tabs.

Just my opinion and two cents worth....

dpwhite

Jun 14, 2011
Thanks for the advice. I'll contact a smartphone engineer first and see if she can perform the steps listed above.