[HOW TO] Network unlock your Huawei S7 (confirmed for Telstra)

OLDMANSTATIC

Jun 4, 2011
Do you think in it will work on S7-104, US BestBuy/RadioShack version with dual cameras and internal/external sdcard?

Last edited:

rkarsk

May 17, 2011
I was under the impression that version already came unlocked?

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
Do you think in it will work on S7-104, US BestBuy/RadioShack version with dual cameras and internal/external sdcard?
My BestBuy 104 wasn't locked!
They even advertised it as wifi only (idiots!) so what would be the point?

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
Hi all.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to unlock my Huawei S7. I was just about to fork out the dough to unlock it through a third part service when I stumpled upon a post by pvella who said that installing the Norweigan 2.2 rom unlocked his device. What he didn't know was whether flashing a new rom would undo that beneficial change.

Well, I tried it, and in my case my device remained unlocked!

I was using joenillan's FroyoFusiion. I backed up using CWM, and then:

1. Installed Norweigan 2.2. Click for download link.

That's literally the only step. That completely unlocked my Telstra T-Touch.

I then installed the Indonesian 2.2. Device remained unlocked. The final test came by installing FroyoFusion again - and voila, I was able to connect to another network.

I have not tested data or calling (the network I connected to uses different frequencies, so I'm roaming). However, I have managed to receive a text and stay connected to the network, so all should be fine.

If your device was locked to a different provider, or Telstra, please post here and let me know if this method worked for you!

Cheers
This has been posted before, but, worth a repeat.
I think it was pvella that first reported it.

Last edited:

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
I was not the one to find this out. I read it here somewhere and was just spreading the word.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
:eek:
You've got me wondering who it was then?
Seems like best candidate was Chan 2011!
Well done Chan!
Well that was an historical find!
I sometimes wonder if the SIM lock is that simple to over ride then why on earth do they bother?

t.c

Feb 2, 2011
Just confirming that the process worked for my Telstra 104. One thing that I did notice that when re-installing the Indo. ROM it lost radio and after a reboot took about 5 minutes to re-establish. The test was via a H3GA "3"USIM. No indication of Roaming on the device so assume 2100MHz band.

chan2011

May 3, 2011
Seems like best candidate was Chan 2011!
Well done Chan!
Well that was an historical find!
I sometimes wonder if the SIM lock is that simple to over ride then why on earth do they bother?

Well it was your msg that this rom was running so well on your s7 that convinced me to jump and flashed mine!

I suspect Huawei had not planned for this tab to be locked, and only added it as an after thought for the few networks like telstra who asked for it. In realty telstra shouldn't have bothered, as it has the only fast enough 3g network in Australia for the s7 anyway. Like pvella, I have also gone back to a telstra sim. The unlocking does provide the flexibility when going overseas though.

Sent from my IDEOS S7 using Android Tablet Forum

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
Well it was your msg that this rom was running so well on your s7 that convinced me to jump and flashed mine!

I suspect Huawei had not planned for this tab to be locked, and only added it as an after thought for the few networks like telstra who asked for it. In realty telstra shouldn't have bothered, as it has the only fast enough 3g network in Australia for the s7 anyway. Like pvella, I have also gone back to a telstra sim. The unlocking does provide the flexibility when going overseas though.

Hi Chan,
It's strange how we get to find out these things!
As far as the SIM lock is concerned I can't understand why the networks are so paranoid about it.
I have now moved to Tri_zet's South Africam S7 Slim ROM MOD, but, I don't know if that would work on the Telstra model.
Have you tried it?

chan2011

May 3, 2011
Hi Chan,
It's strange how we get to find out these things!
As far as the SIM lock is concerned I can't understand why the networks are so paranoid about it.
I have now moved to Tri_zet's South Africam S7 Slim ROM MOD, but, I don't know if that would work on the Telstra model.
Have you tried it?

No I have stayed with the Norwegian rom. I was worried that the unlocking was not permanent, and have not found enough incentive to try another rom yet. What are the advantages of the south african rom over the norwegian one?

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
I am using the s7 slim mod. All works well. Just don't try to run nandroid backups. It bricks my device.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Tablet Forum